ADVERTISEMENT

What magazines do you subscribe to? Digital, print, or both?

RunRonnieRun

HR All-American
Aug 23, 2007
I still get a lot of print magazines. All of them come with digital access, and I probably read them 50/50 print/digital.

Current subscriptions:

Architectural Digest
Bon Apetit
Esquire
Forbes
Garden & Gun
Golf Digest
GQ
The Economist
The New Yorker

Currently:

The Atlantic
Bloomberg Businessweek
Atlanta Business Chronicle (not glossy so may not count)
Florida Sportsman

Time
Stereophile
Sound and Vision
The Absolute Sound
Popular Science
Guitar Player
Sierra (Club)

Lots of paywalls out there. No digital subscriptions for anything?
Nope. There are so many free sources of information. News is everywhere, opinion pieces are everywhere. On hobbies or other interests, you can get much better info online in forums vs. glossy magazines with superficial articles that are 60% ads.

And when all else fails, I have Ciggy!

HROT is all I need.... except I get most of my political information from signs posted in front of peoples homes.

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
Newspapers:
Tampa Bay Times
Wall Street Journal

Magazines:
Mens Health
Islands
Boating (this either just lapsed or is just about to lapse; every year about now I go to a boat show in Tampa that they sponsor, and if you spend a few minutes to fill out a form at the front desk they give you an annual subscription & some other trinket/gift - usually either a coozie or a floating key ring; since it is usually about 10000 degrees out on the docks, the coozie comes in handy).
Bon Apetit
Bloomberg
Kiplingers

Magazines: Bon Appetit, Savur, Cigar Aficionado (nonsmoker, I read it just for the articles...), Wine Spectator, Whisky...maybe more. A few unsolicited publications and journals.

All on Kindle, the food ones were added during Covid. They've been fun to flip through and occasionally make something out of them.

Scuba Diving
Bon Appetit
Food & Wine
Cuisine at home
Taste of Home

All digital. I canceled quite a few because

Bon Appetit
Food & Wine
The New Yorker
NYT

Print: The New Yorker

Online: WSJ, NYT, and Philly Inquirer

Two months ago was one of the more depressing moments in my life, as I cancelled delivery of the NYT and Inquirer. Previously, I had started every morning with breakfast and a newspaper spread out on the table since about 1973. Every Sunday I would spend at least an hour lounging with a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper. It has been one of the things I love in life.

But since moving to our current address two years ago, the paper delivery has been so abysmal my daily routine has turned into a major daily annoyance, as the deliveries are frequently missed and even more frequently late - far too late for my morning routine. I finally decided the aggravation was too great and I cancelled. I now spending mornings with the New Yorker, but it would not be the same under any circumstances, but without any Broadway shows to review it's even worse.

Nope. There are so many free sources of information. News is everywhere, opinion pieces are everywhere. On hobbies or other interests, you can get much better info online in forums vs. glossy magazines with superficial articles that are 60% ads.

And when all else fails, I have Ciggy!

The problem with that is the Internet will identify stories you read and start feeding you just those. And frequently it will steer you to unreliable sources.

The only really good way to stay informed is newspapers. They don't zero-in on a finite set of interests (or worse, viewpoints) and nothing is published until it has gone through fact-checking and editing. Especially WSJ and NYT, where they provide an unparalleled level of depth that is required if you genuinely want to be informed.

The problem with that is the Internet will identify stories you read and start feeding you just those. And frequently it will steer you to unreliable sources.

The only really good way to stay informed is newspapers. They don't zero-in on a finite set of interests (or worse, viewpoints) and nothing is published until it has gone through fact-checking and editing. Especially WSJ and NYT, where they provide an unparalleled level of depth that is required if you genuinely want to be informed.
I hear you, but I think I’m an astute enough news consumer to know the expected bias before reading the piece. Just like reading the editorial pages that have opinions from across the spectrum.

I still get a lot of print magazines. All of them come with digital access, and I probably read them 50/50 print/digital.

Current subscriptions:

Architectural Digest
Bon Apetit
Esquire
Forbes
Garden & Gun
Golf Digest
GQ
The Economist
The New Yorker

Thought you were pulling my leg with the ‘Garden & Gun’.
Having run a magazine/book store 20 years ago I thought I’d seen every them all (there are more crochet magazine than you could imagine).
Launching a magazine in 2007 and surviving is impressive.

Reactions: torbee
I hear you, but I think I’m an astute enough news consumer to know the expected bias before reading the piece. Just like reading the editorial pages that have opinions from across the spectrum.

In with you on the spectrum of bias, I’m just always looking for more sources to find what pieces this or that source choose to leave out.

All print:
Time
The Atlantic
Bon Appetit
Wine Enthusiast
Mary Jane's Farm (the wife's [no pic])

edab2f3d8cb9466ab1677ff97121b8bf1018269283.jpg

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT