ADVERTISEMENT

What is the scoop on the S Dakota State game

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
What all do they have? Can they really beat us? I know N Dakota State beat us but it was rather fluky when CJB gets blindsided and the ball pops up in the air and a defender grabs it and runs it in for a TD, iirc. N Dakota State didnt move the ball much in the first half. The hawks looked rough in that one and then a blatant holding by NDS lets their QB loose for a big gain to get to the winning field goal. Those are the ways teams get upset.

Does SDS have the offense to threaten our defense? If their offense is just average I see our defense handling them very well. If the SDS defense can't stop our running game I think the hawks will win.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaBuffoon4Skers
South Dakota State is a solid team. They beat Colorado State 42-23 last year. That score makes that game closer than it was. Iowa struggled beating CSU 24-14 last year. This is a big game for South Dakota State. They won't be intimidated. My guess is that Iowa will win by 7 or 10 in a game that's way too close for comfort.

We’re not Ohio State or Georgia. We can’t sleepwalk past these guys and expect to win by 17+.

Not worried about the defense. They can hold SDSt to 14 barring some sort of unforeseen mishap, but we can’t sugarcoat the other side of the ball. We stank last year in every way imaginable. Part of that is a very green offensive line, so my guess is this years offense will go as the OL goes. If it improves enough to produce a competent rushing attack, it can open up the passing game. Our passing game - TEs excluded - has been nothing short of a national punchline, but it’s been that way for a long time. We pride ourselves on a strong offensive line, but we haven’t had a good (I can say we’ve been average some years, but not truly good lately) rushing attack in years, which makes our passing game suffer tremendously as well.

We’re a Big Ten team, so we better start acting like one. Run the damn ball. Even when it doesn’t work well, just stick with it because it will pay off with persistence and patience. Minimize turnovers, don’t commit silly penalties, and let the D do its thing and that should be good for a 2-score win 9 times out of 10. It won’t be much to look at in the stat sheet Sunday morning, but it also won’t give ISU much to look at for the following week either.

Ball security is the only thing I worry about in these games. We will have a new center exchange playing their first game together, some relative green running backs, and a receiving core that drops on target passes and is prone to tip balls. If we give them hope early it could be a long afternoon.

South Dakota State is a solid team. They beat Colorado State 42-23 last year. That score makes that game closer than it was. Iowa struggled beating CSU 24-14 last year. This is a big game for South Dakota State. They won't be intimidated. My guess is that Iowa will win by 7 or 10 in a game that's way too close for comfort.
Iowa will win by more than 7-10… Iowa 38-10

What all do they have? Can they really beat us? I know N Dakota State beat us but it was rather fluky when CJB gets blindsided and the ball pops up in the air and a defender grabs it and runs it in for a TD, iirc. N Dakota State didnt move the ball much in the first half. The hawks looked rough in that one and then a blatant holding by NDS lets their QB loose for a big gain to get to the winning field goal. Those are the ways teams get upset.

Does SDS have the offense to threaten our defense? If their offense is just average I see our defense handling them very well. If the SDS defense can't stop our running game I think the hawks will win.

You are not remembering the NDST game well. They dominated Iowa physically. They ran for 240 yds while Iowa had maybe 40. Iowa went out and hired their oline coach the next season.
iirc Iowa had less than 250 total yds against them.
Hoping Iowa can control the line play this year

You are not remembering the NDST game well. They dominated Iowa physically. They ran for 240 yds while Iowa had maybe 40. Iowa went out and hired their oline coach the next season.
That was brutal how the defense could not hold their run game that day. Easton Stick was no slouch at QB.

Reactions: IAGuy and amahawk
363 to 231 total yards. 25 rushes, 34 yards.

There was nothing fluky about losing to NDSU. We played right into their hands, exactly the kind of game they wanted. They executed their game plan and Iowa was sleep walking.

Believe they have a very athletic dual threat QB that will give Iowa fits, but I expect the D will be up to the challenge
He is gone. Drafted by the Steelers. Their RB from last year that was a stud was drafted by the Patriots.

They have another stud QB who redshirted last year due to injury. Had a lot of accolades the prior year.

That was the weird covid year where they played in the Spring. I don't take too much away from that. Have a hard time believing they have another draft pick at QB or one that can seriously challenge this Iowa defense.

I have alot of respect for good FCS teams that have a fall camp to prepare for us. I think Iowa is just too physical in the trenches defensively...and our offense should be able to run the ball.

Reactions: ichawk24
SDSU is a good FCS team but unless Iowa totally implodes, this game won't be close. They lost a ton from last year's team.
Aren't they a favorite to win the FCS championship this year? I remember watching CSU last year and it was another eye opener. I think Iowa was a 3 touchdown favorite. The Hawk offense was absolutely brutal in the first half. Seven points and 4 or 5 first downs is all they could manage. 12 first downs total on the day with 278 yards, only 54 on the ground. As it was with NDSU, the Iowa oline was completely dominated by a team that had no business dominating anyone. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened again.

Aren't they a favorite to win the FCS championship this year? I remember watching CSU last year and it was another eye opener. I think Iowa was a 3 touchdown favorite. The Hawk offense was absolutely brutal in the first half. Seven points and 4 or 5 first downs is all they could manage. 12 first downs total on the day with 278 yards, only 54 on the ground. As it was with NDSU, the Iowa oline was completely dominated by a team that had no business dominating anyone. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened again.
No they aren't the favorite. Iowa's offense won't be as bad as last year.
This isn't NDSU. This reminds me more of Illinois St several years back.
Only reason Colorado State was close was because of a shanked punt and an interception.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
More concerned about SD State than the Clowns. Jacks outplayed Minnesota there a couple of years ago. A couple of penalties killed the,.

Reactions: shudaddy
Not for nothing, but believe we were down two starters on the offensive line, off what was not a very deep squad that year.

Their DE's are fairly lite. For pass blocking Iowa's OT's best be quick, if that's possible.

No they aren't the favorite. Iowa's offense won't be as bad as last year.
This isn't NDSU. This reminds me more of Illinois St several years back.
Only reason Colorado State was close was because of a shanked punt and an interception.
It was close because the offense was awful. 54 yards on 32 rushing attempts for a 1.7 yard average. 8 TFL's and 3 sacks. 12 total first downs. 4/13 on third down. It was bad and it didn't really get better as the season wore on.

It was close because the offense was awful. 54 yards on 32 rushing attempts for a 1.7 yard average. 8 TFL's and 3 sacks. 12 total first downs. 4/13 on third down. It was bad and it didn't really get better as the season wore on.
What I was saying even with a historically bad offense it wouldn't have been close minus the two mistakes that gave Col. St field position in Iowa territory. And I don't see anyway the offense is that bad again.

ADVERTISEMENT