ADVERTISEMENT

What is the reason for recruiting a RB similar to the one in the same class?

Jun 7, 2009
Iowa
I am wondering why is Iowa after another RB recruit (Kayron Adams 5'9" 192) when it has already has a commitment from Tyler Goodson (5'10" 190). Similiar size and quick foot. Goodson's highlights show better hands for pass catching. I know I don't know what is changing in the Iowa roster. I could see IKM moved to slot position as there is a hole in that spot that needs a playmakers and IKM has shown that his health cannot really withstand the punishment of running thru the tackles. IKM 's move to the slot might be the best for him. That would leave just one quick back in junior Mehki Sargent. Young and Geil are big backs and are more typical north and south runners.

This is where I could see the need for two quicker backs as one injury to Sargent means Iowa is just a one pitch unit. I think Iowa knows 2020 RB recruit Gavin Williams (6'0" 205) is an Iowa lean maybe that is why Iowa is not going with Josh Henderson , as of now. Seems like Josh Henderson is happy staying at UNC but Mack Brown has just named his new OC and a new WR coach. Josh's primary recruiter is RB coach Robert Gillespie just came to UNC last year after being at Tennessee for 5 years. Curious if Brown changes coaches and if that will have an effect.

Anyway, I am wondering how Tyler Goodson is feeling about this recent development. Just don't want to lose him as he has not waivered during this recruitment cycle. Open for opinions and comments. Go Hawks!

Surround yourself with as many quality players as you can get.
Iowa seems to have changed philosophy a little concerning play time.
More people at more positions are getting reps and IMO that is imperative to building a strong consistent program.
If a player can get game time and not hurt you at a position then get them experience and see if they can blossom into a regular achiever for you.

I am wondering why is Iowa after another RB recruit (Kayron Adams 5'9" 192) when it has already has a commitment from Tyler Goodson (5'10" 190). Similiar size and quick foot. Goodson's highlights show better hands for pass catching. I know I don't know what is changing in the Iowa roster. I could see IKM moved to slot position as there is a hole in that spot that needs a playmakers and IKM has shown that his health cannot really withstand the punishment of running thru the tackles. IKM 's move to the slot might be the best for him. That would leave just one quick back in junior Mehki Sargent. Young and Geil are big backs and are more typical north and south runners.

This is where I could see the need for two quicker backs as one injury to Sargent means Iowa is just a one pitch unit. I think Iowa knows 2020 RB recruit Gavin Williams (6'0" 205) is an Iowa lean maybe that is why Iowa is not going with Josh Henderson , as of now. Seems like Josh Henderson is happy staying at UNC but Mack Brown has just named his new OC and a new WR coach. Josh's primary recruiter is RB coach Robert Gillespie just came to UNC last year after being at Tennessee for 5 years. Curious if Brown changes coaches and if that will have an effect.

Anyway, I am wondering how Tyler Goodson is feeling about this recent development. Just don't want to lose him as he has not waivered during this recruitment cycle. Open for opinions and comments. Go Hawks!

The Iowa offense needs big plays from the RB position. Largely that didn't happen this year. Sargent emerged the last 2 games, but how much of that is him taking a step forward and how much is the fact that the Illinois and Nebraska run defenses were hot garbage?

I doubt Goodson is concerned at all. If you are a RB being recruited by P5 teams, you have to know there will be competition to get on the field. Goodson or any other guy Iowa brings in will have the opportunity to get on the field in 2019 if they can create big plays.

Reactions: IAHawk2011

I'm looking at it that this is just the second year of Brian as the OC. He saw how a shifty running back can excel in his offense, so he wants to fill his team with that type of running back. I'm actually pretty excited with whom they are going after.

Surround yourself with as many quality players as you can get.
Iowa seems to have changed philosophy a little concerning play time.
More people at more positions are getting reps and IMO that is imperative to building a strong consistent program.
If a player can get game time and not hurt you at a position then get them experience and see if they can blossom into a regular achiever for you.

Depth.

I hope they go for athletic TEs and shifty RBs. One big WR. Kind of like a GT team from the past but more pro style.
Find your own niche Brian.

One guy is faster than the other. One guy can block better than the other. One guy can catch better than the other. One guy has better Vision than the other. After Sam Brownlee becoming a starting running back it's safe to say you can't have enough running backs.

Kayron looks good though he is not being recruited by top level schools. I would like to see Iowa go after bigger fish for a second back. At some point you have to recruit against the type of program you want to be.

Reactions: td77 and JAMAM

2017 Class

Highest rated RB recruit...Kyshaun Bryant...didn't pan out transferred.

Also in class...IKM...has panned out and both had similar abilities on paper

Reactions: Suterman

Its sort of the same as recruiting a QB, not all of your prospects are going to work out once they get to IC. The turnover is really high in skill positions because they all want playing time.

Reactions: JAMAM
Kay'ron reminds me a little bit of Freddy Russell. Very patient and when he see's his hole he goes. Like his tape. Goodson reminds me a bit of Shonn Greene. That would be a really good 1-2 punch. Move Geil to FB

Paraphrasing Norm Parker....

Get the good football players on the bus. Figure out how to use them once they're on campus.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Not sure what Adams plans are right now. He'll take his visit here, then possibly flip. A number of people thought he would jump to us, but he may not be.

Because we should of took both Goodson and Brock at the time but effed it up.
I personally never understood the hype with Brock I just don't see special with him, goodson blew him out of the water against I'm guessing way better competition.

Kay'ron reminds me a little bit of Freddy Russell. Very patient and when he see's his hole he goes. Like his tape. Goodson reminds me a bit of Shonn Greene. That would be a really good 1-2 punch. Move Geil to FB

I’m with you on the Fred Russell comparison for Adams, but you lost me on the Shonn Greene comparison. Goodson is basically an Akrum Wadley clone, and that is what they sold him on being. A major part of Iowa’s inconsistency on offense this year was the lack of explosive plays in the running game; both players look like they can help in that area.

Reactions: millhawk
Yeah, sounds like Adams is out. Must have recommitted to Rutgers staff. On to the next.

Because board posters always project the most perfect career arch. That doesn't normally happen in real life.

One won't develop, will get injured, will have grade or off the field problems, will transfer. Possibly both.

Paraphrasing Norm Parker....

Get the good football players on the bus. Figure out how to use them once they're on campus.

Yes. It's why really every year you have to recruit at all positions. I'm sure they go into every class with parameters on what they would like to recruit for each position, but the goal is to improve the roster every year. And the reality is the guys you recruit this year can't really be counted on to contribute for 1-2 years in the future, in all but the most rare of cases. The only true freshmen to make a big impact this year were Brents and Moss. There were others who played, but those 2 started multiple games.

Every single year Iowa should be recruiting a QB, the best WR's they can get, the best 1-2 RB's they can find and so on through every position. The reality is that the ones who rise to the top will stay in your program and be contributors, and many of those blocked for PT at QB or RB (where it's harder to play a bunch of guys) will move on. It is a competitive environment, and not every guy recruited will be a contributor.

Recruiting is a numbers game as much as anything.

Nebraska RBs brought in last 2 classes for Frost

2019 4 star Dedrcik Mills
2019 4 star Wandale Robinson (WR/RB combo)
2019 4 star Rahmir Johnson
2019 3 star Ronald Thompkins
2018 3 star Maurice Washington
2018 4 star Greg Bell
2018 4 star Miles Jones (WR/RB combo)

7 RBs. Some of them will have to be great players. The ones behind on the depth chart will leave and thats fine. (Bell already left) Why put all you eggs in 1 basket?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT