ADVERTISEMENT

What size skis do you ski?

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
I'm looking at upgrading my all-mountain ski this year and I found a good deal on a ski I like but it's a little short. On the other hand I'm over 50 now and not very fit. Shorter might be a good plan.
I'm 5'11" (can't claim 6' anymore) and usually ski a 177, the skis I found are 170s.

2343594656_9a6dfdc361_b.jpg

I have some 184cm Atomics that are pretty solid all-mountains. Depends on the ski, but 170 seems small at 5’11”.

I mainly slay pow on a snowboard.

I have some 184cm Atomics that are pretty solid all-mountains. Depends on the ski, but 170 seems small at 5’11”.

I mainly slay pow on a snowboard.
Yeah, but the new skis tend to run short. And, as I said, I'm older and less nimble. Figure shorter will make turning easier.
My powder skis are big old planks.

Reactions: torbee
Is this the shittiest subtle brag attempt of all time?

Alpine skiing isn’t exactly super popular in Midwest and those that do ski use whatever they hand them at the rental counter.

Maybe Colorado has a rivals forum for you to be lost in.

Alpine skiing isn’t exactly super popular in Midwest and those that do ski use whatever they hand them at the rental counter.

Nah, if that was the case I would have started with "I think my current skis are 177s, but they're up at the Tahoe house...."

If he rented skis, he would have started with, “I haven’t been skiing since my knee surgery, but I’m looking to get back into it.”

Evo says it’s fine, and they would know.
Yeah, 170s are on the low side of recommended for my height/weight/ski style.
I'm intermediate/advanced but see myself doing less and less backside/off-piste in the coming years.

Lot more skiers in Iowa than Florida, just sayin'.

And there are expats from both states all over the U.S., including many in Colorado/California and other skiing hotspots.

I'm looking at upgrading my all-mountain ski this year and I found a good deal on a ski I like but it's a little short. On the other hand I'm over 50 now and not very fit. Shorter might be a good plan.
I'm 5'11" (can't claim 6' anymore) and usually ski a 177, the skis I found are 170s.
I'd think that should be fine. This was kind of always an ambiguous thing to me and I asked a ski instructor/rental shop owner in Italy (i.e. he knows his stuff). He said to stand the ski in front of you, and if your a beginner it should come to your nose, intermediate to your forehead, and expert top of your head+.

You can't go wrong if you measure from your forehead to the floor and go with something in that range.

I'd think that should be fine. This was kind of always an ambiguous thing to me and I asked a ski instructor/rental shop owner in Italy (i.e. he knows his stuff). He said to stand the ski in front of you, and if your a beginner it should come to your nose, intermediate to your forehead, and expert top of your head+.

You can't go wrong if you measure from your forehead to the floor and go with something in that range.
Well, that would put these in the beginner range for me. But like I said, something easier to turn is probably ok as I get older. I'm not as concerned with going fast anymore. No chance I will beat my top speed in the coming years.

Well, that would put these in the beginner range for me. But like I said, something easier to turn is probably ok as I get older. I'm not as concerned with going fast anymore. No chance I will beat my top speed in the coming years.
Yeah, I’ve had shorter skis forever and kinda like them. I’m not an expert skier by any means - I like cruising down slopes with the kids and going easy on my body.

I remember the first few times I skied 30+ years ago I learned on these long narrow planks. I seem to recall 190-200cm. Sucked.

Yeah, I’ve had shorter skis forever and kinda like them. I’m not an expert skier by any means - I like cruising down slopes with the kids and going easy on my body.

I remember the first few times I skied 30+ years ago I learned on these long narrow planks. I seem to recall 190-200cm. Sucked.
Like I said, my last pair were 210s and built for racing, I bought them used off a friend of mine that is still a fairly competitive amateur ski racer. HOLY HELL do you get going fast! Lots of fun, but also quite terrifying. Hit 50 and decided it was time to retire them before I broke myself.

Like I said, my last pair were 210s and built for racing, I bought them used off a friend of mine that is still a fairly competitive amateur ski racer. HOLY HELL do you get going fast! Lots of fun, but also quite terrifying. Hit 50 and decided it was time to retire them before I broke myself.
I've hit 60+ on my current skis but that was me doing a speed run - finding a steep run and pointing them downhill. Stopping was.....challenging. Scared me so much that I never tried again. Just don't have the quad strength to stop in a relatively short area at that speed.

I've hit 60+ on my current skis but that was me doing a speed run - finding a steep run and pointing them downhill. Stopping was.....challenging. Scared me so much that I never tried again. Just don't have the quad strength to stop in a relatively short area at that speed.

This you?

ADVERTISEMENT