What is the scoop on the S Dakota State game

texas twister

HR Heisman
Jan 14, 2005
Are you going to be watching this year? The kids will be allowed to kneel btw.
I think that there were 2 that took a knee last year and one of them is now at PU. It was hard to tell if any took a knee because the TV cameras didn't show it. Should I boycott the whole team for the actions of 2?

obfuscating

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2016
I think that there were 2 that took a knee last year and one of them is now at PU. It was hard to tell if any took a knee because the TV cameras didn't show it. Should I boycott the whole team for the actions of 2?
That's one parties mantra nowadays.

jonesy5960

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2012
I think you should my man. You can't properly feign outrage over something like this if you let anything slide.

oldnewkirk.0

All-Conference
Oct 4, 2019
I doubt anyone can definitively answer that question today. He hasn't been in pads for 8 months has he?
The football Facebook page posted a picture of him in pads at practice earlier this week, not sure if it was current or not…I’ve heard rumblings of another injured WR, but nothing confirmed.

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
The football Facebook page posted a picture of him in pads at practice earlier this week, not sure if it was current or not…I’ve heard rumblings of another injured WR, but nothing confirmed.
KJ has been practicing in full gear this week. Supposedly its Ragaini in a walking boot. Not sure how serious or if its just precautionary

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0

F5n5

HR All-State
Aug 7, 2020
Freakin Iowa
good grief...
Tracy leaves, Jones leaves, Ritter is out, Vines is out...
now Ragaini is out..
whats that leave us with?
Alec Wick?... wasn't he on the bench last year as some sort of water boy?

Reactions: not_mantiteo

Hawgk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2013
Easton Stick in at QB for Chargers tonight. Remember him of NDSU game? SDSU does not have a QB like him.
Actually they do have an athletic QB who is a lot like him. He won Conference offensive player of the year as a true freshman and likely would have won them a national championship had he not got hurt at the beginning of the title game.

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
good grief...
Tracy leaves, Jones leaves, Ritter is out, Vines is out...
now Ragaini is out..
whats that leave us with?
Alec Wick?... wasn't he on the bench last year as some sort of water boy?
Hopefully we get some production from KJ and Brecht shows up to help Bruce keep this going. Of course Wick has been mentioned and theirs some buzz around Wetjen the transfer from Juco being "Charlie Jones like'. TE's and RB's will have to be involved as well in the pass game.....

SDHawkDoc

HR Heisman
Jan 27, 2013
If the Iowa O is as inept as last year it's possible sdsu could hang around.
Hopefully the defense will be lights out as expected. If that's the case, and there's any semblance of an Iowa running game, outcome should never be in doubt even if the score is not a blowout.

jpphawk

HR MVP
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2008
SDSU has two very good receivers and two very good tight ends. Their QB was hurt last year but as a true Fresh the year before he took them to FCS championship game. Same story with stud RB, hurt last year, very good year before. Their coach recently said this is the best offense he has ever had. They are coming in planning on winning. Both my sons go to SDSU but they will have their Hawkeye gear on at the game. As a South Dakotan with many SDSU friends I hope we kick their ass.

Ronman

HR Heisman
Jan 4, 2004
Planet Iowa
You are not remembering the NDST game well. They dominated Iowa physically. They ran for 240 yds while Iowa had maybe 40. Iowa went out and hired their oline coach the next season.
iirc Iowa had less than 250 total yds against them.
Hoping Iowa can control the line play this year
Wonder why Iowa doesn't try to hire away some other teams Offensive Coordinator to fix that problem area?

fezzador

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2006
Most services don't do FCS v FBS games. I couldn't find anything here

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/
Yep, those games are pretty hard to find line-wise. It’s a shame because FCS teams upset FBS teams several times per season, and NDSU could well be favored over multiple P5 teams (NDSU would likely be a full TD fave over Kansas and may even be the favorite over Arizona, which isn’t all that much better than KU, and they’re also scheduled to play this fall).

If I had to guess, Iowa would probably be an 11-14 point favorite. Kind of a no-man’s land for bettors, and the kind of line that makes Iowa fans a bit nervous. I’d probably bet on Iowa as a 9.5 point favorite but considering how good Iowa is defensively that is probably a little disrespectful, but then again lines aren’t necessarily meant to gauge how much better Team A should be over Team B, but rather about the house trying to get as close to a split down the middle as possiblex

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
If Padilla was our qb I wouldn’t touch this game but with Petras playing, I’d definitely take SDSt with some points.

I’d like to see what the experts would place a line at.

14.5 or more points + Petras = SD State bet
Don't gamble. This is why. Petras is better at every aspect of QBing except mobility. Alex throws an ugly wobbly ball. They're hard to catch, leading to a lot more "drops" and, of course, a 49% completion rate-which is utterly unacceptable, especially on a team that needs a much higher completion rate because we do not throw often. Petras' 57.3% isn't great but still much much better than sub .500.

Since a measly 6 yards was Alex's longest gain from scrimmage the "greater mobility" factor is more mythical than real, or at least from a practical perspective. Alex is probably better at escaping the sack, theoretically giving him a chance to make more plays. In reality, he doesn't make those plays as shown by the 1 TD every 56 passes and only two in the equivalent of about 5 games of actual playing time. Petras throws a lowly 1 TD every every 28.8 passes so, in reality, we're about twice as likely to score through the air with Petras at the helm.

Petras produces more yards per pass: 6.5 to 5.7, which means hitting more longer passes to a significant degree-and Petras' number there is far less than great. Even the Petras interceptions were clustered in two games. Four against Purdue and three against Kentucky. The typical Petras game doesn't feature many turnovers. Alex doesn't turn the ball over much either to be fair.

Petras also played the last 2 and a quarter games with an impairment to the one skill in which has a superior skill, arm strength.

The bookies get rich off emotional "gut" feelings, or a preference for a specific player. That's all the pro Padilla lobby has to support their argument. The guys making the line are breaking the game down on a more microscopic level than I am so they won't see much but down side from Alex playing-that will shrink the spread but also, on the field, decreases the chance to cover. See, I just saved you $550. Your wife thanks me cuz they're usually pissed at their men for gambling. ;)

Having said the foregoing I do take Iowa for $100 every game all season, violating all the well acquired advice one gets growing up among gambling folk. The heart wants what the heart wants, at least for few hundred dollars.

BonzoFury

HR All-State
Feb 4, 2022
Yep, those games are pretty hard to find line-wise. It’s a shame because FCS teams upset FBS teams several times per season, and NDSU could well be favored over multiple P5 teams (NDSU would likely be a full TD fave over Kansas and may even be the favorite over Arizona, which isn’t all that much better than KU, and they’re also scheduled to play this fall).

If I had to guess, Iowa would probably be an 11-14 point favorite. Kind of a no-man’s land for bettors, and the kind of line that makes Iowa fans a bit nervous. I’d probably bet on Iowa as a 9.5 point favorite but considering how good Iowa is defensively that is probably a little disrespectful, but then again lines aren’t necessarily meant to gauge how much better Team A should be over Team B, but rather about the house trying to get as close to a split down the middle as possiblex
It's almost like they're saying "Yeah, FBS teams shouldn't be playing FCS teams". ;)