ADVERTISEMENT

What is your mood about the men's BBall team

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
In one respect they have done pretty well. the win at Virginia was surprising to me but then they also fumble away some games. And to tell you the truth I have a hard time getting excited about Fran ball anymore at Iowa and watching a lot of the action. I guess if the coaches got the players to run some other offensive sets and really dig deep on the defense and rebounding then it might be more fun to watch.

What are your thoughts or mood?

moreofthesame_1527681232595_43919140_ver1.0.gif

Reactions: goodbyebobby
My opinion if Weiscamp stays they would of been that much bette, a program like ours can’t afford to have guys leave early.

Hawks won 9 gms Vs cupcak#s. Lost to Iowa St &
won at Virginia........10-1 non-Big T#n sch#dul#
Hawks 4-5 in Big T#n. Total r#cord 14-6.

Bottom Lin#: Iowa with luck finish#s with 8-12
in Big T#n and with 18-13 r#cord for s#ason.

Reactions: hawkland14
My opinion if Weiscamp stays they would of been that much bette, a program like ours can’t afford to have guys leave early.
Add Nunge to that list. And even though Fredrick is injured and not playing this year - just another example of losing a good player.

At the end of the day, Fran will have had three NBA players the last two years. For Iowa that’s pretty crazy considering the last 30 years. But the results don’t reflect that IMO

Iowa is right about where I thought they would be. If we split the next 2, we will be right where I thought they would be. The Murrays are much better than expected, Toussaint and Patrick are positives and Rebraca has been pretty good. Jordan and Conner have been disappointing and Ulis and Perkins have their moments. Sandfort needs to play more. Our big centers don't play enough to give me a feeling of where they are at.

Last edited:
The reason I am still excited is there are lineup combinations that can win us a lot more games. There were past teams where we just did not have the horses and had to play perfect. Fran is loyal to a fault.

Maximum: Keegan + Kris
Maximum Light: Joe T, PMac
Moderate: Sanfort, Rebraca, Perkins, Ulis
Minimum: JBo, CMac

Rationale: Defense Pressure with Keegan, Kris, Joe T, PMac, Perkins and Ulis will create easy offense

They are about where I thought they would be. But I’m kinda “meh” about them. Can’t seem to get excited. Maybe come tournament time. We’ll see.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Iowa is right about where I thought they would be. If we split the next 2, we will be right where I thought they would be. The Murrays are much better than expected, Toussaint and Patrick are positives and Rebraca has been pretty good. Jordan and Conner have been disappointing and Ulis and Perkins have their moments. Sandford needs to play more. Our big centers don't play enough to give me a feeling of where they are at.
That’s pretty much exactly what I would say…. I was guessing 18-20 wins this year knowing it could be worse. After losing what we lost and the lack of experience it is what it is.

Losing good players is such a lame excuse for not utilizing the good players you do have.

Is Wisconsin worried about what they lost? Trice, Potter, Ruevers?

No they're not because they have other good players ready to step in.

Iowa has those players too but they're not being utilized.

Losing good players is such a lame excuse for not utilizing the good players you do have.

No. Iowa is somehow the only college team that has players leave each year. I'm told we have the only team with 2 seniors, 1 Junior, and 2 sophomores in the starting lineup that is in a rebuilding year.

The twins are terrific. Patrick has flashes. Rebraca really battles but is undersized. I love Joe T, but Fran sits him too much and kills his flow. Ulis and Perkins seem to be regressing. I’m tired of the “super” seniors. I’d like to see more Sandfort. Who knows about Josh and Mulvey? The puzzle is missing pieces. Fran ought to be hitting the portal hard.

I had them as a bubble team entering the year. They look like a bubble team. We are one consistent shooter and one decent big away from being pretty dang good.

Reactions: perryhawk
Overall about were I thought we would be. Hopefully we can get 20 wins and get the tourney experience

Positives = I think Toussaint is better than Fran realizes and I wish he would play him 30 minutes a game and not panic if he makes 1 mistake. Patrick has had good moments and I think will improve. Kris is much better than I expected. I would like to see Sandfort a bit more

Negatives = I am disappointed in Jordan and I hope he can still turn it around. I thought he would at least have a good offensive year but it hasn't happened. I know Fran loves his kids but they are sagging off Connor badly and at this point he should not play unless we are in foul trouble

The reason I am still excited is there are lineup combinations that can win us a lot more games. There were past teams where we just did not have the horses and had to play perfect. Fran is loyal to a fault.

Maximum: Keegan + Kris
Maximum Light: Joe T, PMac
Moderate: Sanfort, Rebraca, Perkins, Ulis
Minimum: JBo, CMac

Rationale: Defense Pressure with Keegan, Kris, Joe T, PMac, Perkins and Ulis will create easy offense

Good points and I think both Murray's in the lineup for 30+ minutes gives us tall wings who can shoot over people, who are long and athletic, and can rebound. I agree with a lot of people who say they should be playing way more minutes together. Add in the other pieces with less minutes for jBo who just hasnt had it since about 10 games ago,

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I'm completely jaded by Iowa basketball right now. By definition: "made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something"

That sums it up about perfectly.

It's not a "this year's team" issue. They're doing about what I thought they'd do given all they lost from a year ago.

The problem is that I grew up with Iowa basketball in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to remember Lute's teams but that great 1986-87 team made me the fan I am. An Elite 8 and Sweet 16 in back to back years, and the 88-89 team was fun. Sweet 16 in 99 and the 92-93 team was easily a Sweet 16 or better team until we lost Street. The 90s were a little up and down, but I grew up accustomed to quality basketball.

But as I write this - one Sweet 16 since 1988 and nothing in the past 22+ years. Last year (2 seed) looked like the year to finally break the drought, but alas, yet another 2nd Round blowout loss. Ouch. What a kick to the nuts. This year doesn't look promising, either.

So, yeah, I'm in a cynical mood about it all.

I'm completely jaded by Iowa basketball right now. By definition: "made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something"

That sums it up about perfectly.

It's not a "this year's team" issue. They're doing about what I thought they'd do given all they lost from a year ago.

The problem is that I grew up with Iowa basketball in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to remember Lute's teams but that great 1986-87 team made me the fan I am. An Elite 8 and Sweet 16 in back to back years, and the 88-89 team was fun. Sweet 16 in 99 and the 92-93 team was easily a Sweet 16 or better team until we lost Street. The 90s were a little up and down, but I grew up accustomed to quality basketball.

But as I write this - one Sweet 16 since 1988 and nothing in the past 22+ years. Last year (2 seed) looked like the year to finally break the drought, but alas, yet another 2nd Round blowout loss. Ouch. What a kick to the nuts. This year doesn't look promising, either.

So, yeah, I'm in a cynical mood about it all.
I hear you loud and clear. My 1st recollection of Hawkeye Basketball is that we were elite. (Bucky O'Conner and 2 Final Fours). Iowa Basketball in the late 60's was solid and exciting under Ralph Miller. Lute's teams ended up being very exciting and led us into the 80's. Raveling recruited some amazing athletes and Dr. Tom took them to the brink. Dr. Tom had a fine tenure but with no championships but 2 sweet 16's. Alford had a disappointing tenure but DID have two B1G tournament championships. Lick had 3 disastrous teams and then Fran took over. Fran's tenure has equaled Dr. Tom's minus the Sweet 16 appearances. So.......here we are. We have a fun but a flawed team. This is Iowa Basketball in a nutshell and it's not for the faint hearted. Let's Go Hawks!!

The highs aren't very high and the lows aren't very low. The weaknesses of the team are really weak and there is no concerted effort to improve those weaknesses even though there have been many years to analyze, strategize, and implement improvements of the weak areas.

Lost me at mentioning good players and Reuvers together. Guy sucked major ass his last two years.

I am ambivalent. It is pretty much as I expected, mediocre season by Iowa standard. I looked forward to Ulis and Perkins getting more minutes. With Bohannon coming back that didn't materialize. Fran should begin to play for next season. Sit JBo and Connor. He needs to get Mulvey and Ogondele more experience.

This team is a borderline tournament team with some talent to be better next year if certain player get more playing time.

Reactions: Willin
As expected, no rebounding and defense again, but that’s just expected at this point. They’re about where I’d thought they’d be, beating up on the awful teams, but not being able to beat the teams that can make Iowa pay. There is a low ceiling for every Fran team because his rotations are awful and their fundamentals are even worse, this team is no different.

That feeling of indifference is creeping back in. I feel like when this team can put forth the kind of defensive and rebounding effort they did early in the second half of both games vs. Purdue, it might be worth getting excited about.

Actually better than anticipated. Still need work on defensive end but that's not going to happen. Our seniors are not leading at least to the degree needed. We're again not as bad as we look in losses and not as good as we look in wins. Need to win on the road now and that's always tricky.

Reactions: perryhawk

There isn't a talent difference between Wisconsin competing for B1G title and Iowa in 9th place and
no signature wins in B1G. Both teams have one superstar....the difference is Wisconsin coach is
getting the most out of what he has and Fran is getting the least out of what he has.

Illinois lost Ayo D. and that coach went out and got a stud 2G. Illinoin coach had his son
playing for him and never played his kid because he wasn't good enough to play.

ADVERTISEMENT