ADVERTISEMENT

What's the fastest you've ever driven a car?

Whatever a mid-90’s Cutlass Ciera shuts off at, probably around 120-125. Then the cop caught me. Lost my license longer than first offense OWI.

In high school we had what we called the “hundred club” which meant you drove a full mile over 100 on gravel. I had a 1975 Torino - pegged the speedometer over 120 for just over a mile then let off- scared the hell outta my buddy riding shotgun. That car sat so low and wide I swear it handled better on gravel than on paved roads

In high school we had what we called the “hundred club” which meant you drove a full mile over 100 on gravel. I had a 1975 Torino - pegged the speedometer over 120 for just over a mile then let off- scared the hell outta my buddy riding shotgun. That car sat so low and wide I swear it handled better on gravel than on paved roads
Owned a 75 Torino in hs too.

Reactions: Hawnkee
120 in a Passat out in Eastern Colorado, which is basically Iowa. Smooth as silk.

Was a passenger in a Mitsubishi Eclipse in college with a drunk-ass girl behind the wheel. I looked at the speedometer and it was up near 130. Most scared I’ve ever been.

Car, maybe 125 on the A7 northwest of Schweinfurt.

Bike, about 175 on a Harris framed Yamaha YZF500 on the main straight at Road America.

I've done 140 in my C5 Corvette and in my C6 Corvette multiple times. 140 is about my threshold on a public road before thinking the risks are too high. One time I was doing 140 on I-10 east, I spotted a cop setting a speed trap a mile or so out. I slammed the brakes, got it down to 70 quickly. Cop didn't come after me.
NDallasRuss and I communicated regularly when I was building the 73 Vette. If I recall, Russ was interested in doing a '71 Chevy Truck, or something like that.

134 90s Dodge Dayton.

My mustang hit a gov reg in 4th at 115. Was curious what is might do in 5th, probably for the better I didnt find out.

A little over 140 when we had our 5-series. I had planned to see if it actually topped out at 156 as advertised but thought I was running out of good road so I backed off. It was still perfectly stable at that speed. Which was unlike my 1966 Marlin, which was very floaty at 117.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
A little over a hundred in I80 in my old Grand Cherokee when I got pulled into a long draft line of other cars. That's what the speedometer topped out at, but I clearly didn't blast past that. Obviously not a performance vehicle, but simply a matter of opportunity and making great time.

I did ride in a drag boat one time that got up to 102. On water is a whole different world.

150 in a convertible corvette on I44 east to STL riding with buddy begging him to slow down. All I thought of was road rash if we wrecked or flipped like the ex NFL lineman for the Philadelphia Eagles that had a vette and did just that. I drove a Trans Am 140 on a county home in eastern IA and also did the NASCAR experience on the Richmond track going around 140. It was an experience but didn’t feel like it was that fast.

I had a ‘68 Fastback. You must have been going downhill.

I drove 1971 Olds 442 130 mph on Highway 30 at the near insistence of the owner. Don’t think I’ve been over 100 before or since.
Yep... we had a large sweeping curve that ran approx 1/2 mile, and going downhill...

that was the last time we ever got it going that fast.... Once we approached 90,it started to rattle a bit, but we were pot committed at that point.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
82. Anything more is unnecessary and dangerous. Shame on all of you.
Probably 130 in a Mercury Cougar 25 years ago.

More impressive is 90 mph in a HMVEE. Not exactly built for that type of speed. No airbags. Vinyl doors. Really safe.

130 in a 1992 Mitsubishi Diamante Rolled the window down for a second and it was like a hurricane.
Was racing a guy on the 101 in CA in my Honda Del Sol going 115 at night when a trooper whipped around through the median. We melted into traffic and he drove right by me. Never been so scared before. It's automatic $1000 fine and lose your license in CA for going over 100.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
130 in a 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe which was my first car. It was somewhere in the 1997-2000 timeframe and I was on I-235 at like 1AM at 15-17 years old. So long ago I cannot remember specifics. That was when the governor kicked in. I then did it several times after that on various roads. I was an idiot. That car had like 180,000 miles on it at the time and, just in general, I was young and dumb.

I drive like a grandpa now at 38 years old. Cruise control and caution is my friend.

Whatever the Audi S4 I was in on the Autobahn was capped at. I'm guessing 135-140ish? Would really love to do one of those "driving experiences" and hit a track with a super car but haven't done it yet.

I have had the M4 up to 146

Absolutely sphincter-tightening scary.
What year is your M4? We got ride of our 335i for a Lexus three years ago. While the Lexus is comfortable and trouble free I miss the BMW. Although we most likely get an electric car to replace the Lexus the M3 really intrigues me now that they got rid of the V8.

What year is your M4? We got ride of our 335i for a Lexus three years ago. While the Lexus is comfortable and trouble free I miss the BMW. Although we most likely get an electric car to replace the Lexus the M3 really intrigues me now that they got rid of the V8.

I will say this - and I’m not proud and will probably get a huge ticket at some point - but that vehicle with the cruise set at 95 feels like almost any other car with cruise set at 70. I made it back from my no-pic daughter’s downtown Chicago apartment to my Davenport driveway in 2hr 40mins last week. 😳

I-88 has virtually no truck traffic since it’s a tollway and you can just put the hammer down. 🙂

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
110 in a 69 Chevy Bel Air with horrible front-end alignment. Worst part is that it was no straightaway, there were curves involved.

I have no idea why, but every time I get a new car I have to get it going 100 at least once during it's early life.

• Wow
Reactions: torbee

I will say this - and I’m not proud and will probably get a huge ticket at some point - but that vehicle with the cruise set at 95 feels like almost any other car with cruise set at 70. I made it back from my no-pic daughter’s downtown Chicago apartment to my Davenport driveway in 2hr 40mins last week. 😳

I-88 has virtually no truck traffic since it’s a tollway and you can just put the hammer down. 🙂
I agree. The 335i we had was the same. I would set the cruise at 120 in Germany and felt fine. When we got it back stateside and picked up from the ports I hit 110 coming off an entrance ramp outside of Baltimore and remembered where I was and slowed down to not fun speeds.

Reactions: torbee
I agree. The 335i we had was the same. I would set the cruise at 120 in Germany and felt fine. When we got it back stateside and picked up from the ports I hit 110 coming off an entrance ramp outside of Baltimore and remembered where I was and slowed down to not fun speeds.

My e46 325i is similar. Amazingly stable at (my top speed in it) of 125 mph.

I was over 150 in my 911 Porsche, but I told stories of 160 in my sister's boyfriend's '66 Vette.

That was decades ago, but if it wasn't true and teenage exaggeration, it was goddamn fast.

My GPS has recorded 105 mph on my FJ Cruiser.

Last edited:
147mph with my 1968 GTX 440...got ticketed for doing 85 in a 65 that night in 1970.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT