ADVERTISEMENT

What loss still burns you the most as an Iowa fan?

I felt absolutely zero about the 2015 loss because I knew 100% for fact they were going to lose it. they were having horrible third down conversion rates all year despite being undefeated. then in that game they went like 3 for twelve on third down conversions or something . so then the rose bowl was not a big shocker also except for the fact i did not think one guy would single handedly destroy them.
Of course. You realize that Iowa was winning by four with 30 seconds left in the game, right?

02 Clones. Win that game and we would have been playing for a national championship.

I lm sure this will appear a lot but I would say the 2015 B1G Championship game with the rose bowl behind it. When CJ hit Smith on that long pass I thought we were going to be playing for a trip to the natty. The rose bowl just felt like a gut punch after a major in kick in the balls.

This. Because it had the biggest stakes it was the hardest to take. Just one f'ing stop on the MSU drive and they were in the playoffs. The defense though was just gassed and couldn't hold up. MSU got away with so many blown calls in that game.

02 ISU game. That was the ultimate gut punch that got more and more painful as the season went on. Win that game and we may have been playing Miami for the NC. Debatable, but with OSU barely avoiding so many losses, I think we jump them in the polls if undefeated.

ISU, as usual, blew their load on this game and Nebby. They were Top 10 at one point that season, but spiralled to 7-7 (including a WTF home blowout loss to UConn)

Reactions: TC_Hawk
ISU, as usual, blew their load on this game and Nebby. They were Top 10 at one point that season, but spiralled to 7-7 (including a WTF home blowout loss to UConn)

Yep. I still remember them playing Oklahoma that year as the 8th ranked team in the country, if I remember correctly. They got smoked bad and it was all down hill from there.

Ohio St in 1985, I was 13. We went to the game in Columbus and I was teary eyed the entire drive home. We win that one and we’re number 1 in the nation going into the Rose Bowl. Can’t help but think if we’re number 1 that we play better and beat UCLA for the national championship. And a #1 undefeated Iowa gives Chuck the Heisman over Bo.

Went on a honeymoon to Hawaii, wore my hawkeye shirt, a local that was half baked talked about the huge win against the hawks way back when. I wasn't old enough to remember the game but it must have been a huge upset
It was! Hurt us in the end of the year rankings.

1. Bobby Fvcking Olive. (OSU)
2. Real Refs of Genius (Outback)
3. MSU O Line tackling our defense on TD run (B1G Championship)

Reactions: bowlhawk
That 2014 Nebraska game still chaps my ass. Totally dogshit season, everything about the program was stale, lost all the trophy games and got STOMPED in the bowl game. But still, we win that one like we should have if we just didn’t punt right to Demornay Pearson El, land we have a 7 game win streak over little red.
I really think that this loss and the Tennessee loss are actually what turned the program around though. I hate the loss happening but in the end it kind of turned out for the better.

The stench of that loss won't go away. Hawks have lost to worst teams and lost lots bigger games, but I hated that loss to a lower division team.

Not that it makes it any better, but NDSU can beat a LOT of P5 teams, and that includes everyone in the B1G West.

If the game @ Eugene is still on, watch for yet another upset.

Went on a honeymoon to Hawaii, wore my hawkeye shirt, a local that was half baked talked about the huge win against the hawks way back when. I wasn't old enough to remember the game but it must have been a huge upset

A lot of cheap shots and bad calls!

Of course. You realize that Iowa was winning by four with 30 seconds left in the game, right?
that changes nothing as the final score is what counts. and the stats.

• Total Yards
    • MSU365
    • 268IOWA
  • Turnovers
    • MSU1
    • 3IOWA
  • Possession

• IA msu
    23:22 36:38
  • 1st Downs
    • MSU20
    • iowa 13

I really think that this loss and the Tennessee loss are actually what turned the program around though. I hate the loss happening but in the end it kind of turned out for the better.

This is a concept that's a bit difficult to understand for a lot of people. I try to give this argument for the '02 ISU game, also - I don't think we run the table in the B1G if we win that game; the team learned a lesson.

1985 loss to OSU. Really felt like we had the best team in the nation. After we got by Michigan was sure we would run the table. Was only 8 years old so was too young to realize we always lose at OSU

that changes nothing as the final score is what counts. and the stats.

• Total Yards
    • MSU365
    • 268IOWA
  • Turnovers
    • MSU1
    • 3IOWA
  • Possession

• IA msu
    23:22 36:38
  • 1st Downs
    • MSU20
    • iowa 13
What exactly are the stats supposed to show? The yards and first downs are directly proportional to the TOP disparity, which is a result of the turnover disparity. All this shows is that the offenses played basically the same, turnovers aside, and that Iowa’s defense did an outstanding job of not allowing those turnovers become points for MSU.

My point is that MSU winning wasn’t “100% for fact” either before or during the game.

What exactly are the stats supposed to show? The yards and first downs are directly proportional to the TOP disparity, which is a result of the turnover disparity. All this shows is that the offenses played basically the same, turnovers aside, and that Iowa’s defense did an outstanding job of not allowing those turnovers become points for MSU.

My point is that MSU winning wasn’t “100% for fact” either before or during the game.
my point was I knew iowa would find a way to lose , which they did. so I wasn't disappointed when they did the deed

2002 against ISU or 2015 MSU.

The way that game ended was horrific. So many chances to stop them on defense. Parker choosing to not gamble and do his bend stuff, which left us no time on offense to respond. Josey playing the last down perfectly and getting held, then tackled from behind with no call. LJ Scott stupidly sticking the ball out while held up and our last defender doesn't anticipate it and just dives harmlessly under it. He knocks that stuff out and through the endzone it's a touchback.

We would've lost to Alabama just as badly as MSU did. But I would've been fine with that. Special mention to the NDSU game, which I went to in person. I get that NDSU is a great FCS school, but I still feel that they have no business winning that game. There was a devastating holding call against us in the 3rd Q that was extremely ticky tack (a very brief hook on a ducking defender) and took away a sure TD.

Over the Ferentz years there were a number where the team had a comfortable lead and fell apart right at the end. I have seen that less since the coaches have been rotating in more players and keeping them fresh. Good depth and a solid rotation keep games from slipping away.

The 2010 Wisky fake punt was the first of many years where opponents took advantage of KF’s conservative and bullheaded approach. It wasn’t until the Bo Pelini flipping his cap at the ref game when the Hawkeyes finally turned the tide. After that, opponents finally knew Iowa will be watching for fake punts, practicing onside kick recoveries and fourth down defense.

1. MSU B1G Title Game
2. '02 ISU game
3. Outback Bowl Screwjob vs. Florida
4. 1990 Rose Bowl
5. 1986 Rose Bowl
6. Alamo Bowl vs. Texas
7. 1991 Holiday Bowl Tie vs. BYU
8. Wisconsin (Pick a Fuggin' year)
9. Arizona in the desert
10. N.C. State kickoff classic
I wasn't around for some of these, but I feel it. A few of these really hit hard.
RevolvingConfusedBushbaby-size_restricted.gif

Revised: (top 5)
1. MSU B1G Title Game
2, 1985 Game vs. Ohio State
3. '02 ISU game
4. 1986 Rose Bowl
5. Wisconsin (year in Iowa City, with two Special teams fumbles paving the way for a Wisky comeback / victory)

Besides the obvious #1 which was Mich State v Iowa in BT title game, I would say Penn State at Iowa in 2017.

2017 Penn State
2010 Ohio State
2010 Wisconsin

but also games that Iowa had no business losing

2007 Western Michigan
2012 Central Michigan
2014 Iowa State

2010 MSU title game. Frustrating at the time, then even more seeing the replay of Josey zeroing in on the RB only to get tackled by the OG on the TD play. Should have been a 2 yard loss.

Ohio St in 1985, I was 13. We went to the game in Columbus and I was teary eyed the entire drive home. We win that one and we’re number 1 in the nation going into the Rose Bowl. Can’t help but think if we’re number 1 that we play better and beat UCLA for the national championship. And a #1 undefeated Iowa gives Chuck the Heisman over Bo.

Well, Ronnie Harmon was going to fumble as many times as needed to lose that Rose Bowl game. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT