ADVERTISEMENT

What the heck happened in Grinnell?

Yeah, but hasn't everybody known forever that most rednecks are rural creatures? I was just under the impression that they were fewer and more reasonable the further north you went.
One would hope, but from my younger years hanging out at some small town parties, some of them scared the living sh!t out of me. Lol

Had no idea there were black people in Grinnell.

Black people actually attend Grinnel College. Its called integration bro. Happened in the 60s.

For christs sake, the ignorance that persists on this board

It’s interesting to me that the conversation on this board from MAGA posters has centered around whether Iowa has a lot of confederate flags or whether this should be termed a possible lynching.

It’s interesting to me that the conversation on this board from MAGA posters has centered around whether Iowa has a lot of confederate flags or whether this should be termed a possible lynching.
It’s interesting to me that the conversation on this board from liberals is that it was a racist maga committing a hate crime.... with zero details of anything.

I have FB friends from Grinnell who posted about it. Apparently there are people going around town bragging about it and the word is that hate crime is probably the motivation. Investigation needs to take place, obviously, and the facts will need to come out, but the people who are from there say the inference in the article is probably more correct than not.

They don't need confed flags with their trump flags and hats.....same thing. Now they want old glory to represent what stars and bars did

Would rural Iowa really be worse than, say, rural Missouri or Nebraska?

I guess I've been in rural Nebraska enough and can't remember seeing a confederate flag. But I haven't seen one in rural Iowa either. Just once on a pickup at a stripclub.

I am from NW Iowa, but have been gone for nearly 30 years. I still get home at least 5-6 times/year. The wife (no pic) has family at Lake of the Ozarks. The only difference between the people is the accent.

Reactions: 1flyer
I am from NW Iowa, but have been gone for nearly 30 years. I still get home at least 5-6 times/year. The wife (no pic) has family at Lake of the Ozarks. The only difference between the people is the accent.
Broadbrushing people is always a good thing. Weird you still go back if they are all evil racist MAGAs as you imply.

Broadbrushing people is always a good thing. Weird you still go back if they are all evil racist MAGAs as you imply.

I never said everyone was evil or racist, but the elements are definitely present and some people aren't shy about sharing their thoughts about it. I go back there because I have family and friends there. Pro-tip, you don't have to agree with everyone on every subject.

I have FB friends from Grinnell who posted about it. Apparently there are people going around town bragging about it and the word is that hate crime is probably the motivation. Investigation needs to take place, obviously, and the facts will need to come out, but the people who are from there say the inference in the article is probably more correct than not.

There are people in Grinnell actually boasting about the murder?

They seem smart.

Steve-King-Confederate-Flag.png

I’m also from NW Iowa. I’ve dated girls who’s parents had a problem with me but I wouldn’t say I see stars and bars a whole lot at all.

Reactions: jasonrann
I’m also from NW Iowa. I’ve dated girls who’s parents had a problem with me but I wouldn’t say I see stars and bars a whole lot at all.

My dad was one of the finest human beings I have ever known, would give the shirt off his back for anyone. That said, he was also quick to make an off color comment at times that would make me a little uncomfortable.

My dad was one of the finest human beings I have ever known, would give the shirt off his back for anyone. That said, he was also quick to make an off color comment at times that would make me a little uncomfortable.
And thankfully actions speak louder than words. At least they used to. My Dad was similar.

And thankfully actions speak louder than words. At least they used to. My Dad was similar.

I think many of us can state the same about our fathers. What's encouraging is how far we've come in our generation. Obviously, we aren't as far along as most of us want to be. But you can't eliminate racism overnight. It takes time.

Reactions: jasonrann
"GRINNELL, Iowa — UPDATE: According to the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation, four people have been arrested and charged for the roles they are accused of holding in the murder of Grinnell man Michael Williams.

Investigators say Steven Vogel, 31, was already in custody in the Marshall County Jail. He is now charged with murder and abuse of a corpse.

Three more have been arrested and charged with abuse of a corpse."

https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/inv...eath-of-grinnell-man-found-burning-in-a-ditch

"GRINNELL, Iowa — UPDATE: According to the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation, four people have been arrested and charged for the roles they are accused of holding in the murder of Grinnell man Michael Williams.

Investigators say Steven Vogel, 31, was already in custody in the Marshall County Jail. He is now charged with murder and abuse of a corpse.

https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/inv...eath-of-grinnell-man-found-burning-in-a-ditch

Those 50 something year olds in custody appear to have lived a rough life. Is there a chance that methamphetamine is involved in this murder case? The suspects appear to fit the profile IMO.

they look appropriate for the crime

Reactions: anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
Those photos are what you'd expect. I imagine law enforcement doesn't want to inflame, so at this point, they'll downplay any race/hate crime connection.

Definitely redneck material, tho.

Reactions: anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt

Charge them with a hate crime. They will all burn in hell.

Did the police release what they Actually did to this poor gentleman? All I have read is they burned him and supposedly lynched him. Man this is bad news for Iowa

It sounds like the Steven guy killed him. The older couple helped dispose of the body, and the Cody guy tried to help Steven dispose of the body but failed. Steven said he strangled him. Steven and the deceased apparently were longtime acquaintances.

A hate crime, just like they thought.

Lots of meth in Jasper County, Iowa.

I live in a Jasper County, Honestly don’t know if there is lots of meth or not, In regard to this case the body was dumped in a Jasper County, The victim and all of the accused were from Grinnell, The murder happened in Grinnell which is in Poweshiek County.

ADVERTISEMENT