ADVERTISEMENT

When do players announce

TreyVega

Team MVP
Apr 23, 2019
If they will forgo a bowl game? I think Wirfs and Eppy are the only possible candidates, but I think they'll play. Even Jonathan Taylor is playing for Wisky. Trying to remember when Fant announced. Does USC have heralded players that might skip?

Pittman would seem like a likely prospect to skip the bowl. He is probably a late first-early second round player. Vaughns is another possibility but probably not as likely as Pittman. I just hope the Hawks have all their guys for the game.

If they will forgo a bowl game? I think Wirfs and Eppy are the only possible candidates, but I think they'll play. Even Jonathan Taylor is playing for Wisky. Trying to remember when Fant announced. Does USC have heralded players that might skip?
I think fant pulled out a cell phone after the braska game was done and hopped on twitter! :D

There is zero chance Iowa has someone sit this year. Those 2 were born hawks, they're not gonna turn their backs on the team.....

Saw a headline that said Tristan and A.J. Epenesa are both playing in the Holiday Bowl, which should come as a surprise to nobody.........

From 247 Sports article: Like Epenesa, Wirfs said he didn't think for one second about skipping the Bowl Game. He wants to finish what he started.

"I'd feel like like I was letting my teammates down. I made a commitment to them for 12 weeks plus camp. It feels like you're kind of bailing on them. So there's no way I wouldn't play."

Amen Tristan and A.J. !

Epenesa is going to get NFL evaluation, as is Geno Stone. Tristan is referring questions about his NFL future to his Mom! LOL! "I feel kind of bad putting it all on her, but she said she'd handle it and not let anyone talk to me".

ISM is coming back for sure, not trying NFL evaluation. Alaric and Gholston were not available for comment.

Last edited:
I hope they only ply sparingly and the backups get much needed reps as well for jumpstart for next year.

It will limit the wear on TW AJE NFL workouts Matter a lot and I think both physical freaks whom I hope are 100% healthy for those.

The backups have worked just as hard all year and the ones you expect/need to count on next year should get meaningful reps.

Play to win but also play towards the future as that is the most important thing for Iowa Football.

Reactions: mick82
I hope they only ply sparingly and the backups get much needed reps as well for jumpstart for next year.

It will limit the wear on TW AJE NFL workouts Matter a lot and I think both physical freaks whom I hope are 100% healthy for those.

The backups have worked just as hard all year and the ones you expect/need to count on next year should get meaningful reps.

Play to win but also play towards the future as that is the most important thing for Iowa Football.
I don't know how old you are, but the ONLY way that happens is if Iowa is down 50 late in the game, and even then it is unlikely other than a handful of snaps for departing Seniors, who can say they played in a Bowl Game.

Reactions: mick82

That is what the bowl prep practices are for. KF wouldn’t take the time away from Tristen and AJ because they deserve to play as long as they want to. And who knows, they both could be back next year.

If they were going to, they probably would have by now. Probably shortly after the last game.

Wirfs and AJE both said they are playing in the bowl.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...absence-play-usc-dec-27-san-diego/4368786002/

"You make it through the whole season with your teammates, with your brothers. I haven't decided if I'm staying or leaving," Epenesa said Sunday. "I'm just going, and playing for the guys with me."

Wirfs, like Epenesa, said it was an easy decision for him to play against USC, perhaps for the final time in a Hawkeye uniform.

"I understand why some people don't do that," Wirfs said. "I'd feel like I was letting my teammates down. I made a commitment to them for 12 weeks, plus camp. It feels like you're kind of bailing on them. So there's no way I wouldn't."

I'm not going to celebrate Hawks that stick around to play in the bowl game. I expect them to be there. I also won't heavily criticize any player that decides to sit it out, but that doesn't mean I agree with their decision.

I’d missed Stone saying he wanted an evaluation. Gholston and Jackson having no comment seems to me they are likely gone. No info, just my gut.

I hope they are making the right decisions. There maybe some from last year who wish they had stayed. With everyone back this could have been a very special year.

Without having his own stats or a historical context of the stats of DE's that get drafted, is Gholston really going to be on a lot of team's radar screens?

Saw a headline that said Tristan and A.J. Epenesa are both playing in the Holiday Bowl, which should come as a surprise to nobody.........

From 247 Sports article: Like Epenesa, Wirfs said he didn't think for one second about skipping the Bowl Game. He wants to finish what he started.

"I'd feel like like I was letting my teammates down. I made a commitment to them for 12 weeks plus camp. It feels like you're kind of bailing on them. So there's no way I wouldn't play."

Amen Tristan and A.J. !

Epenesa is going to get NFL evaluation, as is Geno Stone. Tristan is referring questions about his NFL future to his Mom! LOL! "I feel kind of bad putting it all on her, but she said she'd handle it and not let anyone talk to me".

ISM is coming back for sure, not trying NFL evaluation. Alaric and Gholston were not available for comment.

Not a chance! They have decided to play they are all in and want to win.

Wirfs and AJE both said they are playing in the bowl.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...absence-play-usc-dec-27-san-diego/4368786002/

"You make it through the whole season with your teammates, with your brothers. I haven't decided if I'm staying or leaving," Epenesa said Sunday. "I'm just going, and playing for the guys with me."

Wirfs, like Epenesa, said it was an easy decision for him to play against USC, perhaps for the final time in a Hawkeye uniform.

"I understand why some people don't do that," Wirfs said. "I'd feel like I was letting my teammates down. I made a commitment to them for 12 weeks, plus camp. It feels like you're kind of bailing on them. So there's no way I wouldn't."
That's odd, I remember folks on here saying all the players fully supported players sitting out bowl games ;)

I’d missed Stone saying he wanted an evaluation. Gholston and Jackson having no comment seems to me they are likely gone. No info, just my gut.

I hope they are making the right decisions. There maybe some from last year who wish they had stayed. With everyone back this could have been a very special year.

It’s not that they were there and said no comment it’s that they were in class and unavailable for comment. So no reporters got to ask them about it yet unlike Wirfs, AJE and the rest who were available to reporters.

That's odd, I remember folks on here saying all the players fully supported players sitting out bowl games ;)

Ever since the Jake Butt ordeal (i'm sure it happened to others but i always recall that one), who dropped from potential 2nd round to 5th round after tearing his ACL in the Orange Bowl, it's very hard to blame anyone for sitting out a bowl game.

Eppy already said he would never even consider sitting out the bowl game. I believe Wirfs basically said the same thing, that he will sit down with his mom and KF after the game to decide if he will declare for draft.

Ever since the Jake Butt ordeal (i'm sure it happened to others but i always recall that one), who dropped from potential 2nd round to 5th round after tearing his ACL in the Orange Bowl, it's very hard to blame anyone for sitting out a bowl game.
As fans we certainly can't blame them. The players, different story imo.
They bust their butts for years and put their body parts on the line to help make their team(teammates) as good as they can be. Imo they have every right to be disappointed in seeing someone abandon them before the season is done. It's obviously a topic that won't be agreed on by all though.

Reactions: 24 so far
That is what the bowl prep practices are for. KF wouldn’t take the time away from Tristen and AJ because they deserve to play as long as they want to. And who knows, they both could be back next year.
Exactly. The Hawks, (including AJ and TW who are all in), are going to Cali to win the game. They'll have time to rest and train for the combine, (if they decide to be there). It's not until February at least....:confused:

Reactions: ichawk24
I guess, but I'm still in the camp that believes your part of a team, and the guys in this situation are generally the best players. There were a couple of players last year, (and I don't remember the team), who redshirted after the 4th game because the team already had 3 losses, and they wanted to push the reset button, and hope the TEAM would be better the following year. Absolute BS, and the coach went along with it! If I'm the AD at that school, I fire the coach, and tell the two freeloaders to hit the road. The problem with this bowl game thing is, where does it end. Now if the kid doesn't want to participate in all star games or even events in the combine, great. He's not hurting anyone but himself. But to walk away from your team, during the season to me tells the rest of the guys on his team, that they don't matter to him. For all the well deserved accloades that Duncan is getting this year, would he be where he is without the job, by Subbert and Rastetter, or the lineman who block for him? NO, and he knows it.

Rutgers had their RB and QB redshirt after 4 games.

I could go either way. They want to work and fight with their team for another year.

Rutgers had their RB and QB redshirt after 4 games.

I could go either way. They want to work and fight with their team for another year.
What about the other seniors on the team? Should they not be given the full support of their coaches and team mates to have the best senior year possible, or should teams just fold up and forfeit after the 4th game if they're 1-3 or worse? To me this just goes against everything that sports is about. Unfortunately, sports used to be mostly what was good about our society, and now its more in the other direction, and is more a reflection of whats wrong. ME,ME,ME.......

I guess you can then argue that no one should ever redshirt. They should be doing everything they can to win this year. It would be ME ME ME to ever redshirt.

I guess you can then argue that no one should ever redshirt. They should be doing everything they can to win this year. It would be ME ME ME to ever redshirt.
Cmon, there is a big difference between a kid coming in out of high school and trying to acclimate to college life, and who also may not be physically ready, and an upper classman who decides to forego the remainder of a season specifically because they aren't happy with how the first few games went, or they don't want to risk an injury because they have decided the remaining games don't matter to them personally. Totally and apples to watermelons comparison.

I agree, it is not a direct comparison.

But I bristle when you say a guy who wants another year with his TEAM is doing a ME ME ME. You're a little quick to immediately castigate players and then blame "society" when the smallest decision goes in a different direction than what you prefer.

What would Rutgers have gained if those guys didn't redshirt? Also, they decided to redshirt after their coach had already been fired. Should they have just used up their final year of eligibility so that their interim coach could watch them go 2-10?

I agree, it is not a direct comparison.

But I bristle when you say a guy who wants another year with his TEAM is doing a ME ME ME. You're a little quick to immediately castigate players and then blame "society" when the smallest decision goes in a different direction than what you prefer.

What would Rutgers have gained if those guys didn't redshirt? Also, they decided to redshirt after their coach had already been fired. Should they have just used up their final year of eligibility so that their interim coach could watch them go 2-10?
I understand that we're looking at this differently, and thats OK. Your saying they want another year with their team, and I see it as thy're not happy with how their season is going, (stats or whatever) and are using the system to push reset. Also don't like guys pulling out from bowls or earlier, because they don't think they will benefit, or may be injured. Can't see how this is anything but ME first. A lot of guys are injured in practice. Does a coach let a star player not practice, (even if he's healthy), to avoid the risk? How does the coach build team unity and character, if certain players get treated differently? (I'm not naive enough to think stars don't get any preferential treatment), but there has to be limits, especially for a team like Iowa, built on hard work and development.

Build unity and character? The athletic director/president screamed ME ME ME by firing the head coach in September. After that, unity and character was utterly trashed by the (highly paid) MEs MEs MEs in charge.

The interim coach wasn't building shit. He was collecting a half million dollar paycheck (ME ME ME) while their senior year was trashed.

But, sure, the players exercising their limited powers are the problem.

Build unity and character? The athletic director/president screamed ME ME ME by firing the head coach in September. After that, unity and character was utterly trashed by the (highly paid) MEs MEs MEs in charge.

The interim coach wasn't building shit. He was collecting a half million dollar paycheck (ME ME ME) while their senior year was trashed.

But, sure, the players exercising their limited powers are the problem.
Sorry, its obvious we've gone off on a tangent here. You're obviously relating this topic to one school, and I've been trying to address this as an overall systematic problem in general. My apologies....

Glad they are playing but seriously these guys have earned the right to do whatever they want. I understand the arguments on both sides but if they don't play it's just an opportunity for our future players to get valuable reps. If it were bten championship or rose bowl that might be different but we failed to reach team goal for 8th time in 9 years.....holiday just a consolation. Not sure why people get so worked up over it, these guys risk tens of millions potentially every game

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
This is the thread where a bunch of boomers talk about “honor and commitment” like these guys owe something more than what they’ve given to the program, which is a ton. Truth is, 99% of those criticizing any player for skipping a bowl game have “quit” on past employers without a second thought (the other 1% haven’t had a job in the first place). The big difference is, they were trying to secure an additional 5 grand a year, not 5 million for an NFL contract.

I’m happy these guys are playing for us and their teammates in the Holiday. They’re risking a ton of cash none of us will ever understand. Anyone on here criticizing others for not doing the same, well, it’s laughable.

Glad they are playing but seriously these guys have earned the right to do whatever they want. I understand the arguments on both sides but if they don't play it's just an opportunity for our future players to get valuable reps. If it were bten championship or rose bowl that might be different but we failed to reach team goal for 8th time in 9 years.....holiday just a consolation. Not sure why people get so worked up over it, these guys risk tens of millions potentially every game
The holiday bowl might not be that big of a deal to you.
I will gladly bet the house that it is a huge deal to any seniors that are likely playing their last ever football game. Seniors that have helped those future nfls stars reach their full potential.

I'm just happy those who do not think they owe anything to their teammates are in the extreme minority.

This is the thread where a bunch of boomers talk about “honor and commitment” like these guys owe something more than what they’ve given to the program, which is a ton. Truth is, 99% of those criticizing any player for skipping a bowl game have “quit” on past employers without a second thought (the other 1% haven’t had a job in the first place). The big difference is, they were trying to secure an additional 5 grand a year, not 5 million for an NFL contract.

I’m happy these guys are playing for us and their teammates in the Holiday. They’re risking a ton of cash none of us will ever understand. Anyone on here criticizing others for not doing the same, well, it’s laughable.
Meanwhile its Ok for you to make ridiculous general statements about people you know absolutely nothing about, because they don't share your opinion? Ok, I guess, ha? As for my thoughts, I've always thought the great thing about participating in sports for me a my three sons was the camaradere, and teamwork, working to a common goal. The lessons learned and lifetime friendships attained. Unfortunately, much of this has go by the wayside, in favor of the almighty $. Sorry, but I think its a sad day. I'm glad that these young men will be there for their team mates. I think it says something about the type of people they are. These guys will be well payed for their skills, and deservedly so. Its funny, but most athletes today seem to be remembered as much for how much money they made, or how big a contract they signed, then for what they actually did, or who they were as people. Too bad, in the end, you can't take it with you.....

Reactions: 24 so far
ADVERTISEMENT