ADVERTISEMENT

What should Fran do with his lineup and rotation?

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
Obviously it's been a really odd week with the reserves basically saving the day against Michigan State and then riding the starters against Ohio State. Just feels like two different extremes and there's probably a happy place in the middle.

First, the starting lineup. This is assuming Fredrick is out. I would actually move Keegan back to the bench, where he has shown he can thrive and start Joe T. He's started last year and would bring more defense to the table and it would allow JBo to move to the two. I know the argument is Keegan brings more size, but with Fredrick Iowa was playing smaller at the four anyway.

I think Fran has to find a few extra first half minutes of rest for Luka. The quick turnaround the beating he's taking from two or three guys at a time showed up last night. Missed free throws early. I'd do what I can to get him a couple more minutes of rest because you have to ride him late in games.

Gotta find more minutes for Perkins with Fredrick out. When C.J. is playing, then less minutes. Perkins has to get 15+ per game without Fredrick. Maybe more if needed and he's playing well. Would also give some consideration to playing Ulis more at the point in place of Joe T with Fredrick out.

Here's the key point. The defense has been harped on all year and it's in regression mode. I do think some of this recent struggle has to do with C.J. being out/limited. It's kind of knocked everything off kilter, IMHO. But, you have to adjust. So, too many guys getting beat on defense. Either man to man or not making the right rotations and contesting full out in the zone. Fran has to draw a line in the sand. No matter who you are, if you don't give a better effort on D, then you are going to get yanked out of the game. Doesn't matter if you are knocking down shots, play D or sit. That's the way you get better on D and if this team wants to go where it hopes it can go in March, it has to get engaged on D.

That's my thoughts on where to go from here. This re-match with Indiana felt important coming into the week. Feels much more so right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News