ADVERTISEMENT

What players step up next year?

Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
This includes freshies. I imagine Keegan Johnson will receive some early PT, similar to ISM. I hope Shannon can make some improvements and be a solid piece. Who else we looking at? Jestin Jacobs should start over Colbert imo when they run the 4-3. I also am hoping for a QB comp this off-season.

Waggoner,L Lee, Roberts, and J Harris on D. Plumb, Kallenberger, IKM, and a few of the young WR and TEs will emerge.

On offense Williams at rb, Plumb at rt MK has already stepped up, Britt needs to get in the rotation at guard and of course a receiver or two. Shudak needs to come back.

On D I haven't given up on Heflin coming back but Shannon, Waggoner, Evans and Lorsbeck. Jacobs, Colbert, Williams needs to be as advertised, Bracy and Roberts for depth.

Reactions: ThriceHawk
DId you watch Iowa football after thanksgiving?

His stats were quite a bit better, if you don't count his first 4 games. Good for a top 3 finish.... Had not thought of that.

If Iowa had played a regular season, and Petras had a couple of games to get into the flow and gain confidence, we probably lose one game this year... We definitely do not lose to NW & Purdue.

2020 has an asterisk

Yep. He improved from worst in the BT to about 4th from the bottom.
Gotta like the prospect of SP getting a full spring practice period, a full summer to work with receivers to reduce the overthrows, and a full camp in August before taking any more meaningful snaps in September. I still like his upside. If Deuce beats him out, so be it.

I can’t believe I’m going down this road because I clearly said after Thanksgiving, where he really looked good.

If you’re using the efficiency rating I’ll try and hold my laughter so you can’t see me. That efficiency rating has Taguvailoa is the second best passer in the Big Ten with his 7 TDs and 7 INTs. Lol. Come on man.

You seriously want to say with a straight face that at the end of the year, you’d take Adrian Martinez, Sean Clifford, Joe Milton, Graham Mertz, etc. over Petras? Yikes man!

I can’t believe I’m going down this road because I clearly said after Thanksgiving, where he really looked good.

If you’re using the efficiency rating I’ll try and hold my laughter so you can’t see me. That efficiency rating has Taguvailoa is the second best passer in the Big Ten with his 7 TDs and 7 INTs. Lol. Come on man.

You seriously want to say with a straight face that at the end of the year, you’d take Adrian Martinez, Sean Clifford, Joe Milton, Graham Mertz, etc. over Petras? Yikes man!
Correct me if I am wrong; but, I think what I am saying is we need an upgrade at QB. Now, that can come either by Petras improving significantly or someone else stepping up to the plate that will preform better.

Correct me if I am wrong; but, I think what I am saying is we need an upgrade at QB. Now, that can come either by Petras improving significantly or someone else stepping up to the plate that will preform better.
That’s not how the comment read. You named Deuce specifically, which to me means you don’t count on Petras.

Saying “Iowa is very weak at QB” is incorrect in my strong opinion. Petras showed huge growth through the year. There is no reason to think that growth isn’t going to continue.

Correct me if i’m wrong but we heard/read the same crap about bethard, stanley, stanzi etc after year one and even after that.

Reactions: Tytyhawk
If you could not see that SP was incredibly improved the final 2 games compared to the first 6, then you're refusing to try. His last 2 games were rock solid - 5 TD, 0 INT, 8+ yds/att, 60% compl%, avg Rtg ~157.

Even looking at the entire season, Fields and Pennix were the only 2 B1G QB's that were clearly superior to SP.

SP is 2-0 against Penn St/Wisconsin. Nate Stanley was 0-6. Iowa also has a 6-game winning streak.

I'm hoping that Padilla and Hogan really push SP in camp so that he keeps his competitive edge and continues to improve. SP would really have to regress from how he ended the season to get passed up by either of them.

Some of Iowa's great seasons came under a junior QB (Rodgers '90, Stanzi '09, Beathard '15; plus 2 other 9-win seasons - Sherman '96 and Stanley '18). I think we're going to have a great '21 season under Petras.

Reactions: CF_93 and iafan44
This includes freshies. I imagine Keegan Johnson will receive some early PT, similar to ISM. I hope Shannon can make some improvements and be a solid piece. Who else we looking at? Jestin Jacobs should start over Colbert imo when they run the 4-3. I also am hoping for a QB comp this off-season.

Charlie Jones

I think Iowa’s LB corps will be amongst the best in the country and that Petras will make a big jump forward. We already began to see it at the end of this year. LaPorta will have a breakout campaign as well, but will be interesting to see who garners the majority of the reps at TE2

If Iowa’s new starting receivers are able to step up enough to force defenses to respect our passing game, next year will be Iowa’s best team since 2015 imo

Reactions: CF_93
SP is 2-0 against Penn St/Wisconsin. Nate Stanley was 0-6. Iowa also has a 6-game winning streak.
Almost everyone beat PSU and Wisky this year. Major struggle with long ball. You can get all giddy happy you want, stats don't lie. It was the defense that won games.

I thought you weren’t watching Hawkeye football this fall?
I clearly stated that I was watching youtube highlights/games well after completion. I have not added to the ratings. Nothing profited after me. I do want to return as a full, supporting fan; but, not until the disrespectful protests are gone. All sports have suffered dearly for the foolishness.

Can I ask what you guys are seeing that has you hell bent petras improved over the last 4 games? His half time stats against Illinois were 10/18 for 144 and against wiscy it was 10/19 for 87 yards and this

Which I can only describe as the MOST panic I have ever seen from a D1 QB.

Are we just saying he improved because we won? By my count he played 8 games and had 2 good halves.

If you could not see that SP was incredibly improved the final 2 games compared to the first 6, then you're refusing to try. His last 2 games were rock solid - 5 TD, 0 INT, 8+ yds/att, 60% compl%, avg Rtg ~157.

Even looking at the entire season, Fields and Pennix were the only 2 B1G QB's that were clearly superior to SP.

I'm hoping that Padilla and Hogan really push SP in camp so that he keeps his competitive edge and continues to improve. SP would really have to regress from how he ended the season to get passed up by either of them.

Some of Iowa's great seasons came under a junior QB (Rodgers '90, Stanzi '09, Beathard '15; plus 2 other 9-win seasons - Sherman '96 and Stanley '18). I think we're going to have a great '21 season under Petras.

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement. Not me, not you, not the coaches know how Padilla or Hogan compare to SP because the key QB skills (decision-making, accuracy under pressure, pocket presents, ....) can only be fairly evaluated under game conditions.

What we do know is that SP had probably 30 snaps when his play was off the charts poor-----worse than would be expected by any Div I QB including Padilla or Hogan. 5 of those might be expected by a first year starter, but not 30. And he had virtually no offsets----plays where he turned a bad play into a good one.

What that says to me is that the chances he can be brought to the level where our QB play is above average is slim to none, and slim just left.......... We don't know if Padilla or Hogan can be that guy because we didn't use a wasted year to give them some playing time to find out.

My guess is that neither Padilla or Hogan will get a real opportunity and with our first game being a conference game, "experience " will be the excuse

Jack Campbell and Sam LaPorta both emerge as stars next year and both earn 1st Team All Big 10.

Can I ask what you guys are seeing that has you hell bent petras improved over the last 4 games? His half time stats against Illinois were 10/18 for 144 and against wiscy it was 10/19 for 87 yards and this

Which I can only describe as the MOST panic I have ever seen from a D1 QB.

Are we just saying he improved because we won? By my count he played 8 games and had 2 good halves.
Well he was completing passes and giving receivers the chance to run for YAC, which is more than we can say for the first half of the season where even his completions were bad passes that receivers had to do acrobatics for. Also completed a couple deep balls in the last few games. It’s a low bar but demonstrates increased comfortability in the pocket and is a step in the right direction

Offense and special teams will be fine, IMHO, especially if Shudak returns. Defensive back 7 will be especially good. Everything hinges on the front 4.

I remember the year that Abdul Hodge and Chad Greenway were about to be seniors. The defensive line in front of them mostly graduated but we said that we should be Ok because Greenway and Hodge are so good that they would cover any mistakes. Unfortunately, IIRC it didn’t work out for us. Front 4 matters the most. Therefore, the guys I think need to step up are:
Shannon, Lee, Black, Waggoner, Lorbeck, Evans and 1 or two of those freshmen: Logan, Bruce or Craig. Or Liddle, or Reames, or Karchinski or McCall.

I really don’t care who it is, but next to ZVV, we need 7 guys that can uphold the high level of DLine play we have had these last 5 or 6 years.

Heflin returning would be a real positive both for his own prospects and the team.

IF Heflin came back I can see from L to R: Waggoner, Heflin, Shannon and ZVV. On obvious passing downs, Heflin and Shannon come out, ZVV and Waggoner move inside, and Evans and Lorbeck ( who has D1 experience) become the DE’s. I can foresee a pretty effective front 4 right there with an exceptional back 7.

Reactions: 01135965 and Bryzzo
I clearly stated that I was watching youtube highlights/games well after completion. I have not added to the ratings. Nothing profited after me. I do want to return as a full, supporting fan; but, not until the disrespectful protests are gone. All sports have suffered dearly for the foolishness.
Stay away for as long as you'd like. The Hawkeyes don't need you.

Good riddance to you and your antiquated thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT