ADVERTISEMENT

What type of really old shit do you have?

I don't use it, obviously, but I have a can of Hawkeye Gold I found at my grandparent's basement.
il_794xN.4408017757_5odf.jpg

Non working pocket watch probably 1880. A bunch of silver coins from 1881. A double barrel shotgun from 1920

I still have my Eddie Bauer Ebtek fleece from 1993 I still wear all the time. I have a bunch of old sports cards. Got a hay bailer thing from a long time ago. Have an old WWI watch.

I have my Grandfathers hunting jacket I used when pheasant hunting. Made in Waterloo, it is a Hinson BodyGuard size 46 Regular. Not sure how old it is but I have a picture of my Grandfather wearing it while hunting with my Dad from 1948 when Dad was 18 in South Dakota. A group of 12 with 40 pheasants.

Sadly, I don't hunt pheasant anymore. Lost privileges, bird count went to shit.

It’s not nonsensical, but I have a 1913 Ford Model T. It runs and I’ve driven it a few times, but it mostly sits in storage. It was my Dad’s, who bought from a friend. Turns out, it’s the exact same car this friend and him used to drive around as kids in Hancock, IA in the 50’s. The used to tear around town in it.

im torn between leaving it as is, or putting some money into and fixing it up. I’m not sure if it’s worth more in its original condition or if it’s updated.
Personally I’m a big fan of modified cutdown bucket type hot rod model Ts. My wife’s uncle had one and it was such an overpowered lightweight street rod that it frankly scared the hell out of me when he’d take me out for a ride in it. Tossed around like a rag doll was an understatement. Looked a lot like these below. I have no idea how much money he poured into the project but he loved that car like nothing else.

image.jpg

main-qimg-f4bdda60c5214831215aceb77f8f4afe-lq

Oldster CSB. I was wearing a down vest while doing crap outside today that has served me well since circa 1980. Plenty of my clothes are 10 plus years old. I used my Milwaukee drill purchased circa 1985 last week.
I get a lot of pleasure from some pottery pieces that my old man produced back in the ‘60s and am currently resting my feet on the mahogany bench Pops made around the time I was born.
We still use the North Face sleeping bags we bought in the early ‘80s. The Kenwood turntable from the ‘70s is still spinning vinyl.

That reminds me that I do have an old Coleman’s cooler from the 70’s. A few years ago I had it out with beers in in for a party and one of the neighbors was going on and on about what a classic it was. And I was just thinking, “it’s just my cooler…”

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
It’s not nonsensical, but I have a 1913 Ford Model T. It runs and I’ve driven it a few times, but it mostly sits in storage. It was my Dad’s, who bought from a friend. Turns out, it’s the exact same car this friend and him used to drive around as kids in Hancock, IA in the 50’s. The used to tear around town in it.

im torn between leaving it as is, or putting some money into and fixing it up. I’m not sure if it’s worth more in its original condition or if it’s updated.
Personally I’m a big fan of modified cutdown bucket type hot rod model Ts. My wife’s uncle had one and it was such an overpowered lightweight street rod that it frankly scared the hell out of me when he’d take me out for a ride in it. Tossed around like a rag doll was an understatement. Looked a lot like these below. I have no idea how much money he poured into the project but he loved that car like nothing else.
main-qimg-f4bdda60c5214831215aceb77f8f4afe-lq

image.jpg

Oldster CSB. I was wearing a down vest while doing crap outside today that has served me well since circa 1980. Plenty of my clothes are 10 plus years old. I used my Milwaukee drill purchased circa 1985 last week.
I get a lot of pleasure from some pottery pieces that my old man produced back in the ‘60s and am currently resting my feet on the mahogany bench Pops made around the time I was born.
We still use the North Face sleeping bags we bought in the early ‘80s. The Kenwood turntable from the ‘70s is still spinning vinyl.
Your comment about old clothes reminded me that I still own and use almost daily in the deep winter the coat my FIL owned and wore when he worked building the transalasaka pipeline back in the 1970s, so this coat is pushing close to 50 years old.

Every season I stitch shut any tears or holes that have appeared and I wear it to honor him and his memory as he passed away over 30 years ago when my wife and I were only 3 years into our marriage. Great guy but I didn’t really get enough time to become as close to him as I should have. I couldn’t bear to toss it away now.

I own lots of stuff that's older, but I thought these would be appropriate given the weather.

I own two of these 1973 Ariens, used one of them yesterday (started on the 2nd pull). One I restored myself and looks brand new. The other is my "daily driver" and looks like it gets used but also looks fantastic for nearly 50 years old. Both work perfect.

I'm betting both outlive me. They simply don't make snowblowers like these any more.

ariens1-jpg.155969

Next, been listening to one of these all day today. From 1970, Kenwood KR-7070, their top of the line receiver from that year. Sounds fantastic, mine's in equally fantastic condition.

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of those and it’s fantastic. Works ten times better than those electric pieces of shit.

All kids in my class gravitate to the electric ones. I try to tell them they suck and to use the actual sharpener. After sitting there for a minute or two, they realize I am right. Instead of admitting they were wrong AND/OR being too lazy to make their hand rotate, they sit down and tell me my electric sharpener sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: win4jj
Lets see:
1. Mantle clock my grandparents owned, about 125 yrs old and still works.
2. Owl cookie jar and salt and pepper shakers, about 80-100 yrs old.
3. Sold oak dining table and 8 chairs my grandparents owned. Rumor the kids were all born on it and animals were butchered on it. Don't worry, my father refinished it.
4. 25 yr old 2 stage snowblower.
5. My dad's Remington 1100 shotgun from 1964. Killed a lot of pheasants and ducks.
6. Dads pocket watch from 1936
7. My Erector set from Christmas 1959
8. My wood rocker I used when I was 3-7 years old
9. Several different size cast iron skillets I use from the 50's my mother used.
10. Single shot 12 Guage Damascus barrel shotgun that my dad used as a teenager 1930's

Mom sold a lot of stuff to a dealer before I spoke for it

Last edited:
I have a few items from my grandfather. He enjoyed collecting and making guns.
Oldest is a a flintlock rifle that is from approximately 1850. I also have a Japanese rifle and a blade that was originally a sword. He acquired the last two items in WWII.
He had upwards of 40 collectors guns at the time of his passing.

I have a legit old cast iron pan, handed down from my in-laws. I think it’s from the 60s. Pretty sure my piano is as old. But the oldest thing is a small desk my father in law used as a kid and my wife did as well. So, that was 1942 or so.

A chest and dresser that came from Pennsylvania when the Amanas were settled

A grandfather clock, wooden 3d mural picture idk what to call it, and steins from Germany all pre 1960 and not sure how much older

A ton of early 70's Topps football cards

Reactions: mthawkeyes
My no pic wife isn’t feeling so good. So, my mother in law just asks if she has a fever. I say not really, but we haven’t actually checked. She breaks out a thermometer. Not digital, not one you put in the ear or use the forehead. She breaks out an old school mercury stick. I feel like I went back to the 80’s. So, what type of really old nonsensical shit do you have and still use?
I have my Trek Antelope bike from college. Bought in 1990. I have replaced the gears and brakes. Still looks good and dig the nifty totally 90s paint job:

5-BFBA59-C-0802-4684-AC7-E-592-A55-AA5-BF6.jpg

I have my Grandfathers hunting jacket I used when pheasant hunting. Made in Waterloo, it is a Hinson BodyGuard size 46 Regular. Not sure how old it is but I have a picture of my Grandfather wearing it while hunting with my Dad from 1948 when Dad was 18 in South Dakota. A group of 12 with 40 pheasants.

Sadly, I don't hunt pheasant anymore. Lost privileges, bird count went to shit.
I have my grandpa’s flannel hunting cap with ear flaps. Probably from the late 40s as well. Looks good on me!

AA05-B0-E4-028-C-4687-B27-A-C268-F1-FAC13-A.jpg

My no pic wife isn’t feeling so good. So, my mother in law just asks if she has a fever. I say not really, but we haven’t actually checked. She breaks out a thermometer. Not digital, not one you put in the ear or use the forehead. She breaks out an old school mercury stick. I feel like I went back to the 80’s. So, what type of really old nonsensical shit do you have and still use?
Hopefully it didn’t double as a butt thermometer.

Reactions: runkpanole
Wasn’t Billy beer named after Billy Carter? Jimmy Carter’s brother. It was a terrible tasting beer
What I briefly read said that Carter endorsed it.

You must have been thinking of a different beer because it appears Billy Beer is amazing. The website even says so, I took a screenshot:
Screenshot-20221224-090722-Chrome.jpg

What I briefly read said that Carter endorsed it.

You must have been thinking of a different beer because it appears Billy Beer is amazing. The website even says so, I took a screenshot:
Screenshot-20221224-090722-Chrome.jpg
The original Billy Beer was sold /marketed?? by Jimmy’s brother Billy in the ‘70s. He was kinda the laughable, beer drinking redneckish brother.
It was several rungs below Old Milwaukee as far as taste or drinkability.

My parents were very cheap. Mom bought a couple of 12.packs. My dad tried one and refused to drink any more. That’s how bad it was. Worst beer I ever tried. We would shake them up and shoot them with a pellet gun to watch them explode

• Haha
Reactions: billanole
Omg 80s really old? Darn I'm old. Thanks runk.

A lot of stuff today was built to fail. To me it makes sense to own stuff that was built to last. I prefer mid century style anyway.

This is what makes me so angry. Copy machines today piss me off more than anything. They break all the time because every part is junky plastic.

But it's planned obsolescence and it's everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT