ADVERTISEMENT

What will Biden do?

Not throwing gas onto every fire would just by itself be a huge improvement.

Also, Biden is a bridge builder. He wants to work with the Republicans. The real question is, will they let him?
Pelosi has thrown gas onto everything, also. You are good at pointing out things on one side and not admitting them about your own. The Democrats have not been willing to work with Trump at all. Trump has been as combative as Pelosi and I wish he would lessen his rhetoric. I don't think it helps him and is certainly an indication of his thin skin and ego. If Trump is elected, I do think Pelosi needs to go.

Pelosi has thrown gas onto everything, also. You are good at pointing out things on one side and not admitting them about your own. The Democrats have not been willing to work with Trump at all. Trump has been as combative as Pelosi and I wish he would lessen his rhetoric. I don't think it helps him and is certainly an indication of his thin skin and ego. If Trump is elected, I do think Pelosi needs to go.
Pelosi is already gone. That was part of the agreement to serve as Speaker. And the claim that the Dems under her leadership have refused to try and work with the GOP is bullshit.

You have a good point, and I mostly agree. I have no use for McConnell. Where we differ is that I don't think compromise is always a good thing. Sometimes no action is better than a bad compromise.

Finance, I agree. It is important to stand by one's principles. Where Mitch (and Nancy at times, to be fair), falls short is that he refuses to compromise AT ALL.

For me, the biggest improvement he will make is putting thoughtful, smart people who believe that government can and should be in the problem solving business back as cabinet members, ambassadors, top level bureaucrats, etc.

Like an EPA chief that wants to address climate change. A Sec of Education that believes in public education. An attorney general that believes in the rule of law. All those will make an immediate and much needed difference.

We need to restore faith and confidence in our institutions and governing infrastructure.
"The primary functions of the Department of Education are to "establish policy for, administer and coordinate most federal assistance to education, collect data on US schools, and to enforce federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights."" - So basically for public education you want the national government to things they weren't chartered to do
[/QUOTE]

Titan, it doesn't happen often but I agree 100% with your post. If nothing else, having qualified people in the various cabinet positions will be a vast improvement.

From the council on foreign relations.

Both as a senator and as vice president, Biden has been deeply engaged in shaping U.S. diplomacy and military policy across the Middle East. As a candidate, he is running on his experience dealing with Iraq, Israel, Syria, Iran, and others in the region.

• Biden has been a strong supporter of Israel throughout his political career, calling himself a Zionist. He says his commitment to Israel’s security is “ironclad” and that, while he promises to place “constant pressure” on Israel to resolve its conflicts, he would not withhold aid.
  • He told CFR he backs a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestinian conflict, which he says Trump’s unilateral approach has made more difficult. He supports keeping the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem after Trump moved it there in 2018.
  • He also says Israel must stop settlement activity in the occupied territories and provide more aid to Gaza, and that Palestinian leaders should stop the “glorification of violence.” He calls on Arab states to normalize relations with Israel. He says he does not support Israeli government plans to annex the West Bank, arguing such a move would “choke off any hope for peace.”
  • He criticizes the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which seeks to put economic pressure on Israel, and says it “veers into anti-Semitism,” and that he would oppose any BDS efforts in Congress.
  • He calls Iran a “destabilizing” force in the region and told CFR it must never be allowed to develop nuclear weapons.
  • He calls Trump’s approach to Iran a “self-inflicted disaster”, arguing that his withdrawal from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal has failed to keep Tehran from advancing its nuclear program. Biden pledges to rejoin the agreement if Iran returns to compliance.
  • He says that Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani, who was killed by a U.S. air strike in January 2020, deserved justice for his role in attacks on U.S. troops, but that Trump’s decision to target him was an “enormous escalation” made without any plan for the likely consequences. He says Trump has no authority to undertake war with Iran without congressional approval.
  • He condemns Trump’s withdrawal of U.S. troops from northern Syria, which he calls a betrayal of the Kurds and “the most shameful thing any president has done in modern history in terms of foreign policy.” He says Turkey “must pay a heavy price” for its military campaign in Syrian Kurdish territory.
  • He says he is “very concerned” about the United States keeping nuclear weapons in Turkey, and proposes stronger support for the domestic opposition to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. As vice president, Biden publicly apologized to Erdogan for suggesting Turkey supported the Islamic State.
  • As vice president, he was skeptical of committing U.S. troops to Syria, arguing that any significant use of force would have had unpredictable consequences. In 2018, he called Syria one of the United States’ “biggest conundrums.”
  • He has long been deeply involved in Iraq policy. As a senator, he supported President George W. Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq, but opposed the 2007 surge of additional troops. Instead, Biden proposed partitioning Iraq into three self-governing regions. As vice president, he oversaw the 2011 withdrawal of the remaining 150,000 U.S. troops and then the return of U.S. forces to fight the Islamic State in 2014.
  • He told CFR he wants a “reassessment” of U.S. support for Saudi Arabia in the wake of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi-led war in Yemen, and domestic human rights violations.
  • Though the Obama administration backed the Saudi war in Yemen, Biden says Washington should end its involvement in the “unwinnable conflict.” He also says he would stop arms sales to the kingdom and treat Riyadh like a “pariah” on the world stage.
  • He has long been critical of Saudi Arabia. In 2014, he blamed the country and its Sunni allies for allowing resources to flow to the Islamic State.
"He has long been"...47 years long. Unfortunately for him, and America - his years are behind him...and he's lost about 60 of the 100 marbles all of us are issued when we're born. That is not a crime, nor is it a criticism. It's not uncommon. But he is a candidate for President of the United States, not the head of the shuffleboard competition committee at Shady Acres Rest Home.
Those who have propped him up as the Anyone But Trump candidate are not America First patriots. But that's not the focus, is it? This board is a little nest of slimy vipers whether acknowledged or not. Others are simply useful idiots.

This is a crossroads for the United States of America. I deeply fear for my grandchildren.

"He has long been"...47 years long. Unfortunately for hTrump, and America - his years are behind him...and he's lost about 60 of the 100 marbles all of us are issued when we're born. That is not a crime, nor is it a criticism. It's not uncommon. But he is a candidate for President of the United States, not the head of the shuffleboard competition committee at Mar-A-Lago.
Those who have propped him up as the "Never Democrat" candidate are not America First patriots. But that's not the focus, is it? This board is a little nest of slimy vipers whether acknowledged or not. Others are simply useful idiots.

This is a crossroads for the United States of America. I deeply fear for my grandchildren. (we all do)

Man, Woman, Person, Camera, TV

I think the reason most outside the MAGA cult find them insane is their complete lack of self awareness and ability to hold a mirror up to their own worldview. Anyway, read your post again with a few minor edits.

"He has long been"...47 years long. Unfortunately for him, and America - his years are behind him...and he's lost about 60 of the 100 marbles all of us are issued when we're born. That is not a crime, nor is it a criticism. It's not uncommon. But he is a candidate for President of the United States, not the head of the shuffleboard competition committee at Shady Acres Rest Home.
Those who have propped him up as the Anyone But Trump candidate are not America First patriots. But that's not the focus, is it? This board is a little nest of slimy vipers whether acknowledged or not. Others are simply useful idiots.

This is a crossroads for the United States of America. I deeply fear for my grandchildren.

If you hadn't already lost 90 of your 100 marbles you'd see how Trump is more intellectually limited than Biden. AINEC.

The POTUS generally sets policies and makes high level decisions.

A few posts have addressed what Biden might do. A few have just posted opinion pieces. It really seems a lot of people really only care that Biden isn't Trump. While that's a valid reason to vote for Biden, I really am interested in what he will actually do, supported by something tangible that he's said recently.
Disagree, and I was looking to see how long it took for you to redirect in the thread. You cannot ignore the four years of the destruction of shared norms and institutional values. You cannot ignore the gross incompetence, and placing people in charge of agencies they either detest, or spent a lifetime being paid as lobbyists to oppose. We should have a Secretary of Education who has had a least one job in their life before assuming an agency that handles billions of dollars and impacts so many lives. It will be enough to have someone in charge who can read and write above the 4th grade level, and who isn't morally bankrupt to the point that every decision they make is viewed through the prism of how does it benefit me? It is important that other countries respect us again, and view us as a stable, reliable partner.
That is something specific. Having anyone besides Donald Trump in the WH is a win right now. Valuing competence and having ethics in government will be important. We have to restore those things.
Specifics, I think Biden will push for infrastructure and climate change initiatives. I believe him when he says that is the biggest threat to the US, and the world right now. The US can lead instead of clinging to a dying coal industry. I believe he will be personally involved in choosing judges instead of handing off that task to Jerry Falwell Jr and a right wing think tank. I think he is going to push to balance our tax structure. Hint, at some point we are going to collapse under debt, or we are going to pay more taxes. That's a gift from DJT.
Competence and a lack of corruption up and down the Executive Branch will be enough for me, though.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
One thing I know about Republicans is that they hate losers. After McCain and Romney lost, they dumped them. Same for Palin. She is a nobody now. I imagine the Rs will attach themself to the next strongest voice and let him take over the party. In all honesty don't be surprised if Gym tries taking over after Trump is gone.
Gym?

It mainly depends on whether the Senate goes blue and, if so, whether the Senate Dems go nuclear.

Without both of those, Biden's ability to make needed change is handcuffed. Unless he's willing to declare a national emergency.

Without those, and if he doesn't declare a national emergency, he governs by EO and shifts limited money around to tackle the most critical needs. He'll have better people. So things will improve. But there's only so much he can do

Put good government officials around him. People who actually believe in the value of their respective department. That’s enough for me.

As far as legislation, he won’t be able to do much unless the Senate flips.

For me, the biggest improvement he will make is putting thoughtful, smart people who believe that government can and should be in the problem solving business back as cabinet members, ambassadors, top level bureaucrats, etc.

Like an EPA chief that wants to address climate change. A Sec of Education that believes in public education. An attorney general that believes in the rule of law. All those will make an immediate and much needed difference.

We need to restore faith and confidence in our institutions and governing infrastructure.

This. If I don't read another post, this is what I want. Experts in their related areas, not dumbass family members and corporate CEOs with ginormous conflicts of interest in their areas.

A few posts have addressed what Biden might do. A few have just posted opinion pieces. It really seems a lot of people really only care that Biden isn't Trump. While that's a valid reason to vote for Biden, I really am interested in what he will actually do, supported by something tangible that he's said recently.

I always appreciate your posts, man. I have to ask, isn't the highlighted part somewhat important? Trump is an a-hole, a narcissist and an adulterer that doesn't care about the military. On top of that, he isn't fiscally conservative by any standard. Why would you want four more years of it?

I have said many times I will hold my nose voting for Biden, but Trump is so repugnant, the White House will have to be cleaned, disinfected and deloused after he is gone.

There is no doubt in my mind that Biden will surround himself with the best people, that is enough for me.

You honestly think Trump will be better for your grandchildren?

The guy who promotes racism and violence? The guy whose policies are making global warming worse? The guy who can't figure out how to marshal America's vast resources to combat COVID? The guy who denies science and promotes lies?

This is the guy you think is good for your grandchildren?

He won't halt fracking. He has said he would block new drilling/mining/fracking on public lands, but not that he would interfere with existing operations - even those recently permitted by Trump's destruction of established, sound environmental protections. [Side note: if Biden wins, expect a flood of last-minute approvals of drilling/pipeline/etc. permits and a rush to break ground.]

Pretty sure he used to be for the TPP. So I expect he'll move the US to join that.

After defending his position on bankruptcy in the debates, it's reported he is now on board with Warren's accurate criticisms. But will he support reform? Ditto on private prisons and related bad policies he previously supported.

He has improved his green program, but it depends too much on corporate and state funding, so will it ever get off the ground, and how much compromising will he do on the corporate side?

Big Money and corporate media influences in elections need to be reined in, but is Biden the guy to do it - when he is seriously beholden to Big Money and the corporate media for his status as the Dem nominee?

Our courts need a dramatic infusion of pro rights, equal rights, environment-friendly judges and justices. Is Biden the guy to nominate them, or will he nominate more pro corporation judges?

If we assume Biden wins, what will he do as POTUS to make things better? I'm asking for actual policies, and I'm not interested in any conversations related to Trump. I really am interested in positive changes that would should anticipate, and how Biden will accomplish them.

I would really hope Biden will untangle us from the Middle East, but I've seen no evidence that's on his mind.

Biden's website isn't much help. His main focus seems to be on COVID, education, healthcare, and immigration. Mostly theory and not much tangible there.
Untangle us from the middle east? Hell we are the middle east :(

Why, is one of them an attractive teenage girl, and Trump has lurked around her at Mar A Lago?

Donald Trump may as well be shitting into his hand and rubbing it on his face right now in this town hall. I think you guys are going to be surprised when Biden is more than up to the task of handling Strokahontas.

"herd mentality"

Not throwing gas onto every fire would just by itself be a huge improvement.

Also, Biden is a bridge builder. He wants to work with the Republicans. The real question is, will they let him?
It's not much of a question for those of us that remember the Obama years

Oh, your grandchildren are screwed but you boomers got yours and left the world a shithole so not your problem.....right? Just remember as you are doing your righty duty and blaming it all on Dems that three of those fingers are pointing back at you. The supposed greatest generation spawned the most worthless one.....weird. Keep voting for climate deniers, your grandchildren will fix it I'm sure

Last edited:

Blah, Blah, Blah,,,our people are better than your people, blah, blah, blah.

We have over regulated, lets try shrinking the government.

Disagree, and I was looking to see how long it took for you to redirect in the thread. You cannot ignore the four years of the destruction of shared norms and institutional values. You cannot ignore the gross incompetence, and placing people in charge of agencies they either detest, or spent a lifetime being paid as lobbyists to oppose. We should have a Secretary of Education who has had a least one job in their life before assuming an agency that handles billions of dollars and impacts so many lives. It will be enough to have someone in charge who can read and write above the 4th grade level, and who isn't morally bankrupt to the point that every decision they make is viewed through the prism of how does it benefit me? It is important that other countries respect us again, and view us as a stable, reliable partner.
That is something specific. Having anyone besides Donald Trump in the WH is a win right now. Valuing competence and having ethics in government will be important. We have to restore those things.
Specifics, I think Biden will push for infrastructure and climate change initiatives. I believe him when he says that is the biggest threat to the US, and the world right now. The US can lead instead of clinging to a dying coal industry. I believe he will be personally involved in choosing judges instead of handing off that task to Jerry Falwell Jr and a right wing think tank. I think he is going to push to balance our tax structure. Hint, at some point we are going to collapse under debt, or we are going to pay more taxes. That's a gift from DJT.
Competence and a lack of corruption up and down the Executive Branch will be enough for me, though.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Trump Sucks, blah, blah, trump sucks. What is Biden going to do?

Biden will cover his ass just like all other career politicians that get rich off the American taxpayers. He has been in politics for the better parts of 5 decades, he has nothing new to bring to the table and the middle class will pay the price.

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef
If Trump loses I think the majority of the GOP in Congress will immediately distance themselves from Trump. Whether or not that means they will try to be a positive force for the country is another question, but other than the "true believes" and new Qanon folks, most will want to put the memory of Trump far behind them; so that won't be an obstacle.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: papabeef and unIowa
If we assume Biden wins, what will he do as POTUS to make things better? I'm asking for actual policies, and I'm not interested in any conversations related to Trump. I really am interested in positive changes that would should anticipate, and how Biden will accomplish them.

I would really hope Biden will untangle us from the Middle East, but I've seen no evidence that's on his mind.

Biden's website isn't much help. His main focus seems to be on COVID, education, healthcare, and immigration. Mostly theory and not much tangible there.

Biden winning would create two positive changes:

1. Trump has put us in a place where we have lost our leadership standing as a world power among the other nations of the world. My foreign friends keep asking me "whats wrong with America", it is embarrassing. I think we start to get back a bit of that world standing.
2. Biden will not pit American against American via troll tweets like Trump does today. It may seem like I am picking on Trump here, and I am bc he deserves it, but this is a bid deal. The temperature in America needs to be cooled and frankly Trump is just a guy who turns up the heat.
3. Trump loses and the entire R party will have to go through a enormous re-branding and platform change and that will likely be beneficial as I don't think they will double down on Trump style of politicking. Sure some of his loyal MAGA politicians will go kicking and screaming over the next 10 years (people like Kim Reynolds) but there will be others who sided with him that I think the American public will hold accountable. Through that I think a new, younger, and rebranded group of R politicians will come out of that much like we have seen in the D party recently with their youth movement...personally I think we see a shift back towards the country club republican (Trump is the racist republican who happens to own a country club) who are clean cut, highly educated, and focused on actual fiscal constraints and limited govt.

Policy wise I do worry about Biden as I think raising taxes in a economy that is still a bit on its knees isn't a good idea economically and will slow job recovery. A large percentage of democrats want to raise taxes on the wealthy as more of a "we got you ****ers" vs smart economic policy. At the same time democrats will be clamoring for more big govt programs which won't help matters as well, as a combo of tax increases (which won't likely result in a lot more govt revenue during a time of high unemployment) and spending increases will balloon federal deficits faster than even Trump did (maybe, Trump loves deficits and his followers don't seem to care about them at all bc Trump is the one putting them up...god people are stupid).

We will likely stay in the ME with our military which is a losing proposition IMO. We will likely get softer on trade deals as this seems to be one area where Trump did ok compared to previous presidents.

Biden won't be a good POTUS, I am not sure things are set up for anyone to do a good job over the next 4 years, however we will at least get a bit of leadership shine back on the US seal.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Trump Sucks, blah, blah, trump sucks. What is Biden going to do?

Not be as big of an embarrassment to the American public on the national and world stage. We reelect Trump and China has the ammo it needs to further discredit the USD as the worlds reserve currency, we lose that and we are all effed.

A big part of that standing is confidence in how the US is being run, another 4 years of Trump and we just might lose it bc America will have 4 more years of chaos at the top.

Reactions: papabeef and torbee
It's not hard to introduce bills that have no chance of passage...
That's the issue with the Senate right now, anything passed by the House will not be considered. Thus the languishing recovery stimulus that is sorely needed for the economy. The Republicans can't even get themselves aligned. It's a cluster on that side of Congress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT