ADVERTISEMENT

What's on the grill/smoker/other for the holiday weekend?

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
It's supposed to rain all weekend here, but still going to do some cooking. I think gumbo and bbq crabs on Sunday for the game. A couple of videos for smoked shotgun shells have popped up lately--looks interesting

Reactions: The Tradition
Mom wants me to cook up 3 racks of ribs when we go up to tahoe. All they have is a propane grill up there. Can't remember the last time I cooked ribs on anything other than a smoker.

It's supposed to rain all weekend here, but still going to do some cooking. I think gumbo and bbq crabs on Sunday for the game. A couple of videos for smoked shotgun shells have popped up lately--looks interesting

I’m doing steelhead trout filets with a dry rub of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning, Old Bay, garlic powder, fresh ground tellicherry pepper and long pepper plus a little Spice Island curry powder. Then I’m doing a low and slow cook in my vertical pellet smoker with my personal seafood mix of pellets which is half “apple mash” (which is itself half maple wood and half dehydrated apple fruit), a quarter plum wood and a quarter black cherry wood.

For the appetizer, I’m breaking out my little Japanese konro grill and some real binchotan charcoal and doing both some chicken thigh yakitori skewers using my own homemade aged tare and doing curry dusted sea scallop skewers which after being cooked will be dropped in bowls of fennel and apple broth (apple cider, apple cider vinegar and fresh chopped Granny Smith apples and fennel bulbs reduced with some shallots). I’m also doing some oven roasted asparagus as a side.

Mom wants me to cook up 3 racks of ribs when we go up to tahoe. All they have is a propane grill up there. Can't remember the last time I cooked ribs on anything other than a smoker.

I usually cook ribs on my vertical pellet smoker because it’s incredibly easy to get great results. But with a little luck and a meat thermometer, doing Pork Ribs (and even better…lamb or goat ribs) on a charcoal or gas grill Rendezvous style gives you even Better results. It’s more “active” cooking and you have to pay closer attention, but I prefer them to low and slow smoked ribs.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Elephant Stew

1 Elephant (medium size) 2 Rabbits (optional)
Salt & Pepper and Brown Gravy

Cut elephant into small bite size pieces. This will take
about 2 months. Add brown gravy and cook over a
kerosene fire about 4 weeks at 450 degrees.

This will serve about 3,800 people. If more are expected
the 2 rabbits may be added. Do this only if necessary as
most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

I did that a couple of weeks ago and they were great. I only wanted to smoke a couple of them, so I made a whole box and put the rest of the prepped ones in the freezer so I can throw some on the smoker whenever it's called for.

I have a nice angus picanha chilling in the fridge. Not sure what day I'll be cooking it. Really tempted to slice a steak off for dinner tonight.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Elephant Stew

1 Elephant (medium size) 2 Rabbits (optional)
Salt & Pepper and Brown Gravy

Cut elephant into small bite size pieces. This will take
about 2 months. Add brown gravy and cook over a
kerosene fire about 4 weeks at 450 degrees.

This will serve about 3,800 people. If more are expected
the 2 rabbits may be added. Do this only if necessary as
most people do not like to find hare in their stew.
Thanks, Lute.

I think I’m going to go seafood this weekend. I had a wonderful piece of red snapper with mole amarillo for lunch today. Think I’m going to go snapper, crabs, shrimp and assorted shellfish then figure out prep

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I think I’m going to go seafood this weekend. I had a wonderful piece of red snapper with mole amarillo for lunch today. Think I’m going to go snapper, crabs, shrimp and assorted shellfish then figure out prep

When you started the thread you were doing shotgun shells.

Hmmm.... now that I think about it... cheesy crab-stuffed shotgun shells might be pretty awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT