ADVERTISEMENT

What's the Holdup Making Coaching Changes?

“Calm down sparky”? You don’t think KF “has been doing his homework” and that’s why no changes have been made? Oftentimes there are factors out if one’s control that dictates the timing..Lots of football is still being played that might affect this timing…. And then maybe KF is just sitting back and phuquin’ with you….But in my eyes, Kirk’s history is not based on “quick” decisions..not in the past 24 years anyway. Again, the only real influence you have as a fan is to not buy tix…
KF is trying to find an OC that will come in and be his puppet (like the other OCs have been).

Quick decisions are not the staffs Forte, hell they have a hard time getting play calls in in time.

Reactions: Fan In Black
KF is trying to find an OC that will come in and be his puppet (like the other OCs have been).

Quick decisions are not the staffs Forte, hell they have a hard time getting play calls in in time.
You realize that within every coaching staff in every sport at every level in the entire world the assistant coaches are "puppets" of the head coach, right? Indeed, everyone not working for a government or in a union shop is their boss' puppet. That's the nature of "bossdom".

I don't know where you work but I'm guessing you go into the boss and tell him everything he's doing is wrong and he needs to change his methods to conform to your preference. That will be right before you clean out your desk and adjust your lifestyle to unemployment benefits.​

I tgink

I think that Anderson is a difference maker. He's a better wr at this point in his career than ism was. And Parker will be a really good ot. He'll be adjusting during spring ball and the fall but going against our dline He'll adjust fast. Plus we have more players coming before the portal closes. And if the rumors are true bf nay have done some really good things before He's gone. Getting Cade could change everything. One more offensive lineman and receiver and we'll be set. I also don't know how good Bostick is or will be. Vines is really improving and Nico is taking this season more seriously than any before. His words, not mine. I think we win the big outright. I also picked TCU so there's that.
Nope.

Please point me to the program where the head coach doesn't call the shots and set the expectations. I wish we had a better offense but our defense is elite and our special teams are too. It's a formula that has worked for a couple of decades. We are at a disadvantage in recruiting and now NIL. Our system of recruiting good athletes and developing them is going to be difficult in the future.

Please point me to the program where the head coach doesn't call the shots and set the expectations. I wish we had a better offense but our defense is elite and our special teams are too. It's a formula that has worked for a couple of decades. We are at a disadvantage in recruiting and now NIL. Our system of recruiting good athletes and developing them is going to be difficult in the future.
“Worked” Lol. Low expectations.

What are your expectations? 12-0 every year? You are delusional expectations. What other big ten team not named Ohio State and Michigan has been better over those 24 years. Maybe Wisconsin the last half of those years. Kirk beat Penn State a ton too. I venture to say none of the Big Ten coaches would have done better at Iowa, put more players in the NFL, and kept the program clean.

What are your expectations? 12-0 every year? You are delusional expectations. What other big ten team not named Ohio State and Michigan has been better over those 24 years. Maybe Wisconsin the last half of those years. Kirk beat Penn State a ton too. I venture to say none of the Big Ten coaches would have done better at Iowa, put more players in the NFL, and kept the program clean.
My expectations are to have an offense that can beat Iowa State and Illinois when your defense gives up 10 and 9 points respectively. It’s also a good thing if your offense isn’t the MVP of the game for the opponent, like Iowa’s was against Ohio State.

I think as aoon as the portal is closed next week we'll hear of any changes. Budmayr to qb coach, bf either gone or duties being changed and hopefully a wr commitment as well. Does anyone know of a coach that might be retiring?

You realize that within every coaching staff in every sport at every level in the entire world the assistant coaches are "puppets" of the head coach, right? Indeed, everyone not working for a government or in a union shop is their boss' puppet. That's the nature of "bossdom".

I don't know where you work but I'm guessing you go into the boss and tell him everything he's doing is wrong and he needs to change his methods to conform to your preference. That will be right before you clean out your desk and adjust your lifestyle to unemployment benefits.​
I've had those tough conversations with my boss, he appreciated the honest feedback, gave me a promotion as well. Some bosses actually ask for constructive feedback and use to it better the working environment.

Others will fire you for being honest, those are the ones that cause companies to fail.

I've had those tough conversations with my boss, he appreciated the honest feedback, gave me a promotion as well. Some bosses actually ask for constructive feedback and use to it better the working environment.

Others will fire you for being honest, those are the ones that cause companies to fail.
I guess you are in a lucky place, because that is not the norm. In what industry were you employed?

What do you think the expectations should be for Iowa? In reaching that conclusion have you evaluated the many weaknesses Iowa has compared to the top end of the Big Ten? Population, media markets, money (and more money and then even more money), blue blood reputations, etc... all work against Iowa vs. tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn St., and Wisconsin. Minnesota and Illinois should be better because they also have big natural advantages that they have fortunately pissed away for the last 50 years. How do you see Iowa overcoming those disadvantages to not only maintain the Ferentz level of success but exceed that to meet what appear to be your much higher expectations?

Also, if you think a coaching change is the answer, please identify the coaches you can guarantee will raise Iowa's level of performance. Unless you can guarantee success you are simply asking everyone to risk what we have, averaging 8-9 wins per season with six seasons of more than 9 wins and eight seasons of 7 or fewer wins, including the first two seasons and 7 years since the last season with only 7 wins. Will it be a "next level" like Steve Alford or Todd Lickliter? Also, will this guaranteed winner come to Iowa? Stay for a couple of decades to build the blue blood tradition you seek?

Here's some perspective: KF is 186-115. Purdue has had 1 ten win season in the last 50 years, back in 1979. Five nine-win seasons-in 50 years. In the Ferentz years Purdue is 135-157. Would you prefer the Purdue approach? Then, there's the Illinois approach 114 - 173. UCLA has had two ten win and 1 nine-win seasons during the Ferentz years. UCLA has had 10 losing seasons in the same time. Kirk has produced only 4 losing seasons total, including the first two, the last coming ten years ago. I did the math in my head so might be off a couple of exact numbers, but I think you take my meaning.

Ask yourself these questions. How many HCs did Iowa have between Evy and Hayden? How many coaches have Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers and UCLA had since Kirk came to Iowa?

The people that make the coaching decision in real life cannot afford to ignore the realities of the situation, many of which I discussed above. If you think we have low expectations please explain the reasonable factual basis for your expectations. If you cannot answer these questions perhaps you should modify your expectations.​

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk and Arbor1
What do you think the expectations should be for Iowa? In reaching that conclusion have you evaluated the many weaknesses Iowa has compared to the top end of the Big Ten? Population, media markets, money (and more money and then even more money), blue blood reputations, etc... all work against Iowa vs. tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn St., and Wisconsin. Minnesota and Illinois should be better because they also have big natural advantages that they have fortunately pissed away for the last 50 years. How do you see Iowa overcoming those disadvantages to not only maintain the Ferentz level of success but exceed that to meet what appear to be your much higher expectations?

Also, if you think a coaching change is the answer, please identify the coaches you can guarantee will raise Iowa's level of performance. Unless you can guarantee success you are simply asking everyone to risk what we have, averaging 8-9 wins per season with six seasons of more than 9 wins and eight seasons of 7 or fewer wins, including the first two seasons and 7 years since the last season with only 7 wins. Will it be a "next level" like Steve Alford or Todd Lickliter? Also, will this guaranteed winner come to Iowa? Stay for a couple of decades to build the blue blood tradition you seek?

Here's some perspective: KF is 186-115. Purdue has had 1 ten win season in the last 50 years, back in 1979. Five nine-win seasons-in 50 years. In the Ferentz years Purdue is 135-157. Would you prefer the Purdue approach? Then, there's the Illinois approach 114 - 173. UCLA has had two ten win and 1 nine-win seasons during the Ferentz years. UCLA has had 10 losing seasons in the same time. Kirk has produced only 4 losing seasons total, including the first two, the last coming ten years ago. I did the math in my head so might be off a couple of exact numbers, but I think you take my meaning.

Ask yourself these questions. How many HCs did Iowa have between Evy and Hayden? How many coaches have Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers and UCLA had since Kirk came to Iowa?

The people that make the coaching decision in real life cannot afford to ignore the realities of the situation, many of which I discussed above. If you think we have low expectations please explain the reasonable factual basis for your expectations. If you cannot answer these questions perhaps you should modify your expectations.​
Dude. I can’t spend all night reading these book-length posts.

Sorry, I won’t know what you’re saying. And frankly, I don’t care after reading your childish “I’m hurt” posts about Ross P

Kf is going to do what he's always done. To be honest I'd love to hear we have a new oc but just because I'm impatient doesn't mean jack to kf. He has a set timeline and will stick to it. I also think our new ot is going to be good. He's athletic, strong, and will have time to adjust to big dlinemen. I'm sorry if i don't agree with you on some things but i do about the coaching changes.
Just stop with the "impatient" bullshit. It has been 11 seasons since he hired Greg Davis and amazingly the offense has steadily gotten worse and it's at rock bottom now.

It's absolutely ridiculous it's mid January and nobody in the college fb world has a clue if anything will change. Just letting that perception that Iowa offense is a national punch line fester. Guy is a messaging/branding moron. Maybe the fattest cat in college fb history

Just stop with the "impatient" bullshit. It has been 11 seasons since he hired Greg Davis and amazingly the offense has steadily gotten worse and it's at rock bottom now.

It's absolutely ridiculous it's mid January and nobody in the college fb world has a clue if anything will change. Just letting that perception that Iowa offense is a national punch line fester. Guy is a messaging/branding moron. Maybe the fattest cat in college fb history
ha ha, never thought we would look back on the GD days with nostalgia and longing

Dude. I can’t spend all night reading these book-length posts.

Sorry, I won’t know what you’re saying. And frankly, I don’t care after reading your childish “I’m hurt” posts about Ross P
This post is only 204 words, take you less than a minute. That might be a heavy lift based on your statement above.

The post you reference was only 416 words. The average adult reads in a range of 200-250 words per minute. So, assuming your reading skills are simply average, the total time spent would have been like 120 seconds, not all the rest of the night. You probably shouldn't lead with stupid if you plan to get snotty with me.

If you actually read my posts about Ross P... and his mom's ex BF why would you possibly think I care if you think I'm childish? You think I'm childish and you are apparently some sniveling eunuch that rewards his depleted sense of value by insulting the Big Bad Mean Man, behind the shield of anonymity, of course. We have low opinions of each other, so? I don't care. Do you care? Does anyone care? If not, why bother?

I'll suggest a reason. You were unable to control yourself. Don't you think the uncontrolled need for emotional gratification gained from personally insulting someone with whom you disagree is, in a word, childish? A thinking adult would probably not involve themselves in someone else's quarrel.

Last edited:
I made FireBrianFerentz.com after the Purdue game last year cause I had enough. I bought it for three years. Not just because it is a good deal. But because I knew it would take three years for Kirk to even consider moving on. I don’t think Brian ever was Head coach in waiting to Kirk. I think if Kirk does pass the torch, it will be to Phil Parker. A guy to keep the ship upright in a transition period. I believe 2023 is Kirks final year. Schedule is setup nice to make a run if the offense is fixed. Win or Lose Kirk is going to be gone after next year. It could be 1985 or 1998, but if Kirk is going to leave next year. He’s going out his way with his son has OC.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I think as aoon as the portal is closed next week we'll hear of any changes. Budmayr to qb coach, bf either gone or duties being changed and hopefully a wr commitment as well. Does anyone know of a coach that might be retiring?
In terms of age, other than Kirk, Nieman has to be getting up there and maybe wants to have time to watch his boys in the NFL before the time is up.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I made FireBrianFerentz.com after the Purdue game last year cause I had enough. I bought it for three years. Not just because it is a good deal. But because I knew it would take three years for Kirk to even consider moving on. I don’t think Brian ever was Head coach in waiting to Kirk. I think if Kirk does pass the torch, it will be to Phil Parker. A guy to keep the ship upright in a transition period. I believe 2023 is Kirks final year. Schedule is setup nice to make a run if the offense is fixed. Win or Lose Kirk is going to be gone after next year. It could be 1985 or 1998, but if Kirk is going to leave next year. He’s going out his way with his son has OC.
Lol. No Kirk won’t be gone unless he or his wife have a health issue.

KF has run his course, he has peaked.

I can ask you the same, how many coaches has OSU, UM, Wiscy had since KF?

KF has run his course, he has peaked.

I can ask you the same, how many coaches has OSU, UM, Wiscy had since KF?
Your question is interesting but not relevant. We are not, and never will be, Michigan or tOSU. We are hard pressed to remain competitive with Bucky, although we have won two of the last three.

Ann Arbor and tOSU have large inherent advantages that Iowa can never overcome long term. Those reputations didn't just happen, they've been building on those advantages for more than a century. The guy that walks into their locker room knows he's looking at roster so deep they will have 4* National Playoff QBs transfer, or 4 & 5*s that barely see the field.

All three are in enormous media markets. They have probably hundreds of thousands of living alumni that have created tens of thousands of individual donors. They have very large urban areas in which very large corporations to simply large businesses provide more institutional donors. Think of the job offers non pro grads have from those three schools. Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnatti and so many other cities. All that money transfers into the ability to hire the best coaches, more and better scouts and out of sight facilities.

Think of this advantage. Assume Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan turn out the same per capita rate of high quality recruits, however you define it. Ohio and Michigan will have nearly three times as many of that caliber of player. Since they are blue bloods almost all those kids stay in state schools like most Iowa kids. Even Wisconsin is about 50% larger than Iowa so, again, the disadvantage is not quite as large but Iowa is fighting uphill.

How do you propose we overcome the disadvantages of money, size, access to prime back yard recruits, media markets (that means more money), donor communities (that means even more money) and news, talk and social media profiles (giving greater access to topflight recruits not in the back yard)? Find that magic coach that will win more and bring Iowa the blue blood status, that is willing to come to Iowa and remain long enough to elevate our stature on a permanent basis? Economics, demographics, and sixty years of history say you are dreaming, simply making perfect the enemy of the good.

Whatever you have imagined isn't going to offset the reality problems, and the portal and NIL are going to make it much worse.​

Last edited:
Your question is interesting but not relevant. We are not, and never will be, Michigan or tOSU. We are hard pressed to remain competitive with Bucky, although we have won two of the last three.

Ann Arbor and tOSU have large inherent advantages that Iowa can never overcome long term. Those reputations didn't just happen, they've been building on those advantages for more than a century. The guy that walks into their locker room knows he's looking at roster so deep they will have 4* National Playoff QBs transfer, or 4 & 5*s that barely see the field.

All three are in enormous media markets. They have probably hundreds of thousands of living alumni that has created tens of thousands of individual donors. They have very large urban areas in which very large corporations to simply large businesses provide more institutional donors. Think of the job offers non pro grads have from those three schools. Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnatti and so many other cities. All that money transfers into the ability to hire the best coaches, more and better scouts and out of sight facilities.

Think of this advantage. Assume Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan turn out the same per capita rate of high quality recruits, however you define it. Ohio and Michigan will have nearly three times as many of that caliber of player. Since they are blue bloods almost all those kids stay in state schools like most Iowa kids. Even Wisconsin is about 50% larger than Iowa so, again, the disadvantage is not quite as large but Iowa is fighting uphill.

How do you propose we overcome the disadvantages of money, size, access to prime back yard recruits, media markets (that means more money), donor communities (that means even more money) and news, talk and social media profiles (giving greater access to topflight recruits not in the back yard)? Find that magic coach that will win more and bring Iowa the blue blood status, that is willing to come to Iowa and remain long enough to elevate our stature on a permanent basis? Economics, demographics, and sixty years of history say you are dreaming, simply making perfect the enemy of the good.

Whatever you have imagined isn't going to offset the reality problems, and the portal and NIL are going to make it much worse.​
This is a pretty reasonable take. Michigan and OSU are on a completely different level than Iowa. Sure, we can beat them in one off games but will not have their sustained success as programs.

Losing, and frankly getting blown out, by both this year didn’t bother me. Those games are like free rolls.

It’s losing to Illinois, ISU, and Nebraska the way we did this season that shouldn’t happen at an above average big ten program.

All three are in enormous media markets. They have probably hundreds of thousands of living alumni that has created tens of thousands of individual donors. They have very large urban areas in which very large corporations to simply large businesses provide more institutional donors. Think of the job offers non pro grads have from those three schools. Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Cincinnatti and so many other cities. All that money transfers into the ability to hire the best coaches, more and better scouts and out of sight facilities.

With your mentality on what we will never be, says it all.

Please give up, it'll happen, if at all, when it happens. None of the redundant & same comments &/or questions will change or expedite your desired response.
Save the bandwidth.

With your mentality on what we will never be, says it all.
Your inability to express your or even a reality-based solution to all of the reality based disadvantages that just popped of my head, says it all as well.

It says you do not understand wishing and being are two very different things. It's easy to wish and build sand castles in the air, in a world where your emotional preference becomes a substitution for factual reality. Everything necessary to raise Iowa to the new level you seek begins with the saddest words in the English language, "what if". What if we hire a genius? What if that genius is a power recruiter? What if the right assistants are on board? What if the genius is a cheater? What if that genius is a grifter, just looking for a bigger pay day? If the portal and NIL create a bidding frenzy, which it inevitably will, what if Iowa cannot compete financially for many prime recruits. Where's our Phil Knight coming from? We don't even market the program in Des Moines.​

• Haha
Reactions: obfuscating

This is a well reasoned post about why we should largely support KF and what he has accomplished here.

Yet the disadvantages you laid out don't suggest iowa is in position 130 of 131 either.

I don't expect us to be OSU. Yet it's also not too much to expect an offense better than BFs. I think Iowa fans would be happy with an O that averaged in the mid 60s nationally!

We all know if BF wasn't the coaches son, he'd be fired. That means nepotism is the only reason he remains OC, and that's a horrible abuse of the fans by KF.

This is utter defeatest horseshit.

Alabama and Clemson are both in poor states with similar populations to Iowa and both have other P5 programs that they compete with in their state, along with a ton of southern schools in very close proximity that try to rob them blind in recruiting.

Yet both of these programs have multiple national titles in football in recent years and absolutely dominated Ohio State at times recently. The Wolverines don’t even take NIL seriously. Failing to compete at that level is on coaches and administrators not reaching to be the best, period.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This is utter defeatest horseshit.

Alabama and Clemson are both in poor states with similar populations to Iowa and both have other P5 programs that they compete with in their state, along with a ton of southern schools in very close proximity that try to rob them blind in recruiting.

Yet both of these programs have multiple national titles in football in recent years and absolutely dominated Ohio State at times recently. The Wolverines don’t even take NIL seriously. Failing to compete at that level is on coaches and administrators not reaching to be the best, period.
How long has Alabama been a blue blood. Since way before Namath and he graduated in 1965. I know Clemson won a National Championship with the Fridge more than 40 years ago.

So, explain how Iowa over comes all of the disadvantages I cited above. Since we don't have a way back machine you have to start from now.

So let's hear how we do it. You guys think see blue sky on the horizon but you don't say how we reach it. You're just sure we can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max_Rebo
Aside from fertile recruiting grounds, what other advantages does Texas Christian University have over the University of Iowa?

This is a well reasoned post about why we should largely support KF and what he has accomplished here.

Yet the disadvantages you laid out don't suggest iowa is in position 130 of 131 either.

I don't expect us to be OSU. Yet it's also not too much to expect an offense better than BFs. I think Iowa fans would be happy with an O that averaged in the mid 60s nationally!

We all know if BF wasn't the coaches son, he'd be fired. That means nepotism is the only reason he remains OC, and that's a horrible abuse of the fans by KF.
I concur. A mid 60s offense adds another 135-144 yards and 11.1 points per game. In theory, that erases 3 losses for a 10-2 season in 2022.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Reading the "we are Iowa and can't compete with other schools" posts make me sad. How has such apathy happened? Is it a holdover from the dark days of the '60s and 70s? Is it out of fear of change? Is it being satisfied to just go to bowl games?

I agree Iowa does not have some of the advantages other schools do. But seasons like 2002, 2009, and 2015 have proven the Hawks CAN be one of the top teams.

The defense this season was one of the best in all of college football. If the offense was even middle of the pack, they likely would have won 10+ games, played in a NY6 bowl, and possibly finished in the Top 10 (and Iowa has finished in the Top 10 multiple times under Kirk).

Maybe Iowa can't consistently reel in 5* players.....but to say they can never expect to compete on the national stage is hogwash.

Reading the "we are Iowa and can't compete with other schools" posts make me sad. How has such apathy happened? Is it a holdover from the dark days of the '60s and 70s? Is it out of fear of change? Is it being satisfied to just go to bowl games?

I agree Iowa does not have some of the advantages other schools do. But seasons like 2002, 2009, and 2015 have proven the Hawks CAN be one of the top teams.

The defense this season was one of the best in all of college football. If the offense was even middle of the pack, they likely would have won 10+ games, played in a NY6 bowl, and possibly finished in the Top 10 (and Iowa has finished in the Top 10 multiple times under Kirk).

Maybe Iowa can't consistently reel in 5* players.....but to say they can never expect to compete on the national stage is hogwash.
I agree to a certain extent. But can you imagine Michigan or Ohio State, putting up with our offensive coaching situation?!? We can’t act like we can compete with the big guys and then operate like we do right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT