ADVERTISEMENT

What is the scoop on the S Dakota State game

The players have no 1st Amendment rights when acting within the scope of their employment/contractual relationship. The law on that is clear.

Stand your ground Texas. I think people are getting increasingly tired of the race baiting.
People are tired of racists more than they are tired of race-baiting.

Reactions: Ree4
True ... but Josh Allen was also surrounded by a bunch of new WRs that season. It makes it harder on the QB when he cannot trust his targets.
How many QBs did this defense knock out of the game with injury or just plain got them yanked last season? I know SDSU's QB likes to run and I hope he does and meets one of the LBs head on.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
How many QBs did this defense knock out of the game with injury or just plain got them yanked last season? I know SDSU's QB likes to run and I hope he does and meets one of the LBs head on.
Their coach said they are going to try and limit his running because of how physical Iowa's defense is.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
I remember the 2008 Iowa game against Maine. Maine was thoroughly outmatched the entire game ... but our defense still was rather underwhelming ... letting the Black Bears run far too successfully against us.

The flip side of that affair is that a cocky young guy name Ricky Stanzi made the most of his snaps ... and lit up the Black Bears with the snaps that he was allotted.

No doubt that SDSU is FAR BETTER than the '08 Maine squad. Furthermore, heading into '22, Iowa has far too many "key pieces" currently out (injured).

Consequently, I don't expect a very comfortable or flashy game whatsoever. It may resemble something more akin to the 2017 opener against Wyoming ... perhaps with the difference that that Wyoming D is likely better than what we'll see this Saturday ... whereas the SDSU O will likely be better than what we saw from Wyoming in '17.
I just don't see the D giving up more than 10 points unless major TO's that lead to really short fields. I imagine Iowa won't try to show much offensively (and with WR depth being thin) and will want to establish the run game.

I am fully expecting half the Iowa fan base to be complaining after the game because Iowa didn't "dominate" and lots of crying about BF/Petras and talking about how Iowa will struggle against most of the Big Ten and the usual 5-7/6-6 predictions (even though that never happens).

I just don't see the D giving up more than 10 points unless major TO's that lead to really short fields. I imagine Iowa won't try to show much offensively (and with WR depth being thin) and will want to establish the run game.

I am fully expecting half the Iowa fan base to be complaining after the game because Iowa didn't "dominate" and lots of crying about BF/Petras and talking about how Iowa will struggle against most of the Big Ten and the usual 5-7/6-6 predictions (even though that never happens).
In other words ... you're expecting the "usual?"

Reactions: owenhawk
I was at that game.. he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Amazing what he has become in the NFL
Yeah Iowa was the best defense he had played by far to that point in his college career. And his first game without the leading receiver from the previous year. You could see the ability, could really move and had a very strong arm. But the Iowa D suffocated he and the entire Wyoming offense that day.

A bit similar to 2003 when Iowa defense picked Roethlisberger 4 times and Iowa won 21-3 or something like that. You could really see the ability of Big Ben back then, but even a great future pro QB can look overwhelmed when under a strong rush with just 4 guys and a good secondary that can cover.

It's why the good NFL front-offices are unique/good at what they do. Have to see beyond what a guy does in college stats/performance.

7 of 11 starters will be sophomores on Iowa's offense, at least that is what the radio had on this morning. Young pups.

You misrepresented me. I stated something similiar but not what you said. Several kneeled 2 years ago and I did not watch the games as a result. Last year, I only saw 2 kneel and one was Tracy. The other was not a player I recognized. Out of support for the rest of the team and my entertainment, I watched. This year is a wait and see year again. KF should not have allowed it; but, it was always about those that actually disrespected flag/country/those that served.
To me , kneeling is so 2016!

I think SDSU plays well enough to make the Hawkeyes nervous at least for part of the game.

I see like 21 - 3 at the half. Final of 38 - 13 or something like that.

One thing I know for sure is these jackasses won't get that 20 point mark because Phil's forehead artery will burst if they do and break that streak.

• Haha
Reactions: reotto and owenhawk
SDSU will come out confident and they'll come out talking smack.

We need to be able to knock them down and shut them up.

Not going to be easy.

Yep our 120th ranked offense is so dominating that we won’t have to show anything. People were saying the same thing last year, and the offense never did show anything all year. Our offense did struggle against most of the conference last year.

Yep our 120th ranked offense is so dominating that we won’t have to show anything. People were saying the same thing last year, and the offense never did show anything all year. Our offense did struggle against most of the conference last year.
10 out of 12 times we scored more than the other team.

You might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said they "won't" show anything as in they are going to be as vanilla as possible because they usually are in non-conf games like this. And Iowa will win but it won't be in a dominating fashion and the casual (as well as the perpetually pessimistic) will see that as a sign that Iowa is bound to be 5-7 or 6-6. Will be struggling to make a Bowl Game. And on and on ... even though that hasn't been the case for a long time. But yet every year, you will find plenty of fans whining that is going to be the case.

Just last year after losing back-to-back games, you could find Hawkeye fans all over Twitter saying they couldn't see Iowa winning much, if anymore, games in the Big Ten and yet, they won them all to win the Division after that.

Yes, the Offense wasn't good last year and had a bad year. You realize they were 40th in the Nation the year before with ONLY conference games and the same QB right?

Things are not exactly the same EVERY year as far as their performance goes. You don't think with better OL and RB play that the Offense might not be better?

The last two FBS opponents SDSU has played is Minnesota in 2019 and Colorado State in 2021. SDSU was up 21-20 with less than 6 minutes left and probably should have beat Minnesota before Minnesota went on to start the season 9-0. They also beat Colorado State last year 42-23 and the game wasn't even close

You might want to work on your reading comprehension. I said they "won't" show anything as in they are going to be as vanilla as possible because they usually are in non-conf games like this. And Iowa will win but it won't be in a dominating fashion and the casual (as well as the perpetually pessimistic) will see that as a sign that Iowa is bound to be 5-7 or 6-6. Will be struggling to make a Bowl Game. And on and on ... even though that hasn't been the case for a long time. But yet every year, you will find plenty of fans whining that is going to be the case.

Just last year after losing back-to-back games, you could find Hawkeye fans all over Twitter saying they couldn't see Iowa winning much, if anymore, games in the Big Ten and yet, they won them all to win the Division after that.

Yes, the Offense wasn't good last year and had a bad year. You realize they were 40th in the Nation the year before with ONLY conference games and the same QB right?

Things are not exactly the same EVERY year as far as their performance goes. You don't think with better OL and RB play that the Offense might not be better?
1. Iowa’s offense is basically “vanilla” the entire season.
2. You can pretty much throw out the 2020 season when it comes to stats.

That said, I’m hoping for an improved offense this season.

1. Iowa’s offense is basically “vanilla” the entire season.
2. You can pretty much throw out the 2020 season when it comes to stats.

That said, I’m hoping for an improved offense this season.
1. It is vanilla compared to a lot - doesn't mean they don't try different wrinkles or show more at different points of the season.

2. Why?

Ummmmm……Covid.
Ok? They didn't even have Non-Conf games to build up their stats. It's ok to just say they had a better Offense that year and played well. A better OL will do that - makes the run game and QB's look better. Hopefully, the OL makes that jump and/or at least improves as we get into Big Ten play.

Ok? They didn't even have Non-Conf games to build up their stats. It's ok to just say they had a better Offense that year and played well. A better OL will do that - makes the run game and QB's look better. Hopefully, the OL makes that jump and/or at least improves as we get into Big Ten play.
Yeah, the covid-year excuse doesn't really pass muster. Everyone had to deal with it ... and it essentially impacted each program equally.

Are we to say that Daviyon Nixon didn't have a dominant performance that year? To me, it's disrespecting the players to not account for what they put into things that season ... particularly in the face of all that adversity.

The Iowa OL had experienced guys in Banwart, Jackson, and Linderbaum. Kallenberger had seen a lot or prior game reps too. Ince broke onto the scene ... as did Schott ... so those guys rotated. On top of that, we had an experienced transfer in Cronk in the OL room.

Iowa's top RBs that season were averaging over 5 yards a pop! That's a sign of good RB play AND good run-blocking!

Not surprisingly, Iowa was pretty efficient scoring points ... and we played pretty darn well after those 2 early season losses. A lesser team would have folded after having lost their opening 2 games.

Yeah, the covid-year excuse doesn't really pass muster. Everyone had to deal with it ... and it essentially impacted each program equally.

Are we to say that Daviyon Nixon didn't have a dominant performance that year? To me, it's disrespecting the players to not account for what they put into things that season ... particularly in the face of all that adversity.

The Iowa OL had experienced guys in Banwart, Jackson, and Linderbaum. Kallenberger had seen a lot or prior game reps too. Ince broke onto the scene ... as did Schott ... so those guys rotated. On top of that, we had an experienced transfer in Cronk in the OL room.

Iowa's top RBs that season were averaging over 5 yards a pop! That's a sign of good RB play AND good run-blocking!

Not surprisingly, Iowa was pretty efficient scoring points ... and we played pretty darn well after those 2 early season losses. A lesser team would have folded after having lost their opening 2 games.
100% all you said. The Covid excuse doesn't hold up because the teams still played and Iowa played 8 Big Ten games.

And as you said, the OL was experienced and solid and you had a Mekhi Sargeant carving out 4-5 yards per carry straight ahead, who I think was much more similar to Gavin and LeShon and a nice change of pace to the type of back Goodson was.

My hope is that is closer to the type of offense Iowa has this year. Strong(er) OL, downhill running attack, and that leads to more efficient play from whoever is at QB (Petras OR Padilla). Considering the Defense is likely to be even better than in 2020, that is why there is reason for optimism.

100% all you said. The Covid excuse doesn't hold up because the teams still played and Iowa played 8 Big Ten games.

And as you said, the OL was experienced and solid and you had a Mekhi Sargeant carving out 4-5 yards per carry straight ahead, who I think was much more similar to Gavin and LeShon and a nice change of pace to the type of back Goodson was.

My hope is that is closer to the type of offense Iowa has this year. Strong(er) OL, downhill running attack, and that leads to more efficient play from whoever is at QB (Petras OR Padilla). Considering the Defense is likely to be even better than in 2020, that is why there is reason for optimism.
Yeah ... in '19, Mekhi surprised me by running more tentatively than I expected. Then, he followed that in '20, really running more decisively ... the exclamation point of that being his 5.7 ypc with 7 TD runs (through only 8 games). For a point of contrast, through 14 games in '21 ... we didn't even have a rusher with 7 TD runs! If you're able to punch the ball into the end zone on the ground when you're in the red-zone ... that's going to make your offense that much more efficient (and effective).

ADVERTISEMENT