ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do? Property line dispute

Neighbor suggested a survey so she got a survey.

He didn't pay for the survey, he's not paying for the fence, sounds like he can stfu.

If he wants to do his own survey, she should tell him he has 10 days until she builds her fence.

As for the tree, that's tough, I'd hate to take it out, but it's on her land so it's her tree now. Wonder if it would survive a move to the inside of her fence about 10 feet over.

Last edited:
I think I would confirm that line again and then build a fence right up to it. She tried to be reasonable. Too late now.

FAFO example #4317

Actual line shown about 1/3 way into video. Doh!

Hi neighbor. Option 1, you pay for half the fence and I put it down the line I originally planned

Option 2: you continue to be a dick and I put my new fence on the actual property line and sue you over your driveway, which appears to be in my yard.

• Love
Reactions: torbee
Neighbor suggested a survey so she got a survey.

He didn't pay for the survey, he's not paying for the fence, sounds like he can stfu.

If he wants to do his own survey, she should tell him he has 10 days until she builds her fence.

As for the tree, that's tough, I'd hate to take it out, but it's on her land so it's her tree now. Wonder if it would survive a move to the inside of her fence about 10 feet over.
Mostly agree but the tree issue is likely moot, for the fence. Ordinances likely do not allow a fence to extend beyond the front of the house like that, or so close to the road in what is likely an easement granted to the City. Looking at that power box in the distance, there could also very well be buried lines impacting where a fence could be built. With that being said, I would build the fence to the maximum area permitted by local ordinance, easements, practical realities, and the boundary line.

Hi neighbor. Option 1, you pay for half the fence and I put it down the line I originally planned

Option 2: you continue to be a dick and I put my new fence on the actual property line and sue you over your driveway, which appears to be in my yard.
Sounds like they're way past option 1. Plus that land prob worth way more than half the fence.

I had a neighbor that bitched about a property line back when we lived on an acreage.

One day we came back from being out of town and there's a row of orange flags along the property.
Needless to say, I was pissed.
On a fricken acreage????
We eventually moved after we retired, but our relationship with the neighbor went south IN A HURRY.

I had a neighbor that bitched about a property line back when we lived on an acreage.

One day we came back from being out of town and there's a row of orange flags along the property.
Needless to say, I was pissed.
On a fricken acreage????
We eventually moved after we retired, but our relationship with the neighbor went south IN A HURRY.
I mean, there are acreages and then there are acreages, and there are neighbors and then there are neighbors. How many acres are we talking? Were you driving ATVs on their property?

His front yard (garage/driveway) abuts her backyard? That sucks for him… would hate to have a nasty fence in front of my house.

I mean, there are acreages and then there are acreages, and there are neighbors and then there are neighbors. How many acres are we talking? Were you driving ATVs on their property?
He felt I was mowing 3' onto his property.

MOWING!
We stopped talking to each other the day the flags went up.

Reactions: Tenacious E
His front yard (garage/driveway) abuts her backyard? That sucks for him… would hate to have a nasty fence in front of my house.
I have no idea what is going on there. We can't see her garage and her house is either built on an angle on her lot, or it is irregular shaped. It looks like it might also be a corner lot with that stop sign in the background. No idea what is her side yard versus her back yard, which of course matters most places in where you can put a fence.

Reactions: afmiller
He felt I was mowing 3' onto his property.

MOWING!
We stopped talking to each other the day the flags went up.
To borrow a popular phrase these days for neighbors like that:

Weird GIF

Reactions: MitchLL
I have no idea what is going on there. We can't see her garage and her house is either built on an angle on her lot, or it is irregular shaped. It looks like it might also be a corner lot with that stop sign in the background. No idea what is her side yard versus her back yard, which of course matters most places in where you can put a fence.
Found this. It’s an odd setup. It is the back of both houses per video on left.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Years ago built a fence around my back yard. Got with both neighbors and agreed on the property lines. All was good.

One day my neighbor got drunk and ran his van thru my fence. Then he started saying that it was on his property etc. He even said it was supposed to be six feet inside my property line.

Needless to say he paid for my fence repair.

Years ago built a fence around my back yard. Got with both neighbors and agreed on the property lines. All was good.

One day my neighbor got drunk and ran his van thru my fence. Then he started saying that it was on his property etc. He even said it was supposed to be six feet inside my property line.

Needless to say he paid for my fence repair.
cops on the scene for destruction of property and a dui would sort that out.

Reactions: torbee
I think I would confirm that line again and then build a fence right up to it. She tried to be reasonable. Too late now.

FAFO example #4317

Actual line shown about 1/3 way into video. Doh!

I saw this as well. She pays taxes on that property, she paid for that property, it is her property. Since he chose to be a dick about it now he can find out. A simple, "I think the property line is here, so let's get the city in to survey this so we can find out for sure" would have avoided a lot of problems.

Reactions: goldmom
I saw this as well. She pays taxes on that property, she paid for that property, it is her property. Since he chose to be a dick about it now he can find out. A simple, "I think the property line is here, so let's get the city in to survey this so we can find out for sure" would have avoided a lot of problems.
When she bought the house and got her closing package there should have been a survey included. And she likely has a title insurance policy too.
So does the neighbor. He’s either uninformed or he’s a complete jerk. Maybe both.

I'm currently involved as an expert witness in a boundary dispute.

Several issues here and frankly we don't have:
1) Full photos and maps
2) History (is there Adverse Possession here)
3) Surveys can be wrong and both sides can have conflicting surveys
4) Those stakes weren't official boundary markers. They should have been set and recorded.
5) We don't know the ordinances and rules for that neighborhood for fences.

If you don't work this out:
1) Attorneys will be the winners
2) Both will ruin their health
3) District/Circuit Courts aren't called Circus Court for nothing.

Something is off as almost always you can't build a house that close to the property line.

When she bought the house and got her closing package there should have been a survey included. And she likely has a title insurance policy too.
So does the neighbor. He’s either uninformed or he’s a complete jerk. Maybe both.
Wouldn't be surprised if a survey was done and he pulled the stakes before they got the keys.

When we bought in 2023, when we got the keys, the survey stakes were in the ground when we pulled up.

Since it’s the back yard, I’d probably go ahead and build on the line.

I wonder if any adverse possession issues come into play here.

Mostly agree but the tree issue is likely moot, for the fence. Ordinances likely do not allow a fence to extend beyond the front of the house like that, or so close to the road in what is likely an easement granted to the City. Looking at that power box in the distance, there could also very well be buried lines impacting where a fence could be built. With that being said, I would build the fence to the maximum area permitted by local ordinance, easements, practical realities, and the boundary line.
Good observations. This looks like it’s in Florida by the landscaping and trees so it’s likely also in an HOA. Pre-approval by HOA is needed and you’re right about the fence setbacks not to come past the front of the house.
With the utility box in the back she should also be required to get a location service (Sunshine811) to mark where lines are.
Finally the neighbor should be notified to move that tree anyway. Poor location too close to the driveway and house is a world of problems as soon as 10 years down the road - ie roots under the driveway- very common here in Florida.
He can pay for his OWN survey or look at the one he got at his closing - probably for the first time - but I understand why he’d hate having that fence so close to his driveway. But that property line was there on the day he decided to buy his house.
Buyer beware!

While if he would of just met with her to begin with he could of avoided all of this and now he's hosed.

But also, I hate people airing their dirty laundry on social media plate forms. Grow up lady.

IMG-0685.jpg

Screenshot of GIS (not jiz)
As I was saying, that is the most jacked up miserable lot I have seen. Looks like the whole development was designed so that no one would have space to do anything outside that is enjoyable in their own yards. Gross. I'd rather rent or have a starter home in an older house with a bigger lot than that, with an idea of upgrading down the road.

Reactions: torbee and goldmom
Since it’s the back yard, I’d probably go ahead and build on the line.

I wonder if any adverse possession issues come into play here.
It depends on which state this is in but I think it’s in Florida if you go by the palm trees. If she so much as walks on that part of her yard she is actively exercising her possession so it’s likely not a provable condition on this guy’s part.

While if he would of just met with her to begin with he could of avoided all of this and now he's hosed.

But also, I hate people airing their dirty laundry on social media plate forms. Grow up lady.
But although you have a point, this is where we are today.

Reactions: beanerhawk
find the recorded plan, pull the metes and bounds, locate the survey monuments on site

this isn't an ownership dispute with lots established in frontier days when property lines were drawn from rocks and streambanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT