Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
1- JBo / Troussaint
2- Conner / DJ? / Freddrick
3- JW / PMac
4- Kriener / Nunge / Till
5- Garza / Pemsel

We are going to be awfully....pale.

Is there anyone else I am missing right now as we sit?

Reactions: Y2KG21
1- JBo / Troussaint ....Toussaint
2- Conner / DJ? / Freddrick....Connor, Who is DJ?, Fredrick
3- JW / PMac
5- Garza / Pemsel .....Pemsl

What we don't know is which of the newcomers can contribute right out of the box. JBo, Joe W., and Garza will start for sure. The other 2 spots are very interesting. Losing 2 starters is not a good thing, but if the newcomers can contribute we can be real good.

1- JBo / Troussaint ....Toussaint
2- Conner / DJ? / Freddrick....Connor, Who is DJ?, Fredrick
3- JW / PMac
5- Garza / Pemsel .....Pemsl

What we don't know is which of the newcomers can contribute right out of the box. JBo, Joe W., and Garza will start for sure. The other 2 spots are very interesting. Losing 2 starters is not a good thing, but if the newcomers can contribute we can be real good.

I put DJ Harvey in as it looks to be a 50/50 right now for landing him. I would expect if we get him he sees a majority of the minutes at the 2 with Moss now gone but you never know.

A lot depends on how ready Toussaint and Fredrick are. Also if we get a transfer who can play this year.

I think we see more JBo at the 2, potentially even JW getting some time at the 2 (but that assumes PMac doesnt redshirt)

1- JBo / Troussaint
2- Conner / DJ? / Freddrick
3- JW / PMac
5- Garza / Pemsel

We are going to be awfully....pale.

Is there anyone else I am missing right now as we sit?

Yes, we will be extremely pale... But we will still be good.

My concern is will that be used against us in recruiting? I'm an average white dude, who thought the King Kong reference was not offensive. So, my opinion on this is virtually nil in interpretation...
That noted, assistant coaches will use anything to sling mud. I would think a black recruiter, recruiting a black player with Iowa on their list, would definitely bring it up in a negative connotation.... I would be interested to hear what African-Americans think on this. I am guessing the recruiting is a push at best, and hurtful at worst. Hope I am wrong.

My guess is
C. McCaffery
Bohannon
Wieskamp
Nunge
Garza

It would really help if Iowa could land a decent grad transfer guard. Don't know if they are in on anybody currently but it would certainly help. Otherwise I don't see them making the tournament.

The offense of Bohannon, Wieskamp, and Garza
will not be enough to carry the Hawkeyes to a 20
win season. We need someone else to step up
and average double figures on offense. Last
season we had 4 starters who averaged double
figures on offense and Moss averaged 9 pts. per
game.

UGLY lineup for sure, no defense at all going to be played

You are a real gem. Your agenda is showing through. The defense will not be worse because they lost Cook and Moss. Those guys were inconsistent defenders at best and often didn’t give Max effort defensively. Dailey was decent but he didn’t play much. Baer is biggest loss but hey, every team loses seniors.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
The offense of Bohannon, Wieskamp, and Garza
will not be enough to carry the Hawkeyes to a 20
win season. We need someone else to step up
and average double figures on offense. Last
season we had 4 starters who averaged double
figures on offense and Moss averaged 9 pts. per
game.

They will be fine offensively, if not better, in my opinion. Running offense through Wieskamp and Garza will bring a more efficient Offense with better ball movement. My concern is same as it has been. Defense.

At the end of last season my main request was for a more consistent, defensive-minded SG to supplant Moss. If they could get that through some avenue, I would love the outlook of the team. I fully expect Nunge and Pemsl to man the PF spot just fine. Kreiner is a very good back-up C/PF to have on a team. Wieskamp is going to play a lot and believe Patrick will be fine filling in for 5-10 minutes. We know what we have in Bohannon and if Toussaint can be a change of pace back-up for 10 minutes that’s great. It’s just the SG spot and that was already weakest spot on team going onto the year.

I want to see:
PG Joe T
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Nunge
C Garza

Assuming it will be:
PG McCaffery
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Pemsl
C Garza
Would love to see JT as starter. Coach walks a thin line when his kid/s are on the team. This may affect recruiting more than paleness of team.

PG Joe Toussaint / Connor McCaffrey
OG Jordan Bohannon / C.J. Fredrick
SF Joe Wieskamp / Patrick McCaffrey
PF Cordell Pemsl / Ryan Kriener
C Luka Garza / Jack Nunge

My unprofessional opinion would be if Toussaint is at all ready to man the point guard spot you put him there from Day 1. Bohannon is serviceable at the PG, but despite being small as a SG I believe that's where he's most effective.

That said, my lineup looks like this: -- take it for what it's worth (the same as war, absolutely nothing), positions are somewhat 'fluid' in Fran's system, and roster is subject to change with the 42,000 potential transfers available.

PG: Toussaint (backed up by C-Mac, and Bohannon playing some too)
SG: Bohannon (Fredrick coming in for Dailey-type minutes, or shifting Wieskamp a bit)
Wing: Wieskamp (P-Mac, for a few minutes, maybe Nunge or Pemsl if needed)
PF: Nunge (Pemsl, Kreiner, maybe P-Mac if going small/quick)
C: Garza (Kreiner, Nunge, and Pemsl in a pinch)

Walk-ons: Baer, Ash, Till, Hobbs, Vanderloo

I see things a little differently.

Iowa has these players for the 2019-2020 season as of now:
Toussaint
Bohannon
Connor
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Patrick
Nunge
Kriener
Pemsl
Garza
I see them in a team like this:
1- JBo / Toussaint / Connor
2- Conner / JBo / Fredrick / Weezy
3- Weezy / PMac
4- Pemsl / Kriener / Nunge
5- Garza / Nunge / Kriener

Clearly Iowa could use some depth at wing/sf this year but, unless one drops out of the sky, I don't see this changing much.

My take-

1- Conner / Joe T (??...if Joe is ready, I'd like him to get the majority of minutes)
2- JoBo / Frederick (80/20)
3- Joe W / PMac (80/20)
4- Kriener / Nunge (50/50)
5- Garza / Pemsl (75/25)
Till could probably help at the 3,4,5 if needed.

Reactions: Y2KG21
You are a real gem. Your agenda is showing through. The defense will not be worse because they lost Cook and Moss. Those guys were inconsistent defenders at best and often didn’t give Max effort defensively. Dailey was decent but he didn’t play much. Baer is biggest loss but hey, every team loses seniors.

I'll take that bet.

I want to see:
PG Joe T
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Nunge
C Garza

Assuming it will be:
PG McCaffery
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Pemsl
C Garza

I like that starting lineup. It would mean that Joe T is the real deal. Something we have been craving for many years now...

IMHO we cannot a McCaffery next year. There are two reasons for that. One is recruiting. If even one McCaffery starts, that will be used against in recruiting bigtime. It already is a factor for negative recruiting. Having just one start would cement that... Other teams could use the McCaffery boys to negatively recruit against Iowa in multiple positions. As the two can play positions 1-4.
The other reason is that neither will be ready to start. Connor's shot is horrendous. He would have to have the biggest jump in 3pt shooting in B1G history, year to year, to make it as a starter. Shooting in the mid-teens from 3 is beyond bad.... PMac is just to rail thin to be a B1G starter.

I would love too but as I said losing Baer and Dailey are bigger losses so let me know how we can quantify that.

Baer was by far our best defender, at least analytically. Our returning players for next year ranked 4th, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 14th in defensive rating. I struggle to see how the defense doesn't get even worse pending major change of coaching style.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Connor PG
JoBo SG
Joe W sf
Kreiner pf
Garza C

This is my predicted starting lineup.

Pemsl is not a center. He is a forward, and pretty much just a power forward unless suddenly he can shoot out to 20'. And move much better laterally.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Pemsl is not a center. He is a forward, and pretty much just a power forward unless suddenly he can shoot out to 20'. And move much better laterally.
But most teams nowadays don't really have a low post Center. Pemsl can play inside against these teams.

Baer was by far our best defender, at least analytically. Our returning players for next year ranked 4th, 6th, 9th, 10th, and 14th in defensive rating. I struggle to see how the defense doesn't get even worse pending major change of coaching style.

I think it’s fair to assume it might not be better. It could be more of the same. But my point was besides losing Baer - which I acknowledged is a definite loss for a team lacking in Defense - l don’t know how losing the other guys automatically means they will be worse because none of them were great defenders.

Also, we don’t know exactly what we will get from the 5 guys who didn’t play last year. We hear great things about Toussaint defensively. From what I have seen from Patrick I think he will at minimum be a plus on the press and as a help defender. Who knows how Nunge looks now that he is playing PF and not SF but realistic to believe he will be the best shot blocker on the team.

Agree with JB at the 2.
CJ sounds like he’s going to contribute well at SG. But with Moss’ departure, JB becomes the starting SG, a la 2015 when we started 2PGs in Sapp and MG.
Reasons:
1) The leading scorers will be JW, Garza, JB. Put them in positions to score. JB was shining off the ball as the year went on. Start him there.
2) With the loss of athleticism in Cook and Moss, we can’t afford a high TO rate. So, start 2 PGs.
Harvey would slide right into JB’s spot when he’s eligible in 2020.

With the buzz Fran has been giving Nunge, I’m thinking he’ll start at 4. But going into 2019, we need as high a volume rebounder as possible (who can also defend well) at the 4. If that’s Kriener, then he starts. If Pemsl starts at the 4, with Garza at the 5 and Nunge and Kriener on the bench, then the Hawks just aren’t dancing.

Connor or JoeT starting? If he’s ready, JoeT. He provides a needed missing ingredient- quickness with toughness at both ends. Connor’s experience (particularly in playing PG with JB as SG) will be difficult to supplant, at least early in the year. But agree that Connor’s shooting is not good for a starter. Would like JoeT starting if possible.

Garza Nunge JW Bohannon JoeT
I want to see:
PG Joe T
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Nunge
C Garza

Assuming it will be:
PG McCaffery
SG JBo
SF Joe W
PF Pemsl
C Garza

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Agree with JB at the 2.
CJ sounds like he’s going to contribute well at SG. But with Moss’ departure, JB becomes the starting SG, a la 2015 when we started 2PGs in Sapp and MG.
Reasons:
1) The leading scorers will be JW, Garza, JB. Put them in positions to score. JB was shining off the ball as the year went on. Start him there.
2) With the loss of athleticism in Cook and Moss, we can’t afford a high TO rate. So, start 2 PGs.
Harvey would slide right into JB’s spot when he’s eligible in 2020.

With the buzz Fran has been giving Nunge, I’m thinking he’ll start at 4. But going into 2019, we need as high a volume rebounder as possible (who can also defend well) at the 4. If that’s Kriener, then he starts. If Pemsl starts at the 4, with Garza at the 5 and Nunge and Kriener on the bench, then the Hawks just aren’t dancing.

Connor or JoeT starting? If he’s ready, JoeT. He provides a needed missing ingredient- quickness with toughness at both ends. Connor’s experience (particularly in playing PG with JB as SG) will be difficult to supplant, at least early in the year. But agree that Connor’s shooting is not good for a starter. Would like JoeT starting if possible.

Garza Nunge JW Bohannon JoeT

The hard part IMO is that we are back to square one in regards to players that can create their own shot and offense. Moss could do that fairly well but was a extremity inconsistent player. JT at PG will provide some break down ability on the outside that we have really been lacking. We NEED to get a wing that can score and drive...not sure that CJ is the answer on that but I hope he is.

The hard part IMO is that we are back to square one in regards to players that can create their own shot and offense. Moss could do that fairly well but was a extremity inconsistent player. JT at PG will provide some break down ability on the outside that we have really been lacking. We NEED to get a wing that can score and drive...not sure that CJ is the answer on that but I hope he is.
Any NBA evaluation for JW is going to include that he needs to drive more off the dribble to create offense. He demonstrated that he was capable of that this year. But feel he needs to be pushed to do it more. JoeT would be 2 creators starting.

Reactions: owenhawk
My guess is crunch time will see J Bo at the point, Joe W at the two, Patrick at the 3, Cordell at the 4 and Garza in the middle.

This line up gives us our best rebounding unit IMO and I suspect that Patrick and Joe will give us our best options to force a look if they have to put one up other then Jordan. If we have defenders ala Joe T or CJ that can shut down their man they may earn some of these minutes but until it’s proven given the way this group defends it’s going to be critical not to give up multiple offensive boards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT