ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite Christmas tree ornament?

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
The wife and I put up our tree tonight, and it's a tight battle for me between the ornament featuring Kirk and Spock battling in the Gamesters of Triskelion, with a button that plays the music from the fight scene, the shuttle craft Galileo from the Galileo 7, my Marilyn Monroe ornament, or my Bart and Santa's Little Helper ornament.
What's your favorite ornament that you put up every year?

bacoh_d.webp

Not a Christmas tree ornament but I still have the stocking that my grandmother hand-knitted for me when I was a baby. It's delicate and moths got to it over the years, weakening the yarn, but I still have it and we still hang it.

Reactions: h-hawk
We buy a Christmas ornament each time we take a family vacation with the kids that has the vacation location on it. Yeah, I know - it’s touristy and corny, but each time we decorate the tree, it’s turns into reminiscing about each vacation with kids and is really fun and special.

Not a Christmas tree ornament but I still have the stocking that my grandmother hand-knitted for me when I was a baby. It's delicate and moths got to it over the years, weakening the yarn, but I still have it and we still hang it.

That remains a sore subject in my family. I was the last to have one made by my grandmother

Mine would be the paper plate angel that sits on top of my parents tree that I made. It will turn 40 next year. Every year on Christmas I pull off the angel to show my mom the brown marker I used on the crease to represent the butt

Reactions: lucas80
My favorite is a tattered old plastic Santa ornament, about 2 inches tall, him standing & with his sack of toys over his back. Most of the paint has peeled off, such that it is splotches of red & white. It is always displayed in the most prominent position on our tree.

Background of it...I don't know exactly how old it is, but know for sure it is at least 80 years old & possibly closer to 100 years old. At the first Christmas after my parents got married in 1950, they were dirt poor; to decorate their tree, my mom's parents gave them a box of old ornaments that they had (her parents were also dirt poor - her dad had a junkyard & she thinks the box of ornaments may have been something that he salvaged somewhere along the line). From what they've said, the Santa ornament pretty much looked the same in 1950 as it does now - in other words, like something that belongs in the trash.
When I was little, I fell in love with it. Since I was the baby of the family, I got my way & it became tradition that it was the first ornament on the tree, in the prime spot on the tree. That continued until I got married (I was the last child to marry, so was the last kid still in the house). On the first Christmas after I got married, we were all at my folks house for Christmas, and I noticed that Santa was not on the tree. I asked, mom said "I thought we gave it to you - it wasn't in the box of Christmas stuff." I was pretty unhappy, figuring that dad had tossed it. After we ate, we passed around presents & opened everything - shirts, typical stuff young adults get from their parents. I had one more box than my siblings, which I was told to open last. It was my old Santa ornament, which I promptly put on their tree until the end of the evening, then brought it home to put on my & my wife's first tree.

It will be tough deciding which of my two sons eventually gets it.

An old satin thread Christmas ball ornament with plastic costume jewelry type jewels on it. For some reason as a kid I associated all Christmas pasts with it so it has all my Christmas memories tied up in it along with Christmases I wasn't even around for.

My teenage granddaughter made me an ornament that had 2 of my dogs that had passed this decade on each side. In one of the photos she is a toddler hugging our German Shepherd who would use his snout to roll a ball to her at that early age.
When I opened it that Christmas I gasped but kept my composure;(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT