ADVERTISEMENT

What should the theme song be for the Iowa Hawkeyes?

I think I'm getting the jist of what OP is getting at here. Yeah, Back in Black is the first thing I think of when I think of Iowa Football but I don't think he's talking about the team's intro song. I think he is talking about a shared fan experience song. Jump Around at Wisconsin is one, another is Country Roads at West Virginia, and, dare I say it, Sweet Caroline at ISU.

To that end, I've always thought it was Hey Jude at the end of the 3rd quarter when the band plays it. I would step it up a notch and not have the band play the song but rather blast it over the PA like they do at WVA so the stadium can sing along. Problem is Hey Jude, while a beautiful song, is a bit detailed in the lyrics and 4 1/2 minutes long. This type of sing a long/dance along song needs to be much tighter, simpler, and higher energy.

Heck, maybe we could all do the Hokey Pokey together after a W and honor Hayden.

Using this version since Iowa seems stuck in the 1950's sometimes.

I say play "The Rising" by Springstein; it has energy, a chant line for the students and it is a tribute to good people. A decent edited version would fire up the stadium between the 3rd and 4th quarter!

Reactions: natchrlman
Really? You've never actually listened to the lyrics to Jump Around and maybe neither has the admins at Wisconsin. We need to bring more awareness to these lyrics and get Jump Around "cancelled".

Excerpts of lyrics from Jump Around by House of Pain

"Muggs lifts a funk flow, someone's talking junk
Yo I bust him in the eye, and then I'll take the punk's hoe"

"I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe
If your girl steps up, I'm smacking the hoe"

"'Cause I got lyrics, but you ain't got none
If you come to battle bring a shotgun!
But if you do you're a fool, 'cause I duel, to the death
Trying to step to me, you'll take your last breath
I got the skills, come get your fill
'Cause when I shoot the gift, I shoot to kill"

The entire song is about violence and whooping ass. A couple of references to calling women hoes and even has a verse glorifying the abuse of women. But hey, On Wisconsin! Amirite?
I think you missed the point. i may have over reached by saying "no university would break that rule" but, the thread is for IOWA not Wisconsin. Hence my post is specifically for Kinnick. Therefore the content of my post is specific for Kinnick. And for the record, who in their right mind wants to decipher the lyrics to Jump Around?

I think I'm getting the jist of what OP is getting at here. Yeah, Back in Black is the first thing I think of when I think of Iowa Football but I don't think he's talking about the team's intro song. I think he is talking about a shared fan experience song. Jump Around at Wisconsin is one, another is Country Roads at West Virginia, and, dare I say it, Sweet Caroline at ISU.

To that end, I've always thought it was Hey Jude at the end of the 3rd quarter when the band plays it. I would step it up a notch and not have the band play the song but rather blast it over the PA like they do at WVA so the stadium can sing along. Problem is Hey Jude, while a beautiful song, is a bit detailed in the lyrics and 4 1/2 minutes long. This type of sing a long/dance along song needs to be much tighter, simpler, and higher energy.

Heck, maybe we could all do the Hokey Pokey together after a W and honor Hayden.

Using this version since Iowa seems stuck in the 1950's sometimes.

Beatles fanatic here but Hey Jude is a mellow stoner sing along. Imagine 73000 people screaming Thunderstruck!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT