ADVERTISEMENT

What NFL team is most like Iowa?

When the Hawks had Stanley and would do no huddles from time to time they reminded me of the 2005 Patriots team that went 10-6 and lost to the Broncos in playoffs.

Patriots AINEC. In fact, our entire system is designed nearly identically to theirs. The Pats had arguably the top defense and special teams this year, as they typically do. Our offense is (supposed to be) built around the run, mixed in with high percentage passes that any smart QB with a good arm can make based off of presnap reads (Mac Jones completed 67% of his passes this year as a rookie). The Patriots don’t have any big name receivers (it’s historically been their slot man - think Ragaini, Vandeberg, Easley, etc. versus Welker, Edelman, Hogan) and usually really good receiving TE’s who are very active in the passing game. Both Ferentz’ (Kirk and Brian) have spent substantial time around Belichick, widely considered a top coach ever, so this isn’t super surprising

I don’t hate the 49ers pick, but Shanahan is way more creative in his run game than anything Iowa or the Patriots will throw (or run) at you

Patriots AINEC. In fact, our entire system is designed nearly identically to theirs. The Pats had arguably the top defense and special teams this year, as they typically do. Our offense is (supposed to be) built around the run, mixed in with high percentage passes that any smart QB with a good arm can make based off of presnap reads (Mac Jones completed 67% of his passes this year as a rookie). The Patriots don’t have any big name receivers (it’s historically been their slot man - think Ragaini, Vandeberg, Easley, etc. versus Welker, Edelman, Hogan) and usually really good receiving TE’s who are very active in the passing game. Both Ferentz’ (Kirk and Brian) have spent substantial time around Belichick, widely considered a top coach ever, so this isn’t super surprising

I don’t hate the 49ers pick, but Shanahan is way more creative in his run game than anything Iowa or the Patriots will throw (or run) at you
Maybe post Brady patriots but waaay too many championships and too good of qb play/too much offensive competency to be anything like Iowa in end product before last 2 years.... even though that is Kirk's model it seems. Recruiting not nearly good enough and Belichick wouldnt hire or keep around a bum like Brian as OC

Maybe post Brady patriots but waaay too many championships and too good of qb play/too much offensive competency to be anything like Iowa in end product before last 2 years.... even though that is Kirk's model it seems. Recruiting not nearly good enough and Belichick wouldnt hire or keep around a bum like Brian as OC
Well part of the difference is that Iowa is taking guys from high school and developing them physically while also teaching them a pro style offense and are hampered by an inability to recruit top players, whereas the Patriots pretty much get their pick of pros via the draft and free agency. But if you look at offensive scheme, it’s very similar

Brady also had the opportunity to QB the Pats for 20 years to the point where he knew the system and what to look for on his presnap reads better than anybody else. It’s how he was able to do it for so long despite being an immobile QB. Manning was the same

Reactions: cm8124
Well part of the difference is that Iowa is taking guys from high school and developing them physically while also teaching them a pro style offense and are hampered by an inability to recruit top players, whereas the Patriots pretty much get their pick of pros via the draft and free agency. But if you look at offensive scheme, it’s very similar

I think New England's draft profile is about as similar as you can get to Iowa's recruiting. The Patriots famously avoided first round picks, drafting value guys in the second round who fit their franchise. Iowa recruits relatively value guys who fit their program.

I think New England's draft profile is about as similar as you can get to Iowa's recruiting. The Patriots famously avoided first round picks, drafting value guys in the second round who fit their franchise. Iowa recruits relatively value guys who fit their program.
True, but they also bring in a lot of great established players in free agency. This season, their best pass rusher was Matthew Judon who was with the Ravens the past five or so years, got Kyle Van Noy back at backer who is really good, two established tight ends in Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry, and an established receiver in Kendrick Bourne, just as some bigger names

None of them are huge names, but they fit the Belichick mold of guys who are willing to go 110% even when it’s not convenient… same as Ferentz and the guys he brings in

This years Steelers and Iowa were eerily similar with the offensive woes that both had struggles at time with an OL and this QB play. Being a fan of both, it was a year of defenses and retooling OL's.
Fan of both here, too. I really hope the Steelers take best available OL in the first round. Any QB available at #20 would probably be a reach. Sadly, Linderbaum will be gone by then, too.

Reactions: hawkisak
This years Steelers and Iowa were eerily similar with the offensive woes that both had struggles at time with an OL and this QB play. Being a fan of both, it was a year of defenses and retooling OL's.
As a fellow Steeler fan I’m in agreement..we’re heading for a rebuild in the burgh…
Yeah the offense sucks but they’ve given up 136 points on their last 4 playoff games. Now you tell me what they need to fix?

Fan of both here, too. I really hope the Steelers take best available OL in the first round. Any QB available at #20 would probably be a reach. Sadly, Linderbaum will be gone by then, too.
I’m holding out hope TL is there at 20. Not counting on it but hopeful. But yeah OL, OL, ILB, CB in that order .
go out and get a Marcus Mariota, or Derek Carr if Vegas moves off him. QB class is fairly weak this year . Pickett would be nice but likely gone by 20

I’m holding out hope TL is there at 20. Not counting on it but hopeful. But yeah OL, OL, ILB, CB in that order .
go out and get a Marcus Mariota, or Derek Carr if Vegas moves off him. QB class is fairly weak this year . Pickett would be nice but likely gone by 20
I'd think they have a shot at Linderbaum...The desperately need OL and an anchor @ Center would be a start. They don't seem to take Iowa guys though.

Reactions: the24fan
I'm going with the 1936 Chicago Bears. The Bears were 9-3 and finished second in the league to the Packers.

Nagurski was alot like Pottebaum...and the bears offense averaged 18.5 points a game...and the defense saved their asses almost every time out.

I had to go back to 1936 to find an offense that resembled our current one as far as production is concerned.

Reactions: joemc2
up by 6 with 5 mins to go at the opponents 48 they punted just like we did against ky on 4th and 1. niners however survived while we lost.
:)
Yes, that part was similar..... Rest of the game looked like us except our TE makes all our catches. Their overrated TE😉 had one or two?

I'd think they have a shot at Linderbaum...The desperately need OL and an anchor @ Center would be a start. They don't seem to take Iowa guys though.
I would agree normally but if he’s sitting there at 20 or 15ish I think they might make a move up to get him. If they truly value a C they’ll jump at that.

Pains Ol' Doodle to say it, but Doodle's Stillers were very similar.
  • Horrid OL...arguably one of the worst in the league? Check
  • Marginal QB play? Check
  • Lots of drops by receivers? Check
  • A really good TE? Check
  • Head-scratching offensive play-calling? Check
  • Worst first quarter offense in all of football? Check
  • Defense hung out to dry repeatedly by an egregious number of three-and-outs? Check
  • Lots of punting? Check
  • Good kicker? Check
  • Settling for field goals in the red zone at an alarming rate? Check
  • A head coach who seemed oblivious to the problems, especially on offense? Check
  • An administration/ownership that is loyal to a fault? Check
  • "Real fans" admonishing everyone else for not being satisfied with meaningless metrics like "no losing seasons in 18 years" instead of measuring success by playoff wins and championships? Check
  • Black and Gold uniforms? Check

• Defense hung out to dry repeatedly by an egregious number of three-and-outs? Check
  • Lots of punting? Check
  • Good kicker? Check
  • A head coach who seemed oblivious to the problems, especially on offense? Check
  • "Real fans" admonishing everyone else for not being satisfied with meaningless metrics like "no losing seasons in 18 years" instead of measuring success by playoff wins and championships? Check
Nailed it… I for the life of me cannot figure out how Matt Canada hasn’t been fired already ..I get it he was hamstrung by a bad OL and limited QB play but his scheme sucks.
First two picks need to Be OL
Then ILB, see if u can get a guy like Derek Carr or mariotta for QB… sounds like Keith Butler may retire , but Terell Austin will most likely be promoted . Bottom line they got a lot of holes …

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
Kind of like the Cowboys. Play in a terrible division, beat the weak teams, get beat by teams with a pulse. Choke on the big stage.

• Lots of punting? Check
  • Good kicker? Check

Well done. I would trade Tomlin and any player except Watt for a servicable QB

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
As a bears fan, the answer is Chicago. It’s frustrated me for decades now. There is also some inverse relationship in the past 20 years where neither can be excellent at the same time, or at least that’s how it seems….meanwhile my Badger/Cheesehead friends are attending playoff games in Lambeau and watching the Badgers play in the Rose Bowl on seemingly back to back weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT