ADVERTISEMENT

What the 4 have that Iowa doesn't

Me too. It's also nice to know we'll have a backup (assuming he stays) that is an upgrade over Petras and Padilla.
And what eval were BF/KF using that justified Special P and AP to be better? JL way more mobile than either, and at least as accurate. Finished with (I thi k) the highest QB rating for the year for Iowa, 120.

No. I'm sure Captain Kirk has already assured Cade that he WILL be the starter. It still and always should be an open and earned position. Labas still deserves a fair chance. I personally don't think he win win it; but, deserves a fair chance.
I am sure there will be a qb competition like the past couple of years...

• Haha
Reactions: tweeterhawk
And what eval were BF/KF using that justified Special P and AP to be better? JL way more mobile than either, and at least as accurate. Finished with (I thi k) the highest QB rating for the year for Iowa, 120.
I honestly have no idea. It's a head scratcher for sure. I'm sure the usual suspects will chime in about how "we are not at practice every day" blah blah blah.

Kirk is not infallible, despite what some posters would like us to believe

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Speed and imagination from the OC.

Defense isn’t enough anymore. If you think Iowa is going to slow down they top teams enough to win some grind out game, lol to you.

Nick Saban figured it out. Sometimes you are going to have to win shootouts. No matter how good your defense is.

The rules are heavily slanted to offense. If you don’t take advantage of that fact you are hurting yourself.

Congratulations to Dutch Meyer and his Spread offense for enabling The Horned Frogs' immensely watchable win yesterday.
With that said, when can WE go over to some iteration of the Spread?
Asking for the Worldwide Iowa Hawkeye Nation.

Reactions: littlez
Thank You. OhioSt played like garbage and still put up an easy 54 points. Michigan simply ran over that soft front, while not a 42-3 massacre like last year, just had well been.
Lets’s stick to trying to beat Nebraskas and Minnys, while playing South Dakota Sts in OOC. The big boys are a whole different level on defense and offense. Otherwise, KF would actually win something.
You must not have watched the OSU and Michigan games. We shut down osu for half the game and had like 9 turnovers and a botched fake punt so cannot put most of final score on defense. And to compare the two Michigan games is laughable. The BTCG was an absolute blood bath. This years game was hardly that.

Speed and imagination from the OC.

Defense isn’t enough anymore. If you think Iowa is going to slow down they top teams enough to win some grind out game, lol to you.

Nick Saban figured it out. Sometimes you are going to have to win shootouts. No matter how good your defense is.

The rules are heavily slanted to offense. If you don’t take advantage of that fact you are hurting yourself.
But it didn't used to be that way and it shouldn't be that way, so it would make no sense to try adapting to it.

the 4 teams that played last night didn't have a defense either.

our offense wasn't bad at all yesterday... we're up 21 points.. all we needed was to play smart... and that's what we did.. and thats why we won the game.

we're in a good spot moving forward
You have to include a sarcasm meter when you post something like this.

Obviously, the Iowa offense is one of the worst offenses in college football.

Also, there are a ton of teams that would have dominated Kentucky yesterday.

Thank You. OhioSt played like garbage and still put up an easy 54 points. Michigan simply ran over that soft front, while not a 42-3 massacre like last year, just had well been.
Lets’s stick to trying to beat Nebraskas and Minnys, while playing South Dakota Sts in OOC. The big boys are a whole different level on defense and offense. Otherwise, KF would actually win something.
Diss the offense all you want. But this defense is elite by any standard. WE have the best DC in the country. I wish Parker would tell KF he's leaving if he doesn't hire a real OC. He's tired of carrying this team on his back and letting KF get the credit for winning 8 games when he is the one that won those games with no offense to support him.

An OC, an offense, and a QB. (Now, Labas looks like he has the ability to be a good QB - not dissing him) Labas doesn't call the plays and doesn't block.

I think just pure athleticism across the board and DEPTH at every position. More times than not we have decent starters (i.e. 3 stars) who play hard, but an injury here or there and we have to resort to guys like Jack Johnson, Jackson Ritter, etc. at skill positions. In some years, Georgia or OSU's third string WRs would probably be center stage stars at Iowa. I love our defense, but if we played Georgia next week they could name their score - it would probably resemble the 54-10 beating OSU gave us...maybe worse.

You have to include a sarcasm meter when you post something like this.

Obviously, the Iowa offense is one of the worst offenses in college football.

Also, there are a ton of teams that would have dominated Kentucky yesterday.
did you support Greg Davis ?

An OC, an offense, and a QB. (Now, Labas looks like he has the ability to be a good QB - not dissing him) Labas doesn't call the plays and doesn't block.
I appreciated the win, really enjoyed seeing the Iowa defense throttle an SEC opponent, liked seeing our special teams at top form. And congratulations to Labas for an efficient game and not pooping the bed in his first collegiate start.

But it also was an ugly game from the standpoint of seeing an over-manned offensive line allow too much penetration, of seeing the same inept play-calling we witnessed all season, and realizing part of our defensive dominance was the result of playing an opponent missing several key players and particularly going against a true freshman quarterback who simply was overmatched.

In that sense it was not a rewarding game to watch.

The host committee trophy presentation was an abomination.

McNamara will be starting with Labas taking over after. I feel pretty good about the qb position for a few years. Haven't said that in awhile!
Do you think that McNamara will play 1 or 2 years? If he plays 2 that means Labas will be a SR and only start for 1 year. Do you think he will stick around for that? Did he do enough in the bowl game for him to get some offers in the portal anyway?

Do you think that McNamara will play 1 or 2 years? If he plays 2 that means Labas will be a SR and only start for 1 year. Do you think he will stick around for that? Did he do enough in the bowl game for him to get some offers in the portal anyway?
I think it depends on how Cades year goes. Is he nfl caliber after 1 year? I'm not sure. I would love Labas to stay but he definitely showed some ability. Hope he stays but Lainez? Looks the part of a future great qb from film I've seen of him.

Like a dozen more 5* players in their classes per year
5*s are pretty rare so that's a ridiculous exaggeration (GA has 2 in 23 class, OSU has 1). But way more 4*, sure. I agree Iowa should be able to get more than 1 of those

And none of this applies to TCU, their last 2 recruiting classes were ranked 45 and 54. But they don't have a proven failure running their offense and are smart enough to accept that mobility matters from a qb. They are doing this with their backup entering the season. Amazing

I liked from what little we saw from JL, but there is a lot still unknown about his game unless you are at practices.

No clue how strong an arm he has as we don't have the line to hold up for deep routes or guys on the edge who can beat anyone deep. He moved well and didn't force anything, played within himself with the lead not wanting to risk anything as the D was in total control. He did miss a few open guys but that should be expected in a guys first start.

well... you didn't support Greg Davis... that means you are anti-OC
no matter who the OC is.. you hate them

I would take Greg Davis in a New York second over the turd we have running the offense now. That is how offensive our offense is right now.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
0-9 on 3rd down, 0-2 on 4th down, barely 200 yards of offense, wasted great field position multiple times, only scored 7 offensive points. The offense was not "wasn't bad at all". It was downright pathetic and embarrassing. I'm sorry, but your take is horrible and completely wrong.

It was a nice win and I am happy about it....but the offense is a joke.

Once we got up 14-0 and especially when up 21-0. The way our defense was matched up against the struggling Kentucky offense, the ONLY way we lose, is if we go agressiveness and throw a few INTs. I think the ONLY concern on offense Kirk has at that point was "DO NOT turn the ball over". He was fine with burning only 2mins and pinning Kentucky for our defense to suffocate them.

Although it was super frustrating to watch, conservative playcalling got the comfortable W.

Would still like to have better blocking and run the ball down Kentucky's throat and chew up clock.

Oline and OC are the still the biggest concern. Unfortunately, nothing changed with that yesterday.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
Biggest difference between programs is amount of nil money with a couple and the amount of 5 star players. TCU i dont honestly know much about.

did you support Greg Davis ?
Well I support my alma mater so at the start of anyone's time coaching, then yes.

5 or 6 years is probably a good amount of time for me to decide if I want to continue to support any coach.

Davis and Ferentz have shown for multiple years to have anywhere from a below average to horrible offense.

Why do you ask?

Reactions: Bishop1971
Well I support my alma mater so at the start of anyone's time coaching, then yes.

5 or 6 years is probably a good amount of time for me to decide if I want to continue to support any coach.

Davis and Ferentz have shown for multiple years to have anywhere from a below average to horrible offense.

Why do you ask?
well.. its obvious... it doesn't matter who the OC is... you're gonna hate them

Why do you ask?
I supported gd when he got here but thought his play calling to conservative. Kok was not well liked either but his offense stats are well above what we've been getting. If i could pick anyone it would be urban Meyer. Just if i could snap my fingers for anyone. Probably not to popular a choice?

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I supported gd when he got here but thought his play calling to conservative. Kok was not well liked either but his offense stats are well above what we've been getting. If i could pick anyone it would be urban Meyer. Just if i could snap my fingers for anyone. Probably not to popular a choice?
In some alternate universe, I would have loved to see a KOK offense with a Parker defense.

Reactions: Bishop1971
well... you didn't support Greg Davis... that means you are anti-OC
no matter who the OC is.. you hate them

Well I will say again, Mary, the blame for the offense doesn't go on the three OC's that have worked under your husband but on your husband himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT