ADVERTISEMENT

What's on the 'Rona menu this weekend?

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
Temps in H-town are going to be in the 90's this weekend. Wishing we had put a pool in because the community pool & splash pad is still closed. I just ordered a couple of inflatable pools and 2 cases of White Claw to white trash it up in the backyard.....looking for inspiration on the grill/smoker.

Can you still get meat for the bbq? As of yesterday reports here are that everyone - even Costco - is out of meat.

Temps in H-town are going to be in the 90's this weekend. Wishing we had put a pool in because the community pool & splash pad is still closed. I just ordered a couple of inflatable pools and 2 cases of White Claw to white trash it up in the backyard.....looking for inspiration on the grill/smoker.

switch over to High Noon, brutha!

Reactions: Rudolph
Can you still get meat for the bbq? As of yesterday reports here are that everyone - even Costco - is out of meat.

My instacart order this morning brought all the meat we needed. In one instance they had to substitute the organic beef instead of the regular stuff, but that's it.

My instacart order this morning brought all the meat we needed. In one instance they had to substitute the organic beef instead of the regular stuff, but that's it.

We have meat the next week, though nothing good for smoking. Hopefully next time we go there we find the reports are overblown. We can't stock up because we don't have a freezer and apparently none will be available until late summer or fall.

We haven't had any problems getting meat. HEB has a limit, but we good. Also, the farmer's market has some high-end meat.

thinking some steaks. Have a lot in the freezer thanks to butcher box.

Brined some pork loins. Made an ancho chile-garlic oil to rub for searing then basting it while it roasts. Gonna be pork loin meals for a few days.

Reactions: McLovin32
Four Roses bourbon
Whatever beers I fill in the growlers at Brass Tap this evening

Probably will cook some chicken at some point, I know I have some wings, thighs, and legs in the freezer. All of them as they should be, with skin and bones included.

Gonna start a crock pot of heavily Black Forest bacon infused crowder peas in the a.m., cast iron cornbread sticks, Mac n Cheese, and over easy eggs to top off a bowl of peas. That is midday Saturday offerings.
The weather is chilly here and the fare is in keeping with that thought.
Smash burgers tonight on the iron skillet and in keeping with a suggestion from @SeaPA I think we will pop open a bottle of Four Roses.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I just ordered a couple of inflatable pools and 2 cases of White Claw to white trash it up in the backyard....
09e40a2ce052bafb73447c79f7e39dc9.jpg

When you're ready for an upgrade on those pools: https://housely.com/20-cool-shipping-container-pools/

Just got back from grocery shopping. Went to both a Jewel and my favorite butcher in Chicago area and both did not have any shortages as far as I could tell. The butcher sells prime meats and he said business has been booming and of course supply is practically unlimited since there is limited restaurant demand.

Next three days: burgers, ribs, and Texas style smoked brisket. It’s going to be a carnivore’s dream.

ps. Plenty of toilet paper in stock for first time.

85 and sunny in STL. Bone-in Prime rib on the Weber Summit Charcoal with baked potatoes and salad, and a bourbon aficionado friend of mine sent me a blind tasting sample of 5 bourbons that are either allocated, barrel picks, or never to be found in the wild.
It’s going to be glorious.

Reactions: billanole
Tonight, I'm doing an artichoke, bacon, and cream cheese stuffed chicken breast. I'll roll it in bread crumbs, brown the outside, and finish in the oven. I'm still debating what sauce to put with it.
Tomorrow is St. Louis style ribs. I'll start the sauce today and finish it tomorrow. Fennel-apple slaw and haricot vert.
Sunday will be almond & rosemary crusted rack of lamb with sherry demi, maybe stone ground mustard. Grilled asparagus and a light salad.

Yesterday I made buffalo chicken sandwiches. Tonight doing salmon on the grill with balsamic tomatoes and red onion.

Tomorrow will grill some strip steaks. Sunday will be smoking a pork butt and a turkey breast. Maybe some ribs too, depending how stupid I get.

Typed this up just now for a chef friend of mine from my chef days, figured might as well update this thread with it…

I made maybe the best pork loin of my life this evening. Brine included a bunch of garlic cloves, five or six chile de arbol, some sliced ginger. Brined for 48 hours. Took the pork outta the brine and rinsed, reserved the solids from the brine. Toasted some guajillo peppers. Removed quajillos from cast iron, added a bunch of olive oil. Softened the solids from the brine in the oil, adding the toasted guajillos, chopped up. Let it cook a bit, removed, let cool, then mini cuisinart they went. So I made a garlic-ginger-chile oil. Put the loin, salted and peppered, in hot oil, browning all sides. Then into a 425 oven, basted first with the garlic-ginger-chile oil, turning & basting every 10 minutes. While those loins were in the oven I made a gravy. Into the big cast iron that I browned the loins in I added rough chopped onion, cooking the onion in the remaining oil and rendered fat from the loins. Deglazed with chicken stock and white wine and a touch of bourbon, because I was sipping bourbon. Wait, forgot. Before deglazing I added some tart cherry preserves and some brown sugar, let that cook down a bit, then deglazed. Removed, let cool, then into the cuisinart that went. Then made a roux and returned that blended pan-dripping-onion-cherry sauce into the roux for a deep, sweet gravy with a touch of heat to it.

The pork was sliced, served with some leftover mashed sweet potatoes (has caramelized onions and poblano peppers in it), creamed kale also leftover, spooned gravy over it, then a drizzle of the garlic-ginger-chile oil over it all.

Crazy thing is that after eating this I returned to the kitchen to clean up. The oven pan with the remaining loin (I cooked two full loins) still had its drippings to consider. So I added the drippings to the garlic-ginger-chile oil and puréed. That oil is now even more ridiculous.

/csb

Just picked up a pork belly

You going to cure and make bacon? Killen's bbq by my house (top 5 in Texas) used to have smoked pork belly on its regular menu, but it didn't sell well. So he brings it back in the winter and tops the chili with it...add a tamale...boom

Gonna drink some rum and Crooks (same thing as White Claw but way more flavor) and do the weekly zoom video chat.

Last week my friend had too many and passed out while on video. As you can see, he was light out but kept a hold of his beer.
Screenshot-20200501-190652-Gallery.jpg

You going to cure and make bacon? Killen's bbq by my house (top 5 in Texas) used to have smoked pork belly on its regular menu, but it didn't sell well. So he brings it back in the winter and tops the chili with it...add a tamale...boom
Gonna smoke it. Makes amazing tacos. Goes great on a sandwich too.

I went to Publix fully expecting to find no meat. Quite the opposite. So I look at Bubba Burgers and they were$13 for 6 patties. The super duper high end organic patties were $12.75 for 6 so I bought a shit ton of those and will freeze them. I bought a bunch of other meat that we are freezing and cooking this weekend.

One strange thing I noticed was the run on taco seasoning. Old El Paso was completely sold out and three people were waiting behind me to grab the Taco Bell seasoning by the time I grabbed some and left. Glad my TP order from Walmart came in!

ADVERTISEMENT