ADVERTISEMENT

What would the narrative be if we were winning 60-55 (i.e. defense sucked massively)?

Hwk-I-St8

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2009
Lower Slobovia
I don't think we'd be a national topic of discussion if we'd done the exact opposite of what's happened so far. Imagine the exact same record, vs the same opponents, but instead of the defense/ST winning the games it was the offense and special teams and our defense was the worst ranked in the country.

I don't think it would get anywhere near the attention. We'd probably be reading about hour high-flying offense and how potent they were with a few comments about where we'd be if our defense was better. The vitriol wouldn't be there though (IMO).

The sport, fans, media etc are all offense junkies. It seems people really struggle with winning a 10-6 game but have no problems with a 55-49 game.

Thoughts?

I don't think we'd be a national topic of discussion if we'd done the exact opposite of what's happened so far. Imagine the exact same record, vs the same opponents, but instead of the defense/ST winning the games it was the offense and special teams and our defense was the worst ranked in the country.

I don't think it would get anywhere near the attention. We'd probably be reading about hour high-flying offense and how potent they were with a few comments about where we'd be if our defense was better. The vitriol wouldn't be there though (IMO).

The sport, fans, media etc are all offense junkies. It seems people really struggle with winning a 10-6 game but have no problems with a 55-49 game.

Thoughts?
Are you describing Fran's teams?

UNC is 9-1 and ranked 13. They allow over 31 points per game which is ranked 109.
Tennessee allows 22 points per game which ranks 39.

That’s why Sagarins has UNC ranked at 36th and the schedule at 60th! Our fans would whine and bitch about “not playing” anyone!

Reactions: pistachio1999
Good point, OP.

I think part of it is how opposite the offense is (statistic-wise, etc.) compared to the defense/ST. If the offense was in the 70-80 range, I doubt we would be hearing anything about it

When one third of a football team is the worst in the country at its task, it will be the subject of well-deserved ridicule, whether it be offense, defense, or special teams.

If Iowa were beating Michigan and Ohio State 60-55, I think most of us could live with that. But beating the likes of South Dakota State with a pair of safeties and a FG . . .

This. We’d be putting up points and winning. That’s what matters

Thoughts?
I believe if Iowa was 6-4 and had losses of 40-44, 35-38, 45-50, 42-49 this website would be going bonkers with fire the defensive staff starting with the DC. I also believe the national media would be talking about it, even if the O was averaging 45 points per game and the D was allowing 35. The theme would be: if we only had an average defense and we feel bad for the great offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
Personally, I would want the DC coordinator fired if that was the case.

What some posters on this board seem to not understand, is that it is OK to have both a good offense, and a good defense. They are not mutually exclusive. And it is ok to criticize one of the worst offenses in college football, even when the team wins.

Personally, I would want the DC coordinator fired if that was the case.

What some posters on this board seem to not understand, is that it is OK to have both a good offense, and a good defense. They are not mutually exclusive. And it is ok to criticize one of the worst offenses in college football, even when the team wins.
Thank you. These hypotheticals and strawmen (not necessarily the OP, but posts ITT from those that see themselves as smarter/better fans) are such wasted time. They’re trying to play “gotcha”, but the answer is the same regardless of the situation.

I’m a fan of Iowa football. I want the Iowa Hawkeyes football team to be as good as they can possibly be. The offense is keeping that from happening. Therefore, I would like to see things change and problems solved on offense so the Iowa Hawkeyes football team can be as good as possible.

As for the specific question posed in the OP, a big part of the reason we’re talked about so much this year is because we vaulted to #2 last year, and all of the debate about us being a playoff team centered around whether or not the offense was playoff worthy. We were embarrassed three times (Purdue, Wisconsin and Michigan) after the big PSU win, and the general consensus was “If they fix the offense, they could be DAMN good, but the OC is the head coach’s SON?!?!”.

Well, we did nothing of note to fix anything, so we went into this season with a bullseye on our back. It’s not a media love affair with offense, it’s the fact that the offense is directed by Kirk’s son. If Brian was the DC in the OP’s hypothetical, the chatter would be mostly the same.

I interpret the attention as respect. The CFB media space wouldn’t talk if we weren’t relevant. This doesn’t happen if we were a G5 school, or even a lower level P5 program. We’ve won a lot of games behind our defense with the offense pitching in, but it’s now to the point that the offense is an anchor that keeps getting heavier.

So, in my opinion (as someone who considers themselves dialed in to the national media narratives on CFB), the chatter this year isn’t because of offense vs. defense. It’s because of nepotism and the refusal to change.

It's not like this sucky offense is a one year thing, most fan's just want an offense that some what compliments the D. No excuse for being last or close to last in total offense, changes need to be made next year.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Wh

Thoughts?
What exactly are we winning now ? The awful, punchless, void of talent, West Division. An occasional toilet bowl ?

Thoughts?
It would keep us awake. Had better make some changes. Will not be facing bad offenses all the time in the years coming.

Another scenario related to OP's question is what would the narrative be if Iowa had a goodish offense (ranked around #55 instead of #130) and very good defense (ranked around #15 instead of #3) this year but still had the same W-L record with the difference (compared to current facts) being that we lost say 31-17 (osu), 21-14 (Michigan), 21-20 (IL) and 20-17 (ISU). This is hypothetical but not unrealistic -- for instance (and this is only one mechanism) if the staff had moved Cooper to QB in the offseason and installed a offense suited to his abilities; of course losing his prowess (and quality depth) on D.

So more balanced O and D but same record. Does it matter?

Hope OP does not mind piggybacking this query on his thread.

Thoughts?
That's because casual fans and gamblers tune in to see points, not 10-6 games. Commissioners have realized ratings are boosted with higher scoring games and change rules to help with that. This goes for basketball, baseball, football, etc.

Another scenario related to OP's question is what would the narrative be if Iowa had a goodish offense (ranked around #55 instead of #130) and very good defense (ranked around #15 instead of #3) this year but still had the same W-L record with the difference (compared to current facts) being that we lost say 31-17 (osu), 21-14 (Michigan), 21-20 (IL) and 20-17 (ISU). This is hypothetical but not unrealistic -- for instance (and this is only one mechanism) if the staff had moved Cooper to QB in the offseason and installed a offense suited to his abilities; of course losing his prowess (and quality depth) on D.

So more balanced O and D but same record. Does it matter?

Hope OP does not mind piggybacking this query on his thread.

Personally, I think this is the likeliest of scenarios, in a new regime. Or even worse!

It depends on the definition of “winning.”
We are 10-8 since the PSU game last year, and three of those wins have come the last 3 weeks.

I don’t expect Iowa to win every game, national titles or even B1G titles. I would expect when one side of the ball is so glaringly deficient that the coach/AD/ANYONE would address it. They doubled down on Petras (who I like and think takes too much crap) and BF (he also takes a lot of crap for being a Hawk through and through) and it didn’t work.

Assuming we go 8-4, win the west, and get crushed in Indy to go 8-5… is that a good year for a team with a top 5 Defense, a Groza semifinalist at K and an All-B1G punter? That has a 3 year starter at QB?
I would expect more, but that’s just me.

ADVERTISEMENT