ADVERTISEMENT

What's the fastest you've ever driven a car?

140 in a C5 Corvette.
Before that, 120 in a 1973 Corvette with a customized engine. That was a little scary.

Reactions: Gonolz
100 in a 68 VW beetle...
I had a ‘68 Fastback. You must have been going downhill.

I drove 1971 Olds 442 130 mph on Highway 30 at the near insistence of the owner. Don’t think I’ve been over 100 before or since.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Had a Mustang up to about 115 and was not impressed with the way it handled that speed. I’ve taken a F150 up to about 95 and, I realize it was 20 mph slower, but honestly thought it was handling that better than the Mustang handled 115.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
140 in a C5 Corvette.
Before that, 120 in a 1973 Corvette with a customized engine. That was a little scary.

I've done 140 in my C5 Corvette and in my C6 Corvette multiple times. 140 is about my threshold on a public road before thinking the risks are too high. One time I was doing 140 on I-10 east, I spotted a cop setting a speed trap a mile or so out. I slammed the brakes, got it down to 70 quickly. Cop didn't come after me.

I met a State trooper while doing 140 on a motorcycle, I don't think he ever tapped the brakes.

Would guess about 120 in a car on a couple different occasions

Forward: 114mph in a 1994 (?) dodge Neon

Reverse: about 45 mph in a 1994 dodge neon (side note: ABS brakes lock up very easily when going that fast in reverse)

Man I was dumb.

115 in a Monte Carlo on an Iowa county road. Decided that was enough even though it could have gone more, so I slowed back down pretty quickly. The county roads are straight and flat, so great for speed. But you never know when some farmer is going to pull out onto the road in front of you when you’re moving over twice the speed limit.

Not sure if I’ve gotten above 85 and definitely not above 90 since I had kids.

130 in my 2000 Mercury Cougar on a nice flat stretch of Hwy 20 outside CF on the way to Dike. Man I miss that car, traded it in for a van.:(

About 110 in both ‘73 Plymouth Satellite and ‘94 Chevy Camaro when I was much younger. Probably hit 90mph a few times on family road trips.

145 in my 69 Camero when I was 18. It had a souped up 327 at the time and could absolutley fly. Fun times.

A bit over 140 in a 1970 Chevelle. The guy I was racing said his speedometer was pegged at 140 and I was leaving him. I was 17 or 18.

Back in 1989 my buddy woke up while we were driving across I10 in Florida heading for Texas in his Supra. He asked me what the hell was going on. I told him that the car shook between 110 and 115 but settled down at 120. He looked at me like I was crazy. I told him to go back to sleep.

Later that day we lost our brakes. Was an entertaining trip.

Probably 105 and didn’t even know it. Just crossed over from GA to FL and was keeping up with traffic. I was still getting passed.

Did the drive experience at Atlanta Speedway, felt faster but said top speed was 165

In a personal vehicle
1996 Honda Prelude , left Cisco's ( I think it may have changed names by that point) on North Monroe at 9pm and pulled into Capt Andersons at 1030pm took Hwy 20 and stopped for a pee break in that terrible store in Bristol. Top speed never went below 120, except for bathroom break one of the dumbest things I ever did.

Last edited:
Like 98 in my beretta for a bit before I realized I’m dumb and this is deer and cow country. I’m one of those weirdos that always drives at one or two over the speed limit because I never leave late and I’m never in a hurry.

Reactions: dirtypool
145 in my '68 Firebird 350 HO. The speedometer went to 160 but at 145 it got a little floaty and that car had some play in the steering, so didn't want to push past that point.
120 on a bike.

I was driving down to Hills one day to mow my grandparent's lawn, this was just after 218 was opened up to four lanes and had very little traffic, and I decided to punch the Dodge Dipolomat a little. It went sailing past 110, but a hub cap came flying off, so I eased off. I circled back and got the hubcap, and sheepishly took it to Bell's Amoco on Muscatine to get it beat back into shape and on the wheel.

Had a Mustang up to about 115 and was not impressed with the way it handled that speed. I’ve taken a F150 up to about 95 and, I realize it was 20 mph slower, but honestly thought it was handling that better than the Mustang handled 115.
What year Mustang and F-150? My no pic wife got a kick out of driving 85 in our low mile 2014 F-150 STX. Said it felt like 70 in her 2017 Outback.

Probably 90-95
I must not have enough small penis energy to have tried to go faster at any point

If you can trust the speedometer on a 1971 Comet, about 120mph once when I was 17.

Once I was driving across the OK Turnpike in that same car. I got a toll ticket and it said the next toll booth was 93 miles away - the time was stamped 1:04am. The next toll ticket was stamped 2:05am. Ahem.

At some point in my early 20’s I realized I was lucky to be alive, and I’ve never driven fast again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT