ADVERTISEMENT

What should we do with this guy's gun? - Iowa City parent faces criminal charges after bringing gun to Grant Wood Elementary School

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Good guy? Bad guy? So hard to tell these days!

Brandon Jones, a parent of a student at Grant Wood Elementary School, located at 1930 Lakeside Drive, threatened school staff with a gun Wednesday morning. The school was immediately placed in HOLD mode, and the parent is now in custody.

According to an email obtained by The Daily Iowan from Superintendent of Iowa City Community School District Matt Degner, the gun was brought onto school grounds by Jones, who was threatening staff members inside the building.

Jones had a handgun in his holster attached to his hip and proceeded to hand the gun to another individual. The individual then proceeded to take the gun and leave the building.

According to the email, all classroom doors were closed and locked in HOLD mode, and there was no active movement in the hallways or any other part of the school. Per procedure, all exterior doors were also locked.

According to a press release from the Iowa City Police Department, police were called to the scene and responded immediately, and Jones was arrested.

Jones is facing three charges: carrying weapons on school grounds, first-degree harassment in the first count, and first-degree harassment in the second count.

All students and staff are reported to be safe, and the department stated in the email that there is no further threat to the school.

Classes resumed as normal and counselors will remain on campus to assist any student or staff member who wishes to speak with someone regarding the incident.

Those who require further assistance are encouraged to contact the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline if necessary.

“We are thankful for the quick response of our Grant Wood staff members and of the Iowa City Police Department,” Degner wrote in the email.

The school is working with law enforcement to conduct an investigation and officers are currently on campus conducting interviews and receiving all necessary details for the case.

Jones had a handgun in his holster attached to his hip [on school grounds] = Bad (-1 point)

Proceeded to hand the gun to another individual. The individual then proceeded to take the gun and leave the building. = Good (+1 point)

Jones, who was threatening staff members inside the building = Bad (-1 point)

I say toss him behind bars and melt down the gun.

Some parents will use an email to the school/staff to express their opinion.

Some parents will show up to a PTA meeting to express their opinion.

This guy was merely expressing his opinion using a firearm.

Why are you so quick to judge someone’s communication style?

Some parents will use an email to the school/staff to express their opinion.

Some parents will show up to a PTA meeting to express their opinion.

This guy was merely expressing his opinion using a firearm.

Why are you so quick to judge someone’s communication style?

It sounds like he realized he had the firearm, handed it to someone else who took the firearm away from him and left the building with it. Then he continued into the school to express his opinion.

I'm not saying he's a good guy and it certainly sounds like some threats were issued. But it doesn't sound like he had the firearm when he was issuing the threats.

It sounds like he realized he had the firearm, handed it to someone else who took the firearm away from him and left the building with it. Then he continued into the school to express his opinion.

I'm not saying he's a good guy and it certainly sounds like some threats were issued. But it doesn't sound like he had the firearm when he was issuing the threats.

You would be a blast at parties.

Jones had a handgun in his holster attached to his hip [on school grounds] = Bad (-1 point)

Proceeded to hand the gun to another individual. The individual then proceeded to take the gun and leave the building. = Good (+1 point)

Gun didn't do anything wrong, I'd buy it.

Gun didn't do anything wrong, I'd buy it.
A little bit of sarcasm as I wasn't certain if he actually made it on to campus or not. Why was it holstered? Why was he carrying? Off-duty officer? Open carry state? I honestly didn't dig into it. I was hoping to be spoon fed...lots of threads today. Having the gun on or off campus is really the crux of this. We can discuss getting in to it with the staff separately.

Good guy? Bad guy? So hard to tell these days!

Brandon Jones, a parent of a student at Grant Wood Elementary School, located at 1930 Lakeside Drive, threatened school staff with a gun Wednesday morning. The school was immediately placed in HOLD mode, and the parent is now in custody.

According to an email obtained by The Daily Iowan from Superintendent of Iowa City Community School District Matt Degner, the gun was brought onto school grounds by Jones, who was threatening staff members inside the building.

Jones had a handgun in his holster attached to his hip and proceeded to hand the gun to another individual. The individual then proceeded to take the gun and leave the building.

According to the email, all classroom doors were closed and locked in HOLD mode, and there was no active movement in the hallways or any other part of the school. Per procedure, all exterior doors were also locked.

According to a press release from the Iowa City Police Department, police were called to the scene and responded immediately, and Jones was arrested.

Jones is facing three charges: carrying weapons on school grounds, first-degree harassment in the first count, and first-degree harassment in the second count.

All students and staff are reported to be safe, and the department stated in the email that there is no further threat to the school.

Classes resumed as normal and counselors will remain on campus to assist any student or staff member who wishes to speak with someone regarding the incident.

Those who require further assistance are encouraged to contact the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline if necessary.

“We are thankful for the quick response of our Grant Wood staff members and of the Iowa City Police Department,” Degner wrote in the email.

The school is working with law enforcement to conduct an investigation and officers are currently on campus conducting interviews and receiving all necessary details for the case.

OMG...OMG...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG...OMG...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
ricky-gervais-laugh.gif

• Love
Reactions: alaskanseminole
A little bit of sarcasm as I wasn't certain if he actually made it on to campus or not. Why was it holstered? Why was he carrying? Off-duty officer? Open carry state? I honestly didn't dig into it. I was hoping to be spoon fed...lots of threads today. Having the gun on or off campus is really the crux of this. We can discuss getting in to it with the staff separately.

He was on campus - the main office of an elementary school. Gun was holstered and then removed and handed it someone who was with him to take it out to the car. It’s Ioway - of course we’re open carry! Not an off duty officer that I know of.

I’m guessing up here in 2A derp land we’ll just end up slapping him on the wrist with a plea bargain and his “good guy” status will be fully restored. Hell, we already allow weapons locked in cars on school grounds, this guy barely crossed a line. Ioway!! ‘Murica!!!!

He was on campus - the main office of an elementary school. Gun was holstered and then removed and handed it someone who was with him to take it out to the car. It’s Ioway - of course we’re open carry! Not an off duty officer that I know of.

I’m guessing up here in 2A derp land we’ll just end up slapping him on the wrist with a plea bargain and his “good guy” status will be fully restored. Hell, we already allow weapons locked in cars on school grounds, this guy barely crossed a line. Ioway!! ‘Murica!!!!
I am happy he was cognitive enough to realize he was carrying and get it off school campus, BUT I've made it pretty clear I cannot stand open carry laws. And in today's climate, carrying a gun on school grounds is about as bad as it gets. Imagine standing up on a plane a few months after 9/11 and yelling, "I have a bomb!" to be funny.

...Sorry, Mr. Jones, while I support 2A, you were bone-headed enough to screw it up. That's on you. Actions have consequences.

And for whatever reason, once again, H4aD thinks its funny. I bet he'd get a real chuckle if it was his kid coming home after being locked down for an actual gun on campus not a "lockdown drill".

Last edited:

@joelbc - you're logged into the wrong account again.

Reactions: stickman80
Pretty sure every school has a 'no firearms' sign at the front door.
You don't just 'forget' you're carrying a gun. And, if he did, then he's not responsible gun owner.

If no threats were made regarding the weapon, then just charge him with bringing a gun into a restricted area.

There are gun people and then there are non-gun people. Sometimes they’re the same. Thanks for sharing this.

FWIW, I heard about this from a person in the ICCSD. Whether they are fully correct or not, I really cannot be sure. But...if so, technically the guy did not threaten anyone overtly with the gun. He is guilty of extremely poor judgment and severe consequences are definitely in order IMO.

But he reportedly made a statement to the effect, "Somebody better take this from me before I do something stupid...". Definitely not condoning that and one could legitimately perceive that as a veiled threat, BUT, he wasn't pointing the weapon at others and/or saying he was going to shoot things up, etc.

Just a minor distinction that I don't think the press story makes clear. Although IANAL, I think there is a statute on brandishing that could possibly apply. Throw the book at him I say...but I think the book may be a little thinner that it would have been if he had actually directly threatened personnel.

FWIW, I heard about this from a person in the ICCSD. Whether they are fully correct or not, I really cannot be sure. But...if so, technically the guy did not threaten anyone overtly with the gun. He is guilty of extremely poor judgment and severe consequences are definitely in order IMO.

But he reportedly made a statement to the effect, "Somebody better take this from me before I do something stupid...". Definitely not condoning that and one could legitimately perceive that as a veiled threat, BUT, he wasn't pointing the weapon at others and/or saying he was going to shoot things up, etc.

Just a minor distinction that I don't think the press story makes clear. Although IANAL, I think there is a statute on brandishing that could possibly apply. Throw the book at him I say...but I think the book may be a little thinner that it would have been if he had actually directly threatened personnel.

I think it probably did go down like this. Regardless, I'd argue this is exactly the type of behavior that should be flagged as "mental issues" and / or inappropriate for a gun owner and action should be taken up to and removing his "right" to weapons. What I think is meaningless though. As stated above, my guess is he gets a slap on the wrist and he'll be totin' his heater on his hip soon enough. Guns trump logic here in Ioway because.....ma rights!!! (not a "but Trump" unless you want to make it that way somehow)

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Just bringing the info, don't shoot the messenger...literally! Keep that brain on the level my gunslinging friend!

yosemite-sam-looney-tunes.gif
Was that before you hyperventalated with your assumptive 2nd post of what you're so sure will happen with this guy? From what we can tell he did something stupid and is being charged as such. If he brought the gun in to be intimidating or threatening, he should lose it. What about this story has you so worked up about "Ioway" and "Murica"? Do guns scare you that much?

Heard about this yesterday from my neighbor, one of his children goes to school there. My neighbor said that Mr Jones child was being bullied in school and it was reported to the administration. The administration said they would handle it and instead, the bullying intensified. Hence, Mr Jones going after the administration.

That is the rumor at least, so take it with a grain of salt.

Heard about this yesterday from my neighbor, one of his children goes to school there. My neighbor said that Mr Jones child was being bullied in school and it was reported to the administration. The administration said they would handle it and instead, the bullying intensified. Hence, Mr Jones going after the administration.

That is the rumor at least, so take it with a grain of salt.
I have zero issues with him wanting to speak to the admin, but brining a gun on school grounds is beyond stupid.

Oh, look, a thread with a gun in it that the usual suspects won't come charging into to defend the right of every American to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights just as soon as they saw a picture of Mr. Jones.

There are gun people and then there are non-gun people. Sometimes they’re the same. Thanks for sharing this.
I am glad too that this information was shared. Grant Wood Elementary School is located at 1930 Lakeside Drive. Many people will find this controversial and wish that this is useful to share on opinions that are different from our own. Strong emotions over guns exist in our society.

Oh, look, a thread with a gun in it that the usual suspects won't come charging into to defend the right of every American to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights just as soon as they saw a picture of Mr. Jones.
Ugh, I didn't see anyone defending this before we saw Mr Jones but sure, try to invent a race issue if you like, it's what you're good at.
I'm a firm 2A defender.
Bringing a gun into a school in a threatening manner has nothing to do with 2A, which is why he's being charged.
Period.

Was that before you hyperventalated with your assumptive 2nd post of what you're so sure will happen with this guy? From what we can tell he did something stupid and is being charged as such. If he brought the gun in to be intimidating or threatening, he should lose it. What about this story has you so worked up about "Ioway" and "Murica"? Do guns scare you that much?

You should value my perspective as much as I value yours bub. Your panties would be less bunched.

Shoot 'em straight cowboy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT