ADVERTISEMENT

What's your summer vacation plans?

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
We are still up in the air about a lot. I have a retreat in Nashville and the wife/daughter are going to tag along. Once I'm done, we are going to spend the rest of the week in Gatlinburg. Take the little girl to Dollywood, do some hiking, etc. We were looking at going to Costa Rica (Tamarindo) this summer, but that's in a little bit of flux. We were thinking of doing a road trip, but you have to drive to freaking far living in south Texas to get anywhere interesting like the Rockies or New Mexico. Was thinking about taking a trip to Boston/Providence and cruising up the east coast...eventually finishing up in Portland. Really anything to get out of the blistering heat of Houston....

2 1/2 weeks in Europe. Netherlands, Amsterdam, and Switzerland. Will likely go to Colorado Springs once or twice. Youngest will be living there this summer. Has an interview with a company that does e-bike tours in the Garden of the Gods. Not the worst summer job one could have.
We are talking about doing an extended Euro trip next year. A couple of the partners here rent villas in Italy and France and the price isn't that bad....

Reactions: 3boysmom
Nothing much set in stone. Would like to make a short stay in either Cleveland or Detroit for a White Sox game. Haven't been to either city or stadiums.

Had been talking about a weekish towards the end of summer in Greece, haven't even narrowed down which possible islands. If no Greece, probably a week or so in Roatan or Belize for some relaxing/diving.

It's been too many years since I've done a long distance train, so wouldn't mind finding time for a trip to either SF, LA or Seattle on the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief or Empire Builder.

*sigh* Going to Dallas with our school tech team for a national competition at the end of June. We get to stay at the Gaylord Texan Resort so that's pretty sweet.

Gaylord-Texan_f9866edf-5056-a36a-070ad0b110095e54.jpg

Then...late July/early August I'll be going with my no-pic wife to southern Louisiana for the yearly summer pilgrammage to see my mother-in-law. The food is good, at least.

Hopefully we can sneak in a trip or two to Asheville to hit the breweries.

Nothing much set in stone. Would like to make a short stay in either Cleveland or Detroit for a White Sox game. Haven't been to either city or stadiums.

Had been talking about a weekish towards the end of summer in Greece, haven't even narrowed down which possible islands. If no Greece, probably a week or so in Roatan or Belize for some relaxing/diving.

It's been too many years since I've done a long distance train, so wouldn't mind finding time for a trip to either SF, LA or Seattle on the California Zephyr, Southwest Chief or Empire Builder.
The Pacific Sun Coaster or liner (can't recall) from LA to San Diego is one of the most beautiful rides. It's inland the first half (which isn't that nice) but drops over to the coast in San Juan Capistrano. If you leave LA at about 5 you'll catch the sunset and all the surfers on the breaks. Great wine selection as well.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
The Pacific Sun Coaster or liner (can't recall) from LA to San Diego is one of the most beautiful rides. It's inland the first half (which isn't that nice) but drops over to the coast in San Juan Capistrano. If you leave LA at about 5 you'll catch the sunset and all the surfers on the breaks. Great wine selection as well.

Yeah, that route has been on my list a long with the Coast Starlight (LA to Seattle). I live in Chicago, so the other three routes are just more convenient in terms of taking the train one way and then flying back or vice versa.

Wife and I went to Aruba last month.

Wife and Daughter are going to Paris next month.

Whole family will be staying at wife’s family lake house in Maine in August.

Boy #3 ships out for boot camp in June, so we are going to plan something around his graduation(is it called graduation?) once we have a set date for that.

In the Air Force it was called that. Not sure if it is in other branches.

Reactions: HawCory

Last year knocked out both Detroit and Cleveland baseball games over a long weekend. They are close enough where if the game schedules align just do them both. Good times had at both!

Reactions: ThorneStockton
after school is out heading to Fort Myers
visiting in-laws in Texas in July
might take the family to Mount Rushmore in August

Same o'll, same o'll Headed up to the summer home in NW Wisconsin till November for fishing and relaxing around the house. Late start this year due to dance recital the 15th.
Canada in July one last time. Brother turned 80 this yr so thought one last time would be nice.

We already took a vacation to the Dominican in March, so nothing too heavy for the summer. A weekend in Destin and a weekend in Buffalo for a wedding.

Finally decided on Orlando for a 5 days, 4 nights at the Universal Resorts. Plan on going to both Universal and Islands of Adventure. Then Volcano Bay somewhere in-between probably. I was kind of all over the place and even tried to work with @3boysmom but we couldn't seem to connect on a consistent basis.

I started with Cozumel, but exW won't sign off on passports. So I was going to go to Puerto Rico but they aren't completely all inclusive at this point. We were thinking Vegas but not with kids, South Padre Island, but we didn't find much there. Orlando seemed to make the most sense.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Boy #3 ships out for boot camp in June, so we are going to plan something around his graduation(is it called graduation?) once we have a set date for that.

I graduated from OSUT in the Army in 1986. I assume it's still called that.

Reactions: HawCory
Wife and I went to Aruba last month.

Wife and Daughter are going to Paris next month.

Whole family will be staying at wife’s family lake house in Maine in August.

How was Aruba?

I may be going to Curacao in February. It's about 70 miles away.

A week in Toronto and a week in Boston/Maine. That's what's planned for now. We'll probably do a couple of 4-day weekends.....so likely NYC and D.C.

After my Johnson falls off due to intercourse with OP's ole lady, I plan on a trip to the gynecologist. Then, I plan on making a trip to Minnesota

Reactions: HawkFan1298
We are still up in the air about a lot. I have a retreat in Nashville and the wife/daughter are going to tag along. Once I'm done, we are going to spend the rest of the week in Gatlinburg. Take the little girl to Dollywood, do some hiking, etc. We were looking at going to Costa Rica (Tamarindo) this summer, but that's in a little bit of flux. We were thinking of doing a road trip, but you have to drive to freaking far living in south Texas to get anywhere interesting like the Rockies or New Mexico. Was thinking about taking a trip to Boston/Providence and cruising up the east coast...eventually finishing up in Portland. Really anything to get out of the blistering heat of Houston....
Boston baby. We lived there for 4 years, once upon a time when we were young, dumb, and kidless. Now old, with kids, and still dumb, we're taking a family trip to Boston with side trips to Maine and Rhode Island.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT