ADVERTISEMENT

What items should one get at Aldi?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
We have a relatively new Aldi. I've been in it a couple of times because they have reasonably priced whole chickens that I spatchcock, and sometimes other places are out of them. I found their lack of selection as to other items annoying, as well as not having handbaskets. People love it though, apparently. So what do you get there that is better or a much better buy than you could otherwise get at Hy-Vee, Fareway, Sam's/Costco, etc?

It's grocery shopping with a dollar-store mentality. It's not for everyone. I don't really like shopping there. Admittedly, they do have some really good prices on a number of items.

Edit - Their quality is fine, as well.

It's grocery shopping with a dollar-store mentality. It's not for everyone. I don't really like shopping there. Admittedly, they do have some really good prices on a number of items.

Edit - Their quality is fine, as well.

The only knock for me is the aisles are pretty narrow. It doesn't take much for it to be pretty crowded .

Reactions: cfbfan23
I haven’t been very often, but I believe their cereal, oatmeal, etc prices are pretty good.

Trivia: We’ve had an Aldi’s in Burlington since the early 70’s. I went decades without seeing another, until they started sprouting up all over a few years ago.

I did some poking around, and it turns out Burlington Iowa was their first U.S. location. I would love to know how that decision was made.

Easier for me to list what not to get.....meat/meat products, frozen/prepared meals, and milk.....Everything else is ok - though i think the chips taste a little fake.....there are other things like ketchup i'm a brand snob on, but pretty much everything else is ok.....

Typically my list is fruits/veggies, bread, cheese, oil, flour, sugar, Hint water, some frozen veggies, heavy cream, etc....

I haven’t been very often, but I believe their cereal, oatmeal, etc prices are pretty good.

Trivia: We’ve had an Aldi’s in Burlington since the early 70’s. I went decades without seeing another, until they started sprouting up all over a few years ago.

I did some poking around, and it turns out Burlington Iowa was their first U.S. location. I would love to know how that decision was made.
It is interesting how it is trendy now. When I was in undergrad at Iowa in the 90s, there was an Aldi and it had cheap off label food that tasted well, off. Based on the people who shopped there I thought of it as like a Salvation Army/Goodwill grocery store. Stuck to Cub Foods. csb

We used to go to one in Marion occasionally - that was the first one I ever went to. Long ago in sort of a 'brown field" type industrial area. I remember finding boxes for my parents as they shopped. Agree - they're everywhere now....

Reactions: Tenacious E
It’s been years since I’ve shopped at one. I’ve heard they’re better now, but what I remember is cheap can and box goods with sketchy meat and veggies.

We eat very few things in my house from cans and boxes, so I never go there.

Per wikipedia: Aldi purchased Iowa's Benner Tea chain and opened its first United States store at Burlington in 1976.

My best guess is that they wanted to start in the Midwest and the price was right?

It is interesting how it is trendy now. When I was in undergrad at Iowa in the 90s, there was an Aldi and it had cheap off label food that tasted well, off. Based on the people who shopped there I thought of it as like a Salvation Army/Goodwill grocery store. Stuck to Cub Foods. csb

This. It was full of poor people buying off brand canned veggies.

Their marketing/branding team need a raise.

Produce for sure if you’re not an obsessed w organic. Dairy, take and bake pizza. Chips and salsa and other snacks. Sourdough bread. Wife says there’s a FB group on what’s on special there. Seasonal stuff. We’ve gotten cool camping equipment there cheap.

This. It was full of poor people buying off brand canned veggies.

Their marketing/branding team need a raise.
I was there for that and I'm here for it now. They were not a destination for produce in the 90s, but for canned veggies/beans/soup, bread, milk, pasta, pantry stuff. Their produce section is legitimately good now.

Boneless skinless chicken breast
Breakfast foods
Eggs
Milk
Cheese
Snack foods for the kids
Frozen fruit
OJ
Yogurt
Bread
Ice cream sandwiches
Hummus
Tortilla chips

Probably more, but these are things I can think of that we get off the top of my head.

We have a relatively new Aldi. I've been in it a couple of times because they have reasonably priced whole chickens that I spatchcock, and sometimes other places are out of them. I found their lack of selection as to other items annoying, as well as not having handbaskets. People love it though, apparently. So what do you get there that is better or a much better buy than you could otherwise get at Hy-Vee, Fareway, Sam's/Costco, etc?

Bring a quarter so you are able to dislodge a cart from their ghetto cart centipede.

Never meat. I’m pretty certain their ground “beef” is from something other than a cow.
Pro tip: if you are ever on vacation in Eleuthera and renting a house, when stocking up on groceries, do NOT get the frozen "hamburgers." I am not sure what we ate that evening, but it was not bovine.

• Wow
Reactions: NoleATL and ping72
Tenacious..you always have to check out Aldi’s “ walk of shame” on their Facebook page...you never know what treasure you might find there! I personally find their “cookies” selection (European) well worth it...my bride likes their butter, pineapple (1.99..but you cut) and many “basics” at much less expensive that at HyVee, Fareway and the like.

Tenacious..you always have to check out Aldi’s “ walk of shame” on their Facebook page...you never know what treasure you might find there! I personally find their “cookies” selection (European) well worth it...my bride likes their butter, pineapple (1.99..but you cut) and many “basics” at much less expensive that at HyVee, Fareway and the like.
Joel did you ever get your fence put in?

I like it because they are always rotating new items through there. They sometimes have a frozen schnitzel that is very good and very easy to make tenderloin sandwiches with. Saltine breading, etc. Last year bought a 5 lb. bucket of frozen Chicago style Italian beef. My 2 boys loved it! They have D’Amorosa rolls which are literally what they use for cheesesteak sandwiches at Pat’s and Ginos’s in Philly. It’s sometimes fun to discover this stuff.

They sometimes have a frozen schnitzel that is very good and very easy to make tenderloin sandwiches with. Saltine breading
giphy.gif

Don't necessarily care for having 20 options of some canned or boxed items to select from, but found their fresh produce was much fresher than Hy-vee. Hamburger is hamburger and chicken is chicken. It takes me half the time and half the price. I pop in to a Hy-vee if I need something I can't find

Probably horse. And not like a young, healthy horse.
I have never had horse, and I would not rule it out, but I didn't see any horses on the island. Had a mealy flavor like it was some kind of non-beef meat (goat?) cut with soy/filler.

Don't necessarily care for having 20 options of some canned or boxed items to select from, but found their fresh produce was much fresher than Hy-vee. Hamburger is hamburger and chicken is chicken. It takes me half the time and half the price. I pop in to a Hy-vee if I need something I can't find
Not referring to boxed/canned items but variety counts for salad dressing, pasta sauce, pickles, etc. And I guess I would disagree on hamburger being hamburger. Whatever is going into the grinder impacts the burger's taste/nutritional value. I agree that for the most part, chicken is chicken.

Their French onion dip and tortilla rounds are one of my guilty pleasures. I might have to go pick some up, it’s been awhile.

Easier for me to list what not to get.....meat/meat products, frozen/prepared meals, and milk.....Everything else is ok - though i think the chips taste a little fake.....there are other things like ketchup i'm a brand snob on, but pretty much everything else is ok.....

Typically my list is fruits/veggies, bread, cheese, oil, flour, sugar, Hint water, some frozen veggies, heavy cream, etc....
Everything except meat (the chicken is chicken but the beef selection sux and you have access to Fareway and Hy-Vee). Literally everything else.
Never meat. I’m pretty certain their ground “beef” is from something other than a cow.
Never the Aldi brands, but once in a while they have great name brand meat products, like some prosciutto, Nathan's hot dogs, and the phenomenal ribs I smoked (and shared a pic of on here) were Hormel ones from Aldi.

Other than that, I like all their dairy products, eggs, salads, and fruits and avocados. They also have a keto friendly bread that I use.

I have never had horse, and I would not rule it out, but I didn't see any horses on the island. Had a mealy flavor like it was some kind of non-beef meat (goat?) cut with soy/filler.

I'm guessing it's just whatever needed to be culled that week. Regardless, I'll never buy meat there again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT