ADVERTISEMENT

What loss still burns you the most as an Iowa fan?

The game against Penn State 3-4 years where McSorely threw that TD pass near the end of the game. We had been leading up to that point.
That sucked. I actually have a funny memory about that game because I was sitting with my little cousin who was about 6ish and his dad said Penn State was putting a poor effort into waving at the kids. My cousin promptly turns around and says Penn State is not allowed to wave at kids. Still thinking about that makes me chuckle.

The rose bowl
I basically drank myself into acceptance of the L by halftime. Had to tip the cap to McCaffrey, and I couldn’t help but feel like the emotional toll the BTCG took on the team was a factor as well.

I don’t think the Hawks fare much better against Bama in the playoff than MSU did, but the championship game was crushing. Just getting an opportunity in the playoff would have been incredible, and that last MSU drive was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to watch in sports

Went on a honeymoon to Hawaii, wore my hawkeye shirt, a local that was half baked talked about the huge win against the hawks way back when. I wasn't old enough to remember the game but it must have been a huge upset

Any 22 play drive is a punch to the gut.

A 22 play drive, capped by a run that was so dead the announcer thought it was over, to lose a Big 10 Championship and trip to the playoffs is....a Mike Tyson uppercut to the balls.

Being in that stadium and feeling the numbness was sickening.

- Msu BIG Championship being so close..the chance to matchup with Bama.
- Losing (robbery) Meyer FL.
- 90 Rose bowl - Washington..valiant effort to come back..QB Rogers, RB Bell and WR Saunders, TE Matt Whitaker, recovering on side kick closed gap however too little too late.

The game against Penn State 3-4 years where McSorely threw that TD pass near the end of the game. We had been leading up to that point.

I think I choked on my own tears after that as we had the jaws of victory around Penn State and he needles a pass that 9/10 times would never hit and of course he hits it then the jackass does the baseball home run swing .. be original at least

2015 BIG title game is right up there....not sure I would say it burns though. After that game I was just emotionally drained, but realized it was probably one of the best football games I had ever seen.

Michigan In ‘05 is the one that immediately pops to mind. That 2005 game is still one of the worst officiating jobs I have ever seen. Or NDSU/Western Michigan games.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Big Ten Title game for obvious reasons. Obviously Iowa gets smoked by Bama after that, but it would’ve been fun to see what happened,

2010 vs Wisconsin. The fake punt was brutal. The review was brutal because quite a few thought they were looking for a fumble. Iowa football wasn’t quite right after that loss for a long time and well Wisconsin took off.

2014 Nebraska because if Iowa won that, then we absolutely own Nebby since they joined the conference. That win at least makes the series respectable since they joined.

OP...excellent topic...even though this brings back so many awful memories. :(
There are so many shoulda coulda woulda games!

I lm sure this will appear a lot but I would say the 2015 B1G Championship game with the rose bowl behind it. When CJ hit Smith on that long pass I thought we were going to be playing for a trip to the natty. The rose bowl just felt like a gut punch after a major in kick in the balls.
I'll agree with the B1G Championship. I was a tthe game and it was crazy. Even though we lost and it kills me, it also was the best and most fun game I have ever been to (picking is slim for games I have attended tho).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT