ADVERTISEMENT

What was the worst experience in Basic Training/Boot Camp for you?

Wife and I went down to Fort Knox in 2002 for my youngest boy's graduation. While we were there a D.I. made some recruit drop and do a shyt load of push ups for something he did. The bad part- It was with his parents standing right there.

*waiting for Full Metal Jacket quotes and/or scenes*

I was the joker of our group, and even though our DI made me choke myself with his hand the first day of basic, I think he liked me best, so this isn’t about me. We had this real tub of lard who couldn’t do anything right, though. F***ing guy smuggled donuts back to the barracks and kept them in his footlocker. So DI finds them and makes US do PT while the guy, let’s call him Gomer Pyle, gets to stand there eating his donuts. Long story short, after that and a bunch of other acts unbecoming of a Marine, my buddies Cowboy, Snowball, and the rest of the guys gave Gomer a blanket party. Felt bad for the guy, truly. So that was the worst experience I’ve ever seen another guy undergo.

Also he ended up killing our DI and then himself, but we were off to Vietnam where we were haggling over prices with Saigon whores and getting our cameras stolen by karate fighting motorcycle riding locals almost immediately after, so you know.

First thing when we rolled up on the bus is we get swarmed and have to listen to, memorize and repeat an oath to a DI screaming at us.
But, it was made tougher, because two other soldiers step up and are talking directly into each ear.
The one on the left is saying encouraging things like 'you can do it, concentrate, etc'.
The one on the right is saying discouraging things like 'give up, you'll never make it, you don't want to be here, etc.'
Very intense.

I was the joker of our group, and even though our DI made me choke myself with his hand the first day of basic, I think he liked me best, so this isn’t about me. We had this real tub of lard who couldn’t do anything right, though. F***ing guy smuggled donuts back to the barracks and kept them in his footlocker. So DI finds them and makes US do PT while the guy, let’s call him Gomer Pyle, gets to stand there eating his donuts. Long story short, after that and a bunch of other acts unbecoming of a Marine, my buddies Cowboy, Snowball, and the rest of the guys gave Gomer a blanket party. Felt bad for the guy, truly. So that was the worst experience I’ve ever seen another guy undergo.

Also he ended up killing our DI and then himself, but we were off to Vietnam where we were haggling over prices with Saigon whores and getting our cameras stolen by karate fighting motorcycle riding locals almost immediately after, so you know.
Did not disappoint.

SpottedEducatedArmyworm-small.gif

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Arrived to Quantico as a dipsh*t 19 year old with no clue how anything worked. First night after being abused all day, was sent to bed with my contacts still in. I was scared sh*tless to leave my rack and get my lenses out and cleaned that I left them on the top of the locker. Never wore contacts again.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I had to finish OSUT, last two weeks (including final PT test) with two broken ribs and recovering from a separated shoulder both of which happened during our last field problem.

We were doing a React To Contact drill. Basically two opposing squads in the same area running into each and reacting. We ran into the other squad while angling away from them. I was in fire team B, and we were to the right of the other squad, so we got an order to swing right and flank them. Fire team leader pointed where he wanted us and we moved out.

I evidently swung a bit too far right. As I was moving, running really, I went to kind of jump over a log while ducking under a tree limb...nothing was on the other side. I fell about 25 feet into a river bed. I did a modified PLF, but when I rolled, I hit a fairly large rock, which did most of the damage. I just kind of laid there for a minute, then got up and tried to figure out my predicament.

Ended up getting evac'd, but came back to the field later that day. Yeah, the rest of OSUT sucked something fierce.

When I reported on a Sunday, I arrived a little early so I could kind of check out the place. No sooner had I found my bunk than the head cook came in and asked me if I wanted to "volunteer" for KP. He explained that it would only be for half a day, and that I would then have met my obligation to do KP for a day once during the whole program. I did not like the sound of this, but took him at his word and happily kept this secret to myself ... that I had gotten a 2 for 1 on my KP obligation.

I was actually shocked when about two weeks into the training I showed up on the KP roster. I quickly went to our Platoon Sergeant to correct the mistake. He broke out laughing at my situation, and of course kept me on the roster.

Otherwise, it was the regimen ... running everywhere, and then doing training runs ... Our Platoon Sergeant told us on the last day that we had run more than any of his other platoons to that point, and that we would find Ranger School easy after our particular basic.

The upside was that it actually hurt my lungs to smoke. I quit smoking on about day #2 and never looked back.

Arrived to Quantico as a dipsh*t 19 year old with no clue how anything worked. First night after being abused all day, was sent to bed with my contacts still in. I was scared sh*tless to leave my rack and get my lenses out and cleaned that I left them on the top of the locker. Never wore contacts again.

Dry eyes from sleeping in contacts is the worst experience you could think of? Good story, Cruiser.

First jump. On the first day of live week we were offered the choice of hooking or passing and jumping the next day. Rule was if you hook, you jump. Period. I hooked. I changed my mind when I got to the door and attempted to diplomatically beg off jumping. 2 seconds later I found out what "Period" meant. As I hurtled out the door with a size 14 boot imprint on my backside, amidst the panic, I remember thinking the jumpmaster was clearly under appreciated for his "diplomatic" skills.

First jump. On the first day of live week we were offered the choice of hooking or passing and jumping the next day. Rule was if you hook, you jump. Period. I hooked. I changed my mind when I got to the door and attempted to diplomatically beg off jumping. 2 seconds later I found out what "Period" meant. As I hurtled out the door with a size 14 boot imprint on my backside, amidst the panic, I remember thinking the jumpmaster was clearly under appreciated for his "diplomatic" skills.

Why am I not surprised you were a giant pussy and didn’t want to jump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT