ADVERTISEMENT

What Mississippi River town in Iowa has the best downtown?

Haven't been to Burlington in a long time but the internet says good things about their downtown. Home of the Burlington Bulldogs.

Greatest Iowa HS FB game I ever saw was Tim Dwight's City High squad vs. Tavian Banks Bettendorf team. Last team with the ball won - Bettendorf.

Two AMAZING athletes. Bett and City High were the 2 big dogs in the yard on the east side of Iowa.

0*ltQkCTMfLA76FYzr.

Clinton had a good one, on 5th Ave. no less. Don't know what it's like now. The Van Allen bldg. was designed by a noted architect, I think Sullivan.

Yeah, but it lost its character with the dike. I like D Port and Burlington compared to theirs. Dubuque's is hard to explain. Cool buildings but confusing and some spots need a lot of work. Same with both D Port and Burlington though. Lots of character in those building in the downtowns of both.

Totally biased but Davenport has the most going on of the decent sized cities on the river, with Dubuque a very close second.

LeClaire is bougie but pretty with good restaurants.

Agreed, kinda. Burlington has the most potential though. Maybe its the bluff that makes it so cool.

Well it is not Keokuk my hometown. But Galena is pretty cool along with Prarie Du Chein. Keokuk did have a cool downtown when I was a kid however.

Reactions: CelticHawk
Burlington, with Dubuque a close second since building the Mystique Ice Arena for the Fighting Saints and the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium.

Ahh, yeah. Guttenberg is pretty awesome as well. But Burlington is very unique.

I've been going to Guttenberg since the early 70's. Currently own a cabin/home nearby too.

Downtown Guttenberg is nice, but a bit boring. There ain't much to do really outside of the river. But it is a nice little town, clean, the people are mostly great, and on weekends during the summer it is more lively.

My plan is to retire there.

I've been going to Guttenberg since the early 70's. Currently own a cabin/home nearby too.

Downtown Guttenberg is nice, but a bit boring. There ain't much to do really outside of the river. But it is a nice little town, clean, the people are mostly great, and on weekends during the summer it is more lively.

Gutenberg is the most scenic for sure

Burlington? Really? It’s alright, nothing to write home about. Of course most Iowa Mississippi River towns aren’t the best.

See you there.

Reactions: JMNSHO
Reading these answers, I'm left thinking...why don't we have nicer riverfront towns? With great downtown and riverfront entertainment options?
We can do better...

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT