ADVERTISEMENT

What is the future of social media?

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Just watched the new doc on Netflix “Social Dilemma.” Pretty scary stuff even though I could have done without the little acting bits. Social media and screens in general are creating a pretty isolated society, combined with fake news and conspiracy theories, this all has to come to a head at some point doesn’t it?

What is the logical conclusion of this in the next 10-15 years?

Just watched it tonight. Very important watch. I agree that it has a direct relationship with a lot of ills in our society.

Depression, suicide, isolation, and the HUGE division in ideals in the US and the world.

When you have an EASY way to only hear the side of the argument that you agree with... It's no wonder people think "the other side" is crazy

I wish social media would go away or at least change significantly. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

It's weird because I have a kindergartner doing online learning now. He submits an assignment and his teacher will "like" it and give an audio comment. Anyone else in the class can also comment. It really is training kids at a young age to thrive on social media. BTW I like his teacher but hate online learning.

I keep hoping its a fad and will go away. Sadly it just seems to get worse and worse.

I maintain a presence, but don't do a whole lot. I read Twitter for sick amusement, its an ugly mob generally.

I keep hoping its a fad and will go away. Sadly it just seems to get worse and worse.

I maintain a presence, but don't do a whole lot. I read Twitter for sick amusement, its an ugly mob generally.
I use twitter to follow musicians, comedians, and podcasters who mainly use it to promote their stuff which I like. I never interact. And other people wade through the nonsense to find the gems to share here (sounds like I couldn't view some tweets here without an account). Facebook is what new local restaurants use to post info about their menu and hours and specials, so I have a fake name and 0 friends. Instagram is a better version of Twitter for what I use Twitter for. I think they all have their place. And I don't mind sharing data about what podcasts and comedians I like.

I keep a Facebook account only to communicate with a few key relatives and to monitor just how crazy folks have become. Just last night, I was reading a lengthy thread on my stepfather's wall in which a bunch of lightly educated elderly folks are seriously espousing all these theories about the Chinese intentionally creating COVID-19 using U.S. dollars personally delivered to them by Dr. Fauci, as part of some conspiracy driven by Obama. The fact that these folks get to vote is pretty frightening. Although they love to call liberals "sheep," these folks are completely gullible and will believe anything fed to them on Facebook. The Russian bots have targeted them successfully.

I use twitter to follow musicians, comedians, and podcasters who mainly use it to promote their stuff which I like. I never interact. And other people wade through the nonsense to find the gems to share here (sounds like I couldn't view some tweets here without an account). Facebook is what new local restaurants use to post info about their menu and hours and specials, so I have a fake name and 0 friends. Instagram is a better version of Twitter for what I use Twitter for. I think they all have their place. And I don't mind sharing data about what podcasts and comedians I like.

I have unfollowed several people now on Facebook as well.

I just watched the movie. It really is crazy what our world has come to.

Ultimately it all comes down to money. Even the stock market is unethical if you think about it. The company owes it to their investors to make as much money as possible. This leaves no room for ethics.

Money and greed lead to distrust. Distrust has infiltrated our world. We don't trust that the government is telling the truth about covid. Blacks don't trust white people, Dems don't trust Republicans and vice versa. I don't trust trump or Biden will do a good job in the white house. Very few people trust we will get a fair election.

How is it possible to have a functional world when no one trusts anyone else?

Reactions: Chuck C
The documentary was outstanding. While I wish they would have spent more time on the impact that Facebook and Instagram have on individuals and less time on the "Fake News" angle, it was very well-done.

They could have spent hours and hours purely on the "diagnosis" part of this, which is highlighting the terrible impact that social media has on people, the resulting rise in depression and suicide rates, and how our brains simply were not meant for this.

One thing I noticed when I was on Facebook and Instagram is that people who I like and respect in person, were so obnoxious on these platforms (very different from their real life persona) that I ended up thinking much less of them.

The other thing I don't like is the amount of bragging and self-promotion that supposedly well-adjusted adults do on there. You're either contributing to the dissatisfaction of other people who see your bragging posts, or you are in search of a dopamine hit for yourself from likes and comments.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I've said it over and over again, social media will destroy this country (as we know it today anyway) and more than likely lead to the fall of western civilization.

That is not hyperbole

I completely agree that social media (particularly Facebook and Twitter) are destroying our society for a number of different reasons.

This should be a bipartisan issue.

The old people that eat it up will die.

Everybody else will come to realize it’s likely all lies.

In 15 years, everything you "think" will be posted on the internet. Fortunately, I'll be 80 and I'll only be thinking about either lunch or a nap.

Reactions: Tunadog and Moral
I didn't have a facebook account for six years. Got one when I started taking classes again. It's just amazing how much time people spend making multiple postings/rants in a day and how often people don't fact check what they post because it fits their narrative.

Those here that have Facebook, how often do you post?

I probably make about 6-8 posts a year.

It’s interesting. Explores the psychological reasons why we use it in the first place and then goes down a rabbit hole of how it has evolved into an unstoppable force.

It’s told from the perspective of former executives and engineers of the big tech companies.

I'm halfway through it. You could argue HROT is similar to it though.

I think social media will change into 2 things:

1. I use it to document my family's history on facebook. Stuff we are doing, travel, pictures etc. I think there is a use for that or a less social media version. I'll pay 2 bucks a month to monitor the growth of my kids through time.

2. I use to keep up on events and happenings. What beer is coming out at my local brewery, lunch specials at my favorite restaurants, etc. Again this is something I would pay for monthly to have a subscription list.

Cash payment for these things would reduce the rhetoric you see. I don't want to see ads and I don't want to see your political rhetroric. I'm curiously thinking about culling the facebook contacts I have. I used it to see what everyone was doing from high school but now I realize some are close friends, some are people I find interesting online, and some are Q Anon members that I think facebook shows me to stay on the platform and engage them.

Just watched the new doc on Netflix “Social Dilemma.” Pretty scary stuff even though I could have done without the little acting bits. Social media and screens in general are creating a pretty isolated society, combined with fake news and conspiracy theories, this all has to come to a head at some point doesn’t it?

What is the logical conclusion of this in the next 10-15 years?
We’re basically ****ed as a society

I think it does fine as a business tool , if I’m going to meet someone in a business setting, I can normally find out quite a bit about them via Facebook. Also a very easy, convenient way to get the word out about stuff.

I think social media could go a lot further than it currently does, imagine walking into a business and they already know your preferences and what you may or may not purchase. The power is already there for that but privacy issues, etc.

Twitter is great for breaking news and researching sports related topics.

I’d get rid of Facebook if it wasn’t for the business aspect.

King George III thought the printing press was going to be the end of civilization, too.
You should watch the movie. They talk about how we had an advancement and then there is time to understand. Computing/networking power has grown like 1..............................................................................0 in a short period of time. Its going faster than we could ever catch up and we are designing it now to get smarter within itself.

I think it does fine as a business tool , if I’m going to meet someone in a business setting, I can normally find out quite a bit about them via Facebook. Also a very easy, convenient way to get the word out about stuff.

I think social media could go a lot further than it currently does, imagine walking into a business and they already know your preferences and what you may or may not purchase. The power is already there for that but privacy issues, etc.

Twitter is great for breaking news and researching sports related topics.

I’d get rid of Facebook if it wasn’t for the business aspect.
Watch the movie. "Facebook" doesn't care what it is you are looking at, thats a widget. They are making you a sellable product based of your amount of time viewed and can move you emotionally however they want by taping into the "old" parts of the brain that feels socially obligated to respond to those around us via "alerts". (Thats all shitty on its own but the part that is super fuc#y is that the algorithms are designed to get smarter and smarter on thier own for predicting your behavior so it doesn't matter if you search horrible stuff or great stuff they are going to give you more and more of want you want. Ever notice how everytime you go back to "twitter" even just having gone through your feed there is always more post to read?)

Watch the movie. "Facebook" doesn't care what it is you are looking at, thats a widget. They are making you a sellable product based of your amount of time viewed and can move you emotionally however they want by taping into the "old" parts of the brain that feels socially obligated to respond to those around us via "alerts".
I’ll watch it. I happen to find alerts annoying and turn them all off on my phone. The only way I have any pop up alerts is missed calls and texts.

If you guys thought Social Dilemma was great and thought provoking, watch The Great Hack on Netflix. The mix of what’s happening in social media and Citizens United is the reason we are as divided as we are today.

If you guys thought Social Dilemma was great and thought provoking, watch The Great Hack on Netflix. The mix of what’s happening in social media and Citizens United is the reason we are as divided as we are today.
Will do. What was the name of the group the kid followed in SD? Central something.

No one know how it will be with the social media and social networks in 15 years. All we know is that social networks surround us 24/7 and for some of us it is really hard to give up on them. For example I found such and interesting site speakrandom.com where I talk to random people and get to know them well. It is interesting to find out new stuff about the world that surrounds you. I think I am not going to get addicted to it, but it is really hard not to.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT