ADVERTISEMENT

What the 4 have that Iowa doesn't

the 4 teams that played last night didn't have a defense either.

our offense wasn't bad at all yesterday... we're up 21 points.. all we needed was to play smart... and that's what we did.. and thats why we won the game.

we're in a good spot moving forward
0-9 on 3rd down, 0-2 on 4th down, barely 200 yards of offense, wasted great field position multiple times, only scored 7 offensive points. The offense was not "wasn't bad at all". It was downright pathetic and embarrassing. I'm sorry, but your take is horrible and completely wrong.

It was a nice win and I am happy about it....but the offense is a joke.

0-9 on 3rd down, 0-2 on 4th down, barely 200 yards of offense, wasted great field position multiple times, only scored 7 offensive points. The offense was not "wasn't bad at all". It was downright pathetic and embarrassing. I'm sorry, but your take is horrible and completely wrong.

This. If the offense doesn't improve significantly, we can expect a lot more 7-5 type seasons now matter how good the D is.

I really like our defense, but on offense, the teams in the playoff are playing global thermonuclear war while Iowa is playing Tic-Tac-Toe.

I'm hoping once we get Cade in here the offense starts clicking.

our offense wasn't bad at all yesterday... we're up 21 points.. all we needed was to play smart... and that's what we did.. and thats why we won the game.

Michigan and OSU's defenses didn't have trouble throttling your son's offense, Mary. Of course, neither did SDSU.

I liked a lot of what I saw from Labas yesterday. I wish we got to see more of him this season. Not sure it would have changed the losses though.

The thing I don’t understand is that when you’re going 3 and out almost every drive, that isn’t a ball control offense like Ferentz claims to want. Imagine what our defense’s points per game given up had been if the offense could have sustained drives more frequently through the season. Even if they don’t score, just keeping TOP in our favor gives the other teams fewer opportunities to capitalize on a rare mistake by our defense.

So remember Mary here the next time one of the sunshine crowd says "no one on here says the offense is OK."

I always thought the object in football was to score more points than your opponent. Ferentz has did a pretty goid job of that in his career.

Oh. I opened the thread because I thought you were referring to the other four teams, in addition to the Hawks, who have won 8 or more games for the last seven seasons. I know, I know, Big 10 West Division, blah, blah, blah….. BS!

Huh? Georgia and Michigan both have top 10 defenses for 2022. When you play elite offenses there are going to be points scored.
Thank You. OhioSt played like garbage and still put up an easy 54 points. Michigan simply ran over that soft front, while not a 42-3 massacre like last year, just had well been.
Lets’s stick to trying to beat Nebraskas and Minnys, while playing South Dakota Sts in OOC. The big boys are a whole different level on defense and offense. Otherwise, KF would actually win something.

Wait, does OP think Labas is going to be starting next year?
No. I'm sure Captain Kirk has already assured Cade that he WILL be the starter. It still and always should be an open and earned position. Labas still deserves a fair chance. I personally don't think he win win it; but, deserves a fair chance.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Yeah, I'm sure Charlie Jones would have been stuck deep in the TCU depth chart...

Sure, he would see the field at TCU, but he isn't getting anywhere near the attention with Q on the field. Wish Chuck the best but he couldn't find a better situation than he had at Purdue with his buddy at QB and no other options to go to.

The 4 teams that played last nite had offenses, with multiple weapons. I doubt the Iowa defense would have slowed any of those four, especially considering how much time the defense would have been on the field.

1. All 4 quarterbacks are able to routinely make plays outside of the pocket. They all can run if they get flushed and they all have great pocket presence.
2. All 4 teams have skill position players that can and will beat 1 on 1 matchups. The play callers then exploit those matchups and when they get the matchup they want that is where the ball is going to go.
3. All 4 teams have complete offenses that are able to counter anything the defense shows them. They all can can beat you at all 3 levels and have the ability to be explosive in any of them.
4. Because of what I said in 1-3, all of the defenses are then forced to go out of their comfort zone, get spread out and play a lot of man coverage, often times with only 1 or zero safety help.
5. All 4 teams had very good offensive line play.

With respect to Iowa:

1. When we have had anything that resembles a dynamic QB, we have been very good. Banks, Tate, and CJ. Cade has shown he can do it.
2. We don't have anyone remotely resembling an edge receiver like those 4 teams have. There is nobody on the roster now that be that.
3. It has been painful the last 2 years to watch an offense so incapable of doing anything about what the defense are doing. There has been zero downfield threat, a terrible offensive line, and an immobile QB thus allowing defenses to all play us the same way: no blitz, some sort of man underneath coverage with some combination of zone coverage over the top. We know it and can't do a thing about it.
4. Defenses have dictated to us how we will play offense, not the other way around.
5. Our offensive line play has been less than poor. And that is being nice.

This was the story all season, our defense handing the offense the ball at midfield or inside the opponent's 50, and us getting no points out of it. That has nothing to do with playing smart to protect a lead, that is 100% about our HC and OC being completely inept when it comes to running an offense.

An OC, an offense, and a QB. (Now, Labas looks like he has the ability to be a good QB - not dissing him) Labas doesn't call the plays and doesn't block.
All of those are glaring faults. I think one huge miscue from the Iowa staff Is their refusal to gravitate towards and recruit a qb that can make and sustain plays with his legs. That is a huge difference that separates us from top tier teams. Every single one of those top teams have a qb who can scramble and take off down the field for 20 yards. We have pocket qbs that are slow and immobile. In today’s college football, even if you choose to have a pro-style offense, you need a qb that can run. Labas did show many qualities of a qb we have been missing yesterday and I refuse to believe that he would not have given us the best chance to win games this year had he been given the opportunity. He was not sacked once yesterday, was able to scramble, was able to get positive yardage on the ground, did not fumble, and did not have a turn over. Pretty impressive for a guy we were told was significantly behind Petras.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck285
Thank You. OhioSt played like garbage and still put up an easy 54 points. Michigan simply ran over that soft front, while not a 42-3 massacre like last year, just had well been.
Lets’s stick to trying to beat Nebraskas and Minnys, while playing South Dakota Sts in OOC. The big boys are a whole different level on defense and offense. Otherwise, KF would actually win something.
Nebraska fans don't need to reply. Go back to your board. Or don't you talk about football during bowl season?

Our defense outscored both offenses, our offense was not close to "good" yesterday.

I am probably 30 some bowl games into the post season, and still haven't seen an OLine that I would classify as worse than Iowa's.

And now we're pretty much past the 6-6/7-5 teams.

Our guys look like overweight high school kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT