ADVERTISEMENT

What role will Oliver Martin play this year

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
The WR Room is probably the most stacked that it has ever been at Iowa.

Martin appears to be at best the #5 option this Fall behind ISM, B. Smith, T. Tracy and N. Ragaini.

I for one hope that we get a chance to see Martin as the primary punt returner this Fall.

I think if he stays healthy you'll see him on the field as a WR. I'm not sure how hurt he was last year but he started the season with a good number of reps.

I think Oliver will see the field as Iowa never makes it through a season without some injuries to receivers. He just happened to be the least-experienced (in Iowa's offense) and often injured one last year. He was just starting to shine when things went south for him last year. I know that I will be pulling for him this year!

waterboy2jpg

If he beats out the guys in front of him, it means he’s damned good. We really don’t have a weak link in our top 5 receivers, and don’t sleep on Charlie Jones who transferred in from Buffalo last year and will be eligible this season.

Totally true; the best WRs will be on the field. Keep in mind, however, that at Iowa WRs do much more than catch passes.

Reactions: Bee93
If he beats out the guys in front of him, it means he’s damned good. We really don’t have a weak link in our top 5 receivers, and don’t sleep on Charlie Jones who transferred in from Buffalo last year and will be eligible this season.

Yeah, this transfer still confuses me because of what we have. I'll duck for cover after I say that I would like to see what Oliver Martin could do with Ragaini's role. Ragaini is a fine player but he and Tracy each had some dropsies last season. Tracy's playmaking ability is tough to keep off the field though.

Martin is the mystery wrapped in an enigma. Catches an early TD. Everyone thinks he will get reps. Doesn't sniff the field.

We are going to find out if he’s any good at this level as our receiver depth is strong. He or anyone else that wants a larger role better bring it.

Maybe I am getting you mixed up with another poster but wasn't it clear to you that Oliver should have been starting last season? ;)

(yes, i am having some fun here)

Yeah, this transfer still confuses me because of what we have. I'll duck for cover after I say that I would like to see what Oliver Martin could do with Ragaini's role. Ragaini is a fine player but he and Tracy each had some dropsies last season. Tracy's playmaking ability is tough to keep off the field though.

Martin is the mystery wrapped in an enigma. Catches an early TD. Everyone thinks he will get reps. Doesn't sniff the field.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Based on fragility and body type Oliver will have a difficult time pulling downs away from Rags and T2. Those boys run mostly inside Y routes. Both Rags and T2 are the kind of compact body types with quick cuts are the ideal for that position.

I'll tell you what, he better play a large role in the receiver core this year. Its not entirely clear to me just what was going on with his injury situation last year. If healthy I expect him to see significant time and even move into a starting role this year.

I think a big key to OM or any other WR gaining an edge to seeing the field hinges on the chemistry built with Petras (presuming he is in fact our starting QB). Given the loss of spring practice, building chemistry with a first year starter will be essential. As others have stated, a crowded WR room is a great "problem" to have, can't wait to see how it shakes out.

Martin appears to be at best the #5 option this Fall behind ISM, B. Smith, T. Tracy and N. Ragaini.

I for one hope that we get a chance to see Martin as the primary punt returner this Fall.

Benchwarmer

The two that transferred in is this their last year? Or do we get them next year as well? I seem to remember they had that both city year and this is their final year. Thanks and I agree with most/all Iowa is very deep and very talented at wide receiver.

The two that transferred in is this their last year? Or do we get them next year as well? I seem to remember they had that both city year and this is their final year. Thanks and I agree with most/all Iowa is very deep and very talented at wide receiver.
Charlie Jones has two years eligibility remaining. Glad to have him, looks like a really nifty player. Could do return work for sure.

I just hope the coaches don't forget how to pass the ball just because we have a new QB...We can win the West if we just pass 50% of the time and complete 66%!!!

Charlie Jones doesn’t look to have the speed to break away from people, like ISM does, he may not even have the speed of Tracey or Ragaini, but it looks to me like he has better hands.

IMHO, that is the more important skill to have.

Jones looks to me like a great slot receiver in the mold of Easley or Vandeberg. Unfortunately, that’s also where Tracey and Ragaini play. Personally, I’ll take the guy with great hands who won’t drop the ball on important 3rd downs. I would like to see those sure hands on punt returns as well. Even if it means a lot of fair catches, at least he can keep it from bouncing and rolling another 15 yards. IKM needs to be saved for KR and the playmaker WR.

As for OM, he would probably see the field more if he learned the X and Y outside WR spots. We may not need him as much this coming season, with Smith and IKM being seniors, but we will need to lean on him in 2021.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
Hard to sniff the field when you’re hurt, which he was.

I guess I missed the memo on him being hurt. For the bulk of last season, there were a lot of questions about why he wasn't playing along with rumors of him being in the doghouse or that he just wasn't as good as hoped. I don't recall hearing about him being hurt. As much time as I spend here, I can't figure out how I missed that. What was his injury?

For the '21 season, I anticipate that Martin will play the role of a leader - and a guy who helps make the room better. How much will he play this year? I don't know ... but I am very happy about the personnel we have in the room.

Just as Flick and others have suggested ... I'm thinking that Charlie Jones is a guy who will carve out a role for himself too.

ADVERTISEMENT