ADVERTISEMENT

What would shock you more? Lee winning or Downey winning?

Feb 25, 2015
I can see an upset at 25 only if Lee starts out slow, focuses on holding position and getting a td in first period. If he goes all out,like he did against Oklahoma State, I would think Nato would have the edge as I don’t see Lee turning him. Downey, unless he gets a Hail Mary pin, ain’t beating Martin, who is a clear number one in my book (sorry Bo, u ain’t beat em) I see Iowa winning at 49,57, 65, and possibly at 25 if Lee uses his brains against NATO and slows down the match. The only other weight,Iowa may win is 41, if McKenna is hurt.

Neither would necessarily shock me, I would probably be happier about the Lee win, but more impressed by the Downey win (only due to the fact that it would be his first match of the season against the clear #2 guy at this point). Either way, both would be great wins against NCAA champs.

I can see an upset at 25 only if Lee starts out slow, focuses on holding position and getting a td in first period. If he goes all out,like he did against Oklahoma State, I would think Nato would have the edge as I don’t see Lee turning him. Downey, unless he gets a Hail Mary pin, ain’t beating Martin, who is a clear number one in my book (sorry Bo, u ain’t beat em) I see Iowa winning at 49,57, 65, and possibly at 25 if Lee uses his brains against NATO and slows down the match. The only other weight,Iowa may win is 41, if McKenna is hurt.
I'd be more surprised if Downey beat Martin. Martin is wrestling lights out and has really filled in at 184 this year. Very tough match to start out your season with.

So we are to believe that in the next couple of days:
1. Downey ruled eligible
2. Downey wins wrestle-off at 184 or 197
3. Downey sent out on mat against Martin, an undefeated (and tough) wrestler in his first match

The above scenario does not seem likely. If no wrestle-off, how do you sit the other wrestler down and explain why you are giving away his spot to a Twitter-happy latecomer. I like Downey's chances this year, but hard to see it happening this weekend. Am I off base?

1. Downey ruled eligible
3. Downey sent out on mat against Martin, an undefeated (and tough) wrestler in his first match

The above scenario does not seem likely. If no wrestle-off, how do you sit the other wrestler down and explain why you are giving away his spot to a Twitter-happy latecomer. I like Downey's chances this year, but hard to see it happening this weekend. Am I off base?

You give the spot because you have been watching the room for the last 2 months similar to giving Marinelli the spot coming off injury

I thought Downey cannot practice with the team, if so, then this is not comparable to the situation with Marinelli. No question in my mind he would win wrestle-off at either weight, but the other wrestlers might object. A proper wrestle-off might be warranted. In any case, I hope the drama ends soon and they get the guy on the mat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twoooooooo
I thought Downey cannot practice with the team, if so, then this is not comparable to the situation with Marinelli. No question in my mind he would win wrestle-off at either weight, but the other wrestlers might object. A proper wrestle-off might be warranted. In any case, I hope the drama ends soon and they get the guy on the mat.
Good points, but from what I hear he has been rolling with the HWC.

Reactions: Dagboi and HKI
1. Downey ruled eligible

It's not like Downey hasn't been practicing or just blew into town last Friday. You put the best wrestler on the mat. Simple.

C'mon..........man...........

You know Brands just flips a coin to see who goes...............

And why would there be? They wouldn't put someone in the match notes who isn't on the team.

Well it was mentioned by some that he would become a member of the team once the term starts. Do you think he will be a member of the team at any point or do you think the waiver request will be denied?

Well it was mentioned by some that he would become a member of the team once the term starts. Do you think he will be a member of the team at any point or do you think the waiver request will be denied?

I can only guess but my guess here is that he ends up on the team. My posts in this thread are a tad tongue in cheek on that specific subject. However, there will be an official announcement when it happens. He's not going to show up on any communication from the U of I until then.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk and HKI
Sounds like Kwoodhawk....but no emoji's. Is this like the real or fake PD2, or fake Spyker? Fake Kwoodhawk? Someone steal his login? I'm confused....:confused:

1361200639263487_animate.gif

Reactions: Dagboi and Gebmo
Ths weekend.
Why? Unless he hasn't been officially cleared to wrestle by the U of I why wouldn't we see him? The season is half-way over ... Second semester classes have started ... No reason for him to ride the pine unless he officially is not going to wrestle for the U of I.

Reactions: Dagboi
Why? Unless he hasn't been officially cleared to wrestle by the U of I why wouldn't we see him? The season is half-way over ... Second semester classes have started ... No reason for him to ride the pine unless he officially is not going to wrestle for the U of I.

Probably because it's already close of business Wednesday and it doesn't appear he's been cleared to wrestle.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT