ADVERTISEMENT

what's the point of huge engines on bass boats?

General Tso

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2004
Noticed a bunch of bass boats being trailered this weekend and they all had 150+ horse engines. To my understanding, they're not made for skiiing or joy rides with multiple people, so why have a crazy big engine?

Noticed a bunch of bass boats being trailered this weekend and they all had 150+ horse engines. To my understanding, they're not made for skiiing or joy rides with multiple people, so why have a crazy big engine?
I've never fished a tournament, but I imagine there's a time limit and you want to spend the least amount of time traveling to your fishing spot.

Plus they are a hell of a lot of fun to drive fast.

same guys who drive these

3212dbdca155ed34f9c0063a8f708da7x.jpg

In a fishing tournament, you've got to get to the best spots before the other guy.
This. I've heard of fights almost breaking out after the horn when boats run up to a spot at the same time. First come, first serve type of deal.

In a fishing tournament, you've got to get to the best spots before the other guy.

I always know when there is a tournament any weekend at my cabin. Saturday and Sunday mornings, I'll be sitting usually once the sun creeps above the Wisconsin bluff. I'll hear them down the channel coming up 4-5 miles away. Kinda like a far off train, slowly getting louder.

Then like a pack of Harley's they fly on by, maybe 20 to 30 of them. They're putting in at Dubuque and they hit my cabin roughly 6:30.

Considering it is roughly 30 miles, I'm betting they're all going 60+ mph after the horn goes off at 6. Need a lot of HP to do that run that fast given the turns the river takes.

What’s the point of any vehicles odometer going over 80?

As pointed out further down in the thread, it's largely about getting from place to place faster when you're on the clock. Simply eliminating transit time and also to beat the other boats there.

That's for tournaments, but keep in mind that depending where you fish at, lakes can be pretty big. So even if it's just recreational you might be going considerable distance to get to various fishing spots.

I'm not a fisherman btw, but have had enough friends over the years with monster motor fishing boats like you're talking about that have given me the run down.

Been fishing in lake of the woods quite a few times. Seen it a number of times a bass boat with a number on the side (obviously in a tourney) comes in full throttle, puts motor in neutral, kills motor and is fishing before the boat is stopped moving. They’ll cast 10-15 times and if nothing hits they fire up an off they go. So I always figured they needed those big motors so they could get from spot to spot during the tourney wasting as little time as possible

same guys who drive these

3212dbdca155ed34f9c0063a8f708da7x.jpg

Statements like this aren’t always fair. There are a lot of folks with genuine enthusiasm for off-road vehicles. Or high performance cars. I love Corvettes because they’re beautiful, exclusive, a blast to drive and sound amazing. It doesn’t have anything to do with trying to project a desirable image of my “manlihood” on someone else.

Reactions: torbee
Torbee in 3...2...1... to explain that the two times a year he drove in flurries really made this necessary for his commute to IC and back.
I have summer sport tires on the M4, which you cannot drive on if it’s under 37 degrees Fahrenheit. A little message pops up and tells you when it’s too cold. It’s a Major first world problem. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT