ADVERTISEMENT

What is the root cause of the problems in America today?

Extremists on both sides making the loudest noises and putting a wedge between left and right, even though those near the center probably have more in common with each other than with the Extremists on their respective sides.
Social media contributes to this.
The loudest noises come from far right propaganda machines like Fox News. There has not been one subject brought up by the left recently that has anything to do with a wedge being made.

Progressive policies are actually very popular when they are put in place.

I dont think you can say for sure that Republicans are the minority when only half the people vote.

To answer op: media and social media.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I dont think you can say for sure that Republicans are the minority when only half the people vote.

To answer op: media and social media.

62% of those old enough to vote voted in 2020. About 69% of those eligible to vote voted. About 75% of people age 45+ voted. Older voters are more likely to be conservative.

Greed and guns. America is obsessed with both. Lol at voting. First we need to get truly qualified individuals and leave money out of politics. Neither of those will happen in my life time. Maybe we should spend less time quarreling about politics and spend more time taking care of our planet. That’s something everyone should get behind.

1. The Corrupt Media

2. The Educational System

3. Broken Families

4. Drugs, Gangs, and the lack of leadership

5. Everybody is a victim and the lack of accountability In the country.

6. Selfishness

7. Social Media
Did the corrupt media lie and send Ashli Babbitt to her death? Seems the media tried to warn all those dead right wing radio hosts about Covid vaccine misinformation.

The right wing opinion media is purposely dividing America with their quest for power and Christianity is overstepping its constitutional boundaries. Support for neo Nazi's is now a right wing norm, forgetting all about the American soldiers who Nazi's killed.

Gangs, lol.

I'd say the root of all human evil everywhere is the lack of the Golden Rule.

If everyone woke up tomorrow and treated others the way they would like to be treated, this world would look like a paradise real quick.
Mic drop and end thread.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
1. The Corrupt Media

2. The Educational System

3. Broken Families

4. Drugs, Gangs, and the lack of leadership

5. Everybody is a victim and the lack of accountability In the country.

6. Selfishness

7. Social Media
This is more accurate than the OP.

i think there’s a variety of factors at play. Politics has always been politics, but these days there’s no decorum or respect. My way or the highway mentality is all there is anymore. Part of the reason is cable tv and the rise of political opinion shows. I do think the removal of the Fairness Doctrine played a big role in this. Then, you have the rise of social media where anyone can say anything and it’s broadcast out for all to see. Prior to this folks had these conversations at the barbershop or water cooler… and it wasn’t anonymous so some of the inappropriate thoughts you might have had in your head probably wouldn’t be said… being anonymous online removes that filter. I know people like to blame Trump for this, but to me he is just a result of the environment that’s been fostered over the past 25 years or so.

If opinion news went away, social media made you authorize/confirm your identity like they do for gambling so you weren’t anonymous a lot of the rhetoric and foolishness would end. It wouldn’t go away because those people would still think or feel the way that they do, but they wouldn’t be programmed nor have a platform to say anything while being anonymous.

The problem in my mind is that our political system encourages the development of 2 parties. You don't win elections on merit or really on your own ideas. Mostly you win by presenting yourself as an alternative to the other side. So the tendency is to move to the extremes.
I would argue that this is reflected in the legislation as well. Ideals behind laws are more important than the results. On top of all of this there is little benefit to forward thinking. The horizon for politicians is a few years. You can't make good policy decisions on that time line.

Why blame kids for behaving selfishly when our whole society is based on the idea that individuals acting in their own interests produce the optimum economic and social outcomes? This strange theory about human behaviour has helped to create many of the problems we face today as a society, including economic and environmental crises, as well as high levels of social dysfunction, manifesting in suicide, crime, violence, stress, relationship breakdown, child abuse and anti-social behaviour.

I do have one issue with the author. His use of the term "contemporary capitalism." The word contemporary is not needed.

Reactions: HawkNester
The problem in my mind is that our political system encourages the development of 2 parties. You don't win elections on merit or really on your own ideas. Mostly you win by presenting yourself as an alternative to the other side. So the tendency is to move to the extremes.
I would argue that this is reflected in the legislation as well. Ideals behind laws are more important than the results. On top of all of this there is little benefit to forward thinking. The horizon for politicians is a few years. You can't make good policy decisions on that time line.
well said

Are you serious? Because they stir up bullshit for ratings. They ignore reality and only report what will generate views.
They aren't propagating alternative facts or misinformation - ratings aren't decaying our democracy.

Reality is the right wing opinion media has right wingers supporting the enemy our soldiers died fighting against in both world wars... and they don't see that shocking revelation.

Reactions: noleclone2
Disinformation being spread unchecked by paid propagandists and paid trolls, and then amplified by millions of bots, using our social media and our cable “news”media to create a large chunk of gullible, fearful, angry and easy to manipulate people living in an alternative reality AND an alternative history.

Number 1 with a bullet.

Reactions: HawkMD and JWolf74
There was a moment in time where both repubs and dems were serious working on election reform. (I believe it was either Bush 1 or Clinton) Anywhoo, the two did reach a bipartisan deal...to further entrench themselves from being challenged or being accountable.

They aren't propagating alternative facts or misinformation - ratings aren't decaying our democracy.

Reality is the right wing opinion media has right wingers supporting the enemy our soldiers died fighting against in both world wars... and they don't see that shocking revelation.
The top right wing media outlet right now is the Daily Wire owned by Ben Shapiro and I am pretty dam sure he dosen't support Nazi's.

They don't have to propagate misinformation. They only have to leave out pertinent information. They only have to add opinion to how the information should be judged. They only have to choose to cover stories that fit and not others.

Right wing opinion media is certainly very guilty but not the only ones. Not the only ones by far.

I understand the system is pretty messed up. It favors the minority party (republicans,) you can’t even argue that.

However all of the people who are complaining about the recent events and say their vote doesn’t matter, need to stfu.

We have these problems because people refuse to believe their vote doesn’t matter. Republican legislators are just doing what they are elected to do. If you don’t like the outcome, vote for the Democrats.

The root of the problem is the people who elect these officials, and those who refuse to believe their vote doesn’t matter, those who claim it’s “both sides” causing all the problems.

Y’all need to wake tfu.
Religion and overabundance of guns.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1298
Then they need to pass better legislation that both sides can get on board with.
Lol wut? This is an all in effort by the GQP. There is no negotiating unless Murkowski and Colllins finally see the light and do the right thing after being lied to by these illegitimate justices.

(perhaps they do see it)
The top right wing media outlet right now is the Daily Wire owned by Ben Shapiro and I am pretty dam sure he dosen't support Nazi's.
Ben Shapiro's Tiki torch is bright, bruh.

Lol wut? This is an all in effort by the GQP. There is no negotiating unless Murkowski and Colllins finally see the light and do the right thing after being lied to by these illegitimate justices.
Agreed, Elena Kagan and Sotomayor said under oath they would follow the Constitution and not follow political activism of their parties desired outcome.

They don't have to propagate misinformation. They only have to leave out pertinent information. They only have to add opinion to how the information should be judged. They only have to choose to cover stories that fit and not others.

Right wing opinion media is certainly very guilty but not the only ones. Not the only ones by far.
The right wing opinion media killed Ashli Babbitt and Rosanne Boyland just like Trump did - yet another thing right wingers fail to recognize.

ADVERTISEMENT