ADVERTISEMENT

What the 4 have that Iowa doesn't

Me too. It's also nice to know we'll have a backup (assuming he stays) that is an upgrade over Petras and Padilla.
Until there’s improvement up front any Qb under center is subject to getting pounded on.

Labas looked pretty good but his pass completions we’re, for the most part, 5 yard passes with major YAC’s from LaPorta and Lachey. Other than the Ragaini’s 19 yd and Vines 12 yd were there many WR’s targeted down field?

I hope McNamara has some mobility. He’ll need it.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I am probably 30 some bowl games into the post season, and still haven't seen an OLine that I would classify as worse than Iowa's.

And now we're pretty much past the 6-6/7-5 teams.

Our guys look like overweight high school kids.
This. Until the OL issues are solved, and we can effectively run and pass block, we will not improve much regardless of who plays the skill positions.

Until there’s improvement up front any Qb under center is subject to getting pounded on.

Labas looked pretty good but his pass completions we’re, for the most part, 5 yard passes with major YAC’s from LaPorta and Lachey. Other than the Ragaini’s 19 yd and Vines 12 yd were there many WR’s targeted down field?

I hope McNamara has some mobility. He’ll need it.
Well, 5 yard passes were pretty much what we had with Petras. Labas completed his, though.

Well, 5 yard passes were pretty much what we had with Petras. Labas completed his, though.
We mixed up the passes and roll outs really well to start the game. Nice play calling until we got up and went conservative. I'd rather kept the calls more aggressive the entire game but coach really wanted that win and that's how we've always played. Get a lead, go conservative. I hate seeing the defense on the field to much.

Once we got up 14-0 and especially when up 21-0. The way our defense was matched up against the struggling Kentucky offense, the ONLY way we lose, is if we go agressiveness and throw a few INTs. I think the ONLY concern on offense Kirk has at that point was "DO NOT turn the ball over". He was fine with burning only 2mins and pinning Kentucky for our defense to suffocate them.

Although it was super frustrating to watch, conservative playcalling got the comfortable W.

Would still like to have better blocking and run the ball down Kentucky's throat and chew up clock.

Oline and OC are the still the biggest concern. Unfortunately, nothing changed with that yesterday.

We may not like his style but that game was won exactly how Kirk wants a game to play out.

Reactions: littlez
Well I will say again, Mary, the blame for the offense doesn't go on the three OC's that have worked under your husband but on your husband himself.
Can i ask what the Mary thing is? Is that in reference to kfs wife? Just curious. No issues with anything here.

well... you're gonna hate the next coach and the next OC the same
just wondering if you all would ever admit it
Well if the next OC is worse than BF he won’t be liked. If it’s even possible to have an offense that bad. Just like how BF was worse the Davis who was worse than KOK.

Maybe with McNamara, All, Lachey, the rbs and wrs plus Anderson we'll have a really good offense next year.

An OC, an offense, and a QB. (Now, Labas looks like he has the ability to be a good QB - not dissing him) Labas doesn't call the plays and doesn't block.
If Iowa had even an average offense it would be a major step forward. A few third conversions would be nice. Now it is a ball control offense without the ball control.

Thank You. OhioSt played like garbage and still put up an easy 54 points. Michigan simply ran over that soft front, while not a 42-3 massacre like last year, just had well been.
Lets’s stick to trying to beat Nebraskas and Minnys, while playing South Dakota Sts in OOC. The big boys are a whole different level on defense and offense. Otherwise, KF would actually win something.
Iowa's defense is worlds better than TCU's and also better than Ohio States. What are you even talking about? The big boys defenses are not a whole different level than Iowa's

Iowa's defense is worlds better than TCU's and also better than Ohio States. What are you even talking about? The big boys defenses are not a whole different level than Iowa's
Definitely agree with you. Iowa's offense led to so many osu points. Not our defense being outclassed.

Reactions: amahawk
Keep the blinders close by. You’ll need them again next year if the O-lines play improves as much as it did from last year to this year.

I can see your point though. Labas’ 58.3% completion rate is significantly better than Petra’s’ 55.7%.

Last edited:
If Iowa had even an average offense it would be a major step forward. A few third conversions would be nice. Now it is a ball control offense without the ball control.
Yesterday ‘A’ 3rd down conversion would’ve been progress. For all the good that some saw in Labas there were zero 3rd down conversions in the game for Iowa

Reactions: littlez and amahawk
well... you're gonna hate the next coach and the next OC the same
just wondering if you all would ever admit it

Are you one of CM's multiple personalities? Even he believes Brian should go. And I don't hate your hubby-quite the contrary.

Can i ask what the Mary thing is? Is that in reference to kfs wife? Just curious. No issues with anything here.

Yeah. F5N5 is a Ferentz family member. No one who didn't have an emotional attachment to Kirk and Brian would make a statement like "the offense was fine" or "the passing game is fine."

Distressing to see our OLine, a traditional strength, being this consistently inadequate.
Try scrapping the archaic, ineffective, offensive scheme.
I dont know if the scheme is archaic but the oline is definitely missing assignments. I've heard more straight ahead blocking might suit them but i almost feel like making them play our dline in live scrimmage over and over and over. I know, injuries etc but we need something. This spring and summer maybe read to them some of our posts for motivation, lol. Just something to get them over the hump.

Iowa defense's was amazing in the 1st half. The inability of the offense to move the ball and not turn it over was why it looked so bad.
We only gave up 26 the first half -- that was amazing. Time of possession was nearly equal, OSU only ran 3 more plays than Iowa. Iowa had a good Big Ten defense -- Other than Ohio State and Michigan, the other offenses in the Big Ten were average at best and the non-conference didn't exactly blow the doors off.

I dont know if the scheme is archaic but the oline is definitely missing assignments. I've heard more straight ahead blocking might suit them but i almost feel like making them play our dline in live scrimmage over and over and over. I know, injuries etc but we need something. This spring and summer maybe read to them some of our posts for motivation, lol. Just something to get them over the hump.
Next year is huge for this program and Kirk and Brian’s so called legacy. Kirk is pretty secure as with his over 20 years as head coach. Not going to re-hash how bad our o line, QB and receivers play was again. McNamara is a huge improvement. Anderson a good start at receiver. A little small but he’s put up numbers. Michigan tight end (assuming healthy) will give us versatility at that position with Lachey.
Now comes the big problem. Chicken or the egg. Bad players on the line? Scheme? Which is it? Don’t think we can just expect these same guys to come back and be “better” next year. We were manhandled every single game up front this year. We’ve proven we’re an anomaly the way we play. Time of possession means nothing to us. We went 8-5 with a historically bad offense. Changes have to be made. Can Kirk and Brian make them? Are they willing? I sure hope so. Go Hawks.

the 4 teams that played last night didn't have a defense either.

our offense wasn't bad at all yesterday... we're up 21 points.. all we needed was to play smart... and that's what we did.. and thats why we won the game.

we're in a good spot moving forward
Lol, the offense scored a TD, you are a cyclone fan trolling hawkeyes

1. All 4 quarterbacks are able to routinely make plays outside of the pocket. They all can run if they get flushed and they all have great pocket presence.
2. All 4 teams have skill position players that can and will beat 1 on 1 matchups. The play callers then exploit those matchups and when they get the matchup they want that is where the ball is going to go.
3. All 4 teams have complete offenses that are able to counter anything the defense shows them. They all can can beat you at all 3 levels and have the ability to be explosive in any of them.
4. Because of what I said in 1-3, all of the defenses are then forced to go out of their comfort zone, get spread out and play a lot of man coverage, often times with only 1 or zero safety help.
5. All 4 teams had very good offensive line play.

With respect to Iowa:

1. When we have had anything that resembles a dynamic QB, we have been very good. Banks, Tate, and CJ. Cade has shown he can do it.
2. We don't have anyone remotely resembling an edge receiver like those 4 teams have. There is nobody on the roster now that be that.
3. It has been painful the last 2 years to watch an offense so incapable of doing anything about what the defense are doing. There has been zero downfield threat, a terrible offensive line, and an immobile QB thus allowing defenses to all play us the same way: no blitz, some sort of man underneath coverage with some combination of zone coverage over the top. We know it and can't do a thing about it.
4. Defenses have dictated to us how we will play offense, not the other way around.
5. Our offensive line play has been less than poor. And that is being nice.
^^^^
This. Drop the mic.

Wonderful read with insightful analysis. Thx!

Oh, OK, so that is why Iowa is 130th in offense out of 131 teams. 129 of them have 30-40 4&5* players. Got it.
learn to read!! question was “ what do the 4 playoff teams have that Iowa doesn’t. so are you questioning my facts or just being a negative JERK?

Yeah. F5N5 is a Ferentz family member. No one who didn't have an emotional attachment to Kirk and Brian would make a statement like "the offense was fine" or "the passing game is fine."
And no one who actually knows Mary Ferentz would make comments like this. It is obviously your choice to speak out against anyone, I'm not here to argue, I am not a "Ferentz family member" and I too, would like to see staff changes. I've also known the woman for many years.

And no one who actually knows Mary Ferentz would make comments like this. It is obviously your choice to speak out against anyone, I'm not here to argue, I am not a "Ferentz family member" and I too, would like to see staff changes. I've also known the woman for many years.

Got it, Tyler. Happy new year!

learn to read!! question was “ what do the 4 playoff teams have that Iowa doesn’t. so are you questioning my facts or just being a negative JERK?
That would be incorrect. TCU doesn't have that kind of recruiting.

the 4 teams that played last night didn't have a defense either.

our offense wasn't bad at all yesterday... we're up 21 points.. all we needed was to play smart... and that's what we did.. and thats why we won the game.

we're in a good spot moving forward
Kentucky wasn't close to the same team they had all season long. Don't read too much into whatever successes you think we had.

what the 4 have that Iowa doesn't.............an offense. Iowa will never have an offense as long as kirk is allowed a say in it

that would be incorrect. in the last 5 years they have had 37 total and the last four years 33.
Please provide your source. I looked at their recruitment rankings for the last several years and they rank about 30th.

ADVERTISEMENT