ADVERTISEMENT

What is your best golf shot ever?

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Apr 25, 2005
What club and how far?

I got my first albatross a couple days ago. Second shot used a 3 wood from 240.

Spent several minutes looking for the ball. My golf partner tells me to check the whole, I tell him to STFU I'm not going to be that guy. He goes and looks and sure enough it was there.

What club and how far?

Spent several minutes looking for the ball. My golf partner tells me to check the whole, I tell him to STFU I'm not going to be that guy. He goes and looks and sure enough it was there.
I didn't albatross the shot but I almost had the same exact shot from about 200 my second year golfing where I had a tap in birdie for a par 4. I'll never forget it.

I'm a fairly high handicap, so not a lot of candidates. My best single shot was probably on a par 3. Tee shot was long and to the right of the green, about 35 yards out. Chipped it in for birdie. A few other good shots, but they mostly come before or after some really bad ones, so the scores aren't usually great.

One time I was busting out a three iron and one of the guys with us was up about 50 yards and to the side. I told him to move, but he said it will be okay. I drilled the ball which never got more than 3 feet off the ground as it traveled at maximum velocity into his thigh. He went down hard and had a bruise the size of a melon.

Around 20 years ago, Leatherstocking in Cooperstown NY. Beautiful golf course. 11th hole, Par 3, uphill, approx 158 yards. Stuck a 8 iron 6” from the cup. Since it’s uphill, I had no idea how close it was until I got up there. Closest I’ve ever been to an ace.

50 or so years ago my partner and I were playing in the State Match Play Championship at Marshalltown CC…..We were playing a couple of guys who were the #1 and #2 guys that year for Iowa State and we were stuck 2 (match play) going to the #17 hole……On the #17, I made about a 20’ for a birdie and we took the match to #18….The #18th there is a shortish par par 4 with a big gulley running thru the fairway in front of it…..and the 1st hole ran parallel to the left of it. I remember hitting my tee ball way left into the rough adjacent to #1 tee box, in long nasty assed grass……my partner knocked his ball in the fairway about 70 yds away as did our opponents……I grabbed an #8 iron (I was about 80 yards away from the green and wayyyyy left, and chopped my ball out of the shit and it ended up about 2” from the hole……as a result we tied the match, and went to extra holes….My partner birdied #1 and we won that match 1 up…..but that hack of mine out of the shit on #18 for the tie……I will remember that shot forever! We drank beers on the way home after that one!

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
What club and how far?

Club member guest. Had my bil as a partner who is a 5. Last hole of championship flight with large calcutta at stake. Par 5 that everyone strokes. Water all the way down the left. My bil goes for green in two but splashs down.I’m in fairway bunker 150 out after him with my second.Seeing those seconds from us both opponents lay up to about 100/125.
I hit a seven iron out of the trap off the stick and it stuck about 1” from cup. Tap in net eagle. Shook opponents into a skull over the green and a huge pull. Big pay day.

Best shot I ever hit was an accident - playing PV in Iowa City, number 11. Was trying to avoid that big mo fo tree in the fairway, and just trundle one down there for a reasonable wedge/chip and I straight nutted a 3 iron over the tree and onto the green. Total fluke. Course I shit the bed with the eagle putt.

Never had a hole in one. Still bitter.
Did I mention I’ve never had a hole in one?

Don't think I have a definitive best shot. Contenders:
1. 2 hop dunked a 9 iron for eagle. 130 out
2. Drove the green to 18 inches on a short par 4. 290 out (made the putt)
3. Faded a 3 iron around the corner on a dog leg right par 5 to 3 feet. 190 out (missed the putt)
4. Hit a "hole in one" on a mulligan. I don't remember the club or yardage. 160-170ish

Last edited:
Reactions: nelly02
One hopped hole-in-one. PW from 139 yds. Was all over that pin that day from 50-150 yds out.

I have an old Calloway steelhead 3 wood from the 90’s that I used to be able to hit like a pro. Sticking a green from anywhere from 200-250 yds out wasn’t much more difficult than shooting a free throw. I could bend fades and draws with excellent control, or hit it straight as an arrow. Best club I’ve ever owned.

Don't think I have a definitive best shot. Contenders:
1. 2 hop dunked a 9 iron for eagle. 130 out
2. Drove the green to 18 inches on a short par 4. 290 out (made the putt)
3. Faded a 3 iron around the corner on a par 5 to 3 feet. 190 out (missed the putt)
4. Hit a "hole in one" on a mulligan. I don't remember the club or yardage. 160-170ish
A mulligan hole in one would haunt my dreams forever. I'm so sorry.

Hole in one/albatross. Short par 4, driver off the tee.

The hilarious part of it was it was October, very windy with a crosswind right to left and leaves everywhere on the course. I hit sort of a deliberate low liner towards the right fairway rough hoping to let it curve back and roll but the wind got it and it picked up a LOT of speed. Because of leaves, we lost track of the ball even though we knew it was heading for the green at a great rate of speed. So, we all thought it had to roll over.

We spent a good 5 minutes looking for it beyond the green (the course was fairly empty for it was an Iowa football Saturday in I believe 2000) and as a last resort before taking the penalty I said "just humor me and check the pin".

And there it was.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
Recency bias, last Sunday, par 4, #1 handi on a difficult course, my second shot I had 205 to the pin. Flushed a 4 iron, cozied up to the hole for a tap in birdie.

Only had two eagles, one of which, my second shot on a par 5, with extreme gusty wind helping, hit an 8 iron into the green, couldn’t see hole but felt there was a chance at a DE, got to the hole and it was not in, but it was a 6 inch putt for eagle, which I made.

Either the birdie on pinehurst 2 number 15, or in high school I drained a twisting 45 footer on 18 to half a match, shooting (wait for it) 50-35. My opponent was not happy. At all.

Last edited:
25 foot putt at Brooks to win lakes conference with a 69. Or 3 feet on 18 for 71 at Lake Creek to help us go to State. Probably lots of better however none that stick out more than those.

As a kid I was hitting some at the park and shanked one really bad. It landed between 2 parked cars without touching either one. Don't think I can duplicate that shot.

Best single shot would be either my lone ace - a perfectly struck 7 iron on a 160 yard par 3, with the pin tucked in the back corner behind a deep, high-lipped bunker; or the 2nd shot on my lone albatross, a 4 iron from about 200.
Best sequence of shots was in the regional qualifier for the old Oldsmobile Scramble, a nationwide tournament where they held qualifiers all around the country. Winners of the local qualifier picked up the club pro from the host course, so you played a fivesome in the regional. Winners there went on to the national tournament, held in conjunction with the PGA event at Disney. My team won the local, but at the regional got off to a terrible start. Through 5, we'd only made one birdie, and on the 6th hole had a relatively easy shot in from the middle of the fairway & we all hit terrible shots in, leaving about an 80 foot putt with a huge break in it. The first 3 guys putt & saw the beer cart come up, so they left the green to go get drinks - leaving just me & the club pro on the green. When my putt was halfway there, the pro said "damn that looks great." Twenty feet out, as it started down the hill breaking right, he said "damn, that's going in." And it did. We celebrate a bit, then head to the next tee - a par 5 that was possible to reach but pretty long. I was fired up & smoked a drive, then hit driver off the deck. Hit it pure, right at the stick; it rolled just left of the stick & past the hole; behind the hole there was an upslope. Ball rolled up the slope about 8 feet, then back down the hill, just missing on the opposite side & settling about 6 inches from the hole for a tap-in eagle. Guys in front of us said it was within an inch or so of going in both times & that it actually dipped a little when it came back down the hill. We birdied out & won the qualifier to make it to the national tournament.

240 yard 3 wood for double eagle on a long dog leg par 5,.. Weather was hot, course was dry, and the shot was lucky as shit...

My best shot ever was an ugly one. I was 11-12 years old, sank it from about 80-90 yards out.
I hit the ball along the ground, it was dry at the time, so it rolled and eventually went in the hole.

My best shot that was on purpose was a 185 yard par 3 at Twin Pines. Hit a 6 iron and it stopped 3-4 inches from the hole.

I didn't albatross the shot but I almost had the same exact shot from about 200 my second year golfing where I had a tap in birdie for a par 4. I'll never forget it.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Washington, Iowa, 1996.

Teeing off on a par 4 during a high school golf meet. Single practice swing, lined up the driver, gave it a waggle and boom!!!!

Dead pull about 3 feet off the grass, it slammed into a porta John with a loud BANG and shot straight into the woods to the left.

I was too young to drink, but that would have been the ideal time to crack a new beer.

Hard to pick just one, a lot of them depend on the place vs. the shot itself.

For example, one of my favorites is lipping out on 7 at Pebble. Tap in birdie from about 6 inches.

210yds eagle on hole 14 on the Mineshaft course at Scottsdale National. Holed out with my 4H. Hit it and caddy said, "Holy shit I think that went in!" Very next hole (par 5) I absolutely bombed a drive. Had the exact same yardage into the pin. Hit the same 4H to 15ft for back to back eagles (never done that). Rolled the eagle putt 8ft past and missed the birdie. Ugh!

Reactions: Rifler
Glynns creek first hole - struggled off the tee so I was still 100 yards out. Hit my wedge, took two hops and in to save par.

Happiest I’ve ever been after an entire round was when I was still in high school and shot a then-personal best 92 and beat both my uncles. Of course, worst part was me not being able to brag about it at supper cuz it wouldn’t have gone over well with them.

Was in a big event trying to earn money to save my grandma's house from foreclosure.

There was a very unfortunate event that happened on the green but after a short discussion, I had to play it as it lied.

Long story short, I made the putt.

Saved my grandma's house, got the girl, and made Apollo Creed's spirit proud of me.

Was in a big event trying to earn money to save my grandma's house from foreclosure.

There was a very unfortunate event that happened on the green but after a short discussion, I had to play it as it lied.

Long story short, I made the putt.

Saved my grandma's house, got the girl, and made Apollo Creed's spirit proud of me.
My friend had anal sex on a bridge

Reactions: nelly02
Albatross with a 4 iron

Up and down from in front of the green on the Road hole

204 yard par 3 5 iron hole in one. Was playing a 2 man scramble with some buddies. We were down 1 going into the previous hole and we both went out of bounds and tripled the hole. Next hole hole in one and their bogey got us right back in the match

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT