ADVERTISEMENT

What is the scouting report on jNW offense and defense?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I saw some of their first game against Nebby and it looked like they could run the ball pretty well. Their defense didnt look stellar. I really havent watch much of them at all since.

Any scoop on their new QB? Did he just beat out Helinski?

Are they going to once again give the hawks fits, a little play on words there, on each side of the ball?

tbh, I haven't watched a single one of their games, but I just perused some of their stats (may not tell the whole story).

I looked through all their game recaps at their scoring drives. No defensive or short field scores that I could find. So, they are able to put together a drive occasionally, but not consistently.

SP+ rankings, their offensive is terrible (100 vs Iowa's 101), defense is bad (69 vs Iowa's 1), special teams abysmal (126 vs Iowa's 9)

They are -8 in turnover margin vs Iowa's 0.

Of the two teams they played with top 25 SP+ defensive rankings, they mustered 7 points in each game. So basically, if our D can get 7 and we tack on one field goal, we should be good. :D

tbh, I haven't watched a single one of their games, but I just perused some of their stats (may not tell the whole story).

I looked through all their game recaps at their scoring drives. No defensive or short field scores that I could find. So, they are able to put together a drive occasionally, but not consistently.

SP+ rankings, their offensive is terrible (100 vs Iowa's 101), defense is bad (69 vs Iowa's 1), special teams abysmal (126 vs Iowa's 9)

Of the two teams they played with top 25 SP+ defensive rankings, they mustered 7 points in each game. So basically, if our D can get 7 and we tack on one field goal, we should be good. :D
Thanks, nice stats. And if they cant score much against good defenses what does that say about jNW scoring 31 on Nebby (yes a long time ago).

Thanks, nice stats. And if they cant score much against good defenses what does that say about jNW scoring 31 on Nebby (yes a long time ago).
Yeah, I have to think Nebby is looking at what jNW has done since that game and trying to figure out how they lost that. Onside kick was a poor decision, but that was just a small part of it. Has Nebby's defense been really bad?

I've seen bits and pieces of their games throughout the season. They're a team that, like Iowa, somehow manages to overcome what statistics say.

They've played better in recent weeks, particularly on defense, and have been more competitive against similar competition, so that's highly discouraging in regards to our prospects.

They've shown signs of being able to run the ball, so that's something we'll have to worry about because remember, their entire strategy against Iowa is dink and dunk by any means possible. Whether it's 4 yds rushing or 5 yds passing on the next play, rinse and repeat, they'll be more than happy wasting 20 plays to move the ball 40 yds if it keeps our offense off the field............which kinda seems counterproductive of our opponents given the state of our offense this season.

Last edited:
Iowa defense will generate enough points or short fields to make it 16-3 Iowa.

offense
NW 396.1
IA 249.1

defense
NW 422.6
IA 291.9

if we can't score a few TD's on the Mildcat's we might as well fold up shop for the year
I see our offense scoring only one TD against jNW unless we get some really short fields. hell we only scored 2 TDs against them last year, and barely score about 20 pts a game against them recently in the series. jNW will do everything to make the LOS a mess.

Do you know that a few years ago Michigan coaches before their game with jNW asked the officials to watch the jNW front 7 on defense, especially the DLine, for holding. And there were several calls against them for doing it.

jNW likes to hold offensive linemen to keep them from doing their assignments, to muck up the works, and to allow their blitzers to have a free alley into the backfield. Maybe they are not doing it so much anymore since they were getting it called on them.

We should be able to move the ball and score against the Cats. This is a game we should win and need to win.

ADVERTISEMENT