ADVERTISEMENT

What’s a good cut for a Sunday roast other than bone-in ribeye?

Take a cut like chuck and souse vide for 24 to 30 hours. Wont help much for today, but you can do it next Sunday.

Reactions: Fijimn
I’m a chuck or bottom round guy

beef-cuts.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Chuck roasts taste just as good or better than the more expensive cuts especially if you sous vide them first. It depends on the texture you’re going for. If you want “restaurant prime rib” texture where there’s a lot of bite and chew left (and I do prefer this as I slice it thin and then add pickled horseradish) then cook it for about 8 hours at 135 before finishing on the grill, hot smoker, or oven. If you want it soft but not falling away, pot roast style texture then cook it at 135 for 12-24 hours.

In both cases, do not add salt and pepper directly to the sous vide as you can over tenderize it. Instead add a tablespoon or two of Better than Beef Bouillon, some minced garlic and/or shallots and any green herb you want like rosemary, tarragon, oregano, thyme, savory, lavender, etc... Then after you take the roast out of the sous vide bag, pat it dry with paper towels and let it sit in the open air for at least a half an hour if not two hours to let the juices in the interior reset and to let the outside dry. Then add your salt, pepper and any dry spices and herbs.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Not doing a true roast in the oven but I do have a chuck roast in the crockpot. I added a can of French onion soup on low for the next 10 hours. Picked up some onion rolls, add some provolone and put in oven at 350 for 7-8 minutes. Spoon out some au jus and enjoy a French dip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT