ADVERTISEMENT

When does Petras start getting looks?

Remember back when we were saying this during a ho-hum season years back and the starter got 100% of the playing time for the whole season....can't remember who it was. That's KF reasoning for you....he figures that the QB will learn during the non-conference when the games really do not count....after all, its all about winning the West....any higher aspirations, would be....well....crazy.

Reactions: m.stoops2013
Why do we believe he will be any better? I think we have allot of good pieces on offence but the key of it isn't there a dynamic play maker at QB.

Reactions: iowahaha1
With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.
2020. Enough BS. Thank you.

Reactions: TJFant
Why do we believe he will be any better? I think we have allot of good pieces on offence but the key of it isn't there a dynamic play maker at QB.

How do we know until he has had enough on field experience?
Yeah yeah...a big guy in the usual Iowa mold...we always hear that.
He won’t get meaningful on field time this year is the usual Iowa path.
We shall see but usually predicting the future is tough.
Go Hawks!

One thing I'm optimistic about regarding Petras is that the offense he played with in high school was passing focused. Not so with Stan. Now here at Iowa it will require much more than just a pass heavy background to make Petras and the offense successful. We will need to have the OL in order and get the right scheme established for him. I think Petras has some things that Stan does not and will show them next year.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Nope.

Was it 2011 or 2012 when Iowa was the only D1 team in the country to have just one quarterback take every snap that season?

Remember CJ Beathard practically hobbling on one leg during the Outback Bowl yet played every snap of that game?

There is your answer.

2012. They went 4-8. Vandenberg took every snap that season. It was GDGDs first season as OC. Vandenberg actually was pretty decent in 2011.

2012. They went 4-8. Vandenberg took every snap that season. It was GDGDs first season as OC. Vandenberg actually was pretty decent in 2011.
Yep. Even in games that were essentially “over”, he refused to give the backup even one series to get meaningful game experience.

He doesn’t and shouldn’t. He’s not better than Stanley.

The hate for Stanley last night was unreal. I even heard people around me blame him for Goodson’s fumble. He literally put the ball right in his chest and Goodson didn’t secure it.

Stanley could complete 99 out of 100 passes and a good number of fans would freak out and bitch about that one incompletion.

Yes Stanley makes some bad throws. Guess what? So does every damn QB in college football and the NFL. Never mind the fact that Stanley has been absolutely destroyed the past two games because of horrible blocking.

Stanley will go down as one of the greatest QB’s of all time at Iowa when his time is done. The saddest thing part is that he will also go down as one of the most hated players in Iowa history. We literally have a QB who was nicknamed “Rick Six” by the Iowa fans because he threw so many pick sixes and he is one of the most loved in Iowa history.

Stanley is better than that and he deserves better from Iowa fans.

I'd be concerned that putting Petras in with this porous O line would actually have a negative impact on his psyche for next year. It's good to get the reps but they should be quality reps.

Why do you think the line will be better next year without Wirfs and Jackson?

Petras almost saw action last night after Stanley hit his thumb again on a helmet. But in all seriousness without being injured it’ll be next year.

The hate for Stanley last night was unreal. I even heard people around me blame him for Goodson’s fumble. He literally put the ball right in his chest and Goodson didn’t secure it.

Stanley could complete 99 out of 100 passes and a good number of fans would freak out and bitch about that one incompletion.

Yes Stanley makes some bad throws. Guess what? So does every damn QB in college football and the NFL. Never mind the fact that Stanley has been absolutely destroyed the past two games because of horrible blocking.

Stanley will go down as one of the greatest QB’s of all time at Iowa when his time is done. The saddest thing part is that he will also go down as one of the most hated players in Iowa history. We literally have a QB who was nicknamed “Rick Six” by the Iowa fans because he threw so many pick sixes and he is one of the most loved in Iowa history.

99 out of 100? How about 55 out of 100? That is his completion % against the teams he has played with winning conference records. The reason people venerate Stanzi today (they didn't nearly as much back then) is that he found ways to win games. Stanley is 1-10 vs teams with winning records in conference play. The slant to McNutt on the last play to beat MSU. Stanley threw essentially the same pass three feet behind Smith last night. If he makes that throw, the entire complexion of the game changes.
I have actually defended Stanley at times. The Martin PI non-call last week was not his fault. He put that ball exactly where it needed to be. The OL has been abominable the last two weeks. That has not helped his cause. But too many times he makes poor decisions when he is not under duress.
He is QB until he graduates. I am not calling for Petras, Mansell, or Padilla. But he is the greatest factor between this team beng 7-5/8-4 or being in Indy in early December.

I don’t think anybody is saying Petras is better than Stanley.

It’s true Stanley has been destroyed the past 2 games. It’s true he has thrown a lot of td passes. It is also true that his record in “big” games is terrible, and that he has not improved one iota over 3 years. Yes, every qb makes bad throws, but how many over/under throw open receivers as consistently as Stanley?

You mention “Rick Six”. Yes, he threw a lot of pick sixes. He was also a winner. Won 3 bowl games.

Of all the qbs in the Ferentz era, I can immediately think of 5 that I would take over Stanley.

I have nothing against Stanley. He’s just average at best.

No backup ever plays unless there is a major injury, at least that's KF's history at Iowa. A few years ago--maybe it was James Vandenberg's senior year--Iowa was the ONLY team in the country that had one QB take every freakin' snap all season long. That's pretty special.

In a normal program this would make perfect sense. Getting Petras snaps this year would negate two years of excuses for Kirk and Brian. Stanley's lack of mobility is a big problem but in fairness to him, the whole scheme needs to be blown up. Outside of cupcakes, Iowa hasn't run on anybody that I can remember. Can you imagine what Iowa would look like if the defense played like the offense? Can you say Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue and Indiana?

Reactions: OC guru
99 out of 100? How about 55 out of 100? That is his completion % against the teams he has played with winning conference records. The reason people venerate Stanzi today (they didn't nearly as much back then) is that he found ways to win games. Stanley is 1-10 vs teams with winning records in conference play. The slant to McNutt on the last play to beat MSU. Stanley threw essentially the same pass three feet behind Smith last night. If he makes that throw, the entire complexion of the game changes.
I have actually defended Stanley at times. The Martin PI non-call last week was not his fault. He put that ball exactly where it needed to be. The OL has been abominable the last two weeks. That has not helped his cause. But too many times he makes poor decisions when he is not under duress.
He is QB until he graduates. I am not calling for Petras, Mansell, or Padilla. But he is the greatest factor between this team beng 7-5/8-4 or being in Indy in early December.

Yep. And he’s done that with below average receivers for the majority of his career. It hasn’t been until this year his receivers have been average and they still can’t get open on a consistent basis.

They only difference is that they have less drops this year.

New to Hawkeye football?

I’d be surprised if Kirk new what a computer was, let alone scour the inter webs for coaching advice. If he did see this board, he’d bench Petras next year just to spite you.
Right, so thats where you think he should go for advice after a loss, is here? :rolleyes:

It’s true Stanley has been destroyed the past 2 games. It’s true he has thrown a lot of td passes. It is also true that his record in “big” games is terrible, and that he has not improved one iota over 3 years. Yes, every qb makes bad throws, but how many over/under throw open receivers as consistently as Stanley?

You mention “Rick Six”. Yes, he threw a lot of pick sixes. He was also a winner. Won 3 bowl games.

Of all the qbs in the Ferentz era, I can immediately think of 5 that I would take over Stanley.

Stanzi also had DJK and McNutt. And Stanley is 2-0 in bowl games. So what?

Yep. And he’s done that with below average receivers for the majority of his career. It hasn’t been until this year his receivers have been average and they still can’t get open on a consistent basis.

They only difference is that they have less drops this year.

Well if his receivers were so subpar, who caught all those TDs he has thrown?

So was Rick a winner because we won three bowl games? If Iowa wins this year, that would make Stanley 3-0 with about the same number of wins as a starter as Rick six. Using that logic Long was 2-2 in games he started and Iowa only won more the 9 games once in his career. Tate was 2-1, and Banks was 0-1 in bowl games, and no he didn't play all that well in Iowa's two losses in 2002 either. Yes Stanleys had some issues, and he's not great, but he's had plenty of help in these losses.

Are you serious right now? Are you going to try and claim he’s had good receivers his entire career?

You’d be the first Iowa fan to make that claim.

His first two years he had two first-round TEs and admittedly a sub-par WR group. This year he has probably four WRs that get open regularly. The problem with one of those (Tracy) is that he has a serious case of the dropsies. So Stanley's receiving corps has been average at least during his three years.
Stanzi had McNutt and DJK (McNutt had a brief stint in the NFL, DJK never got so much as a phone call) and some good TEs as well. I would say the overall receivers Stanley has today compare favorably with what Stanzi had to throw to during the 09 and 10 seasons.

Reactions: iahawks10
His first two years he had two first-round TEs and admittedly a sub-par WR group. This year he has probably four WRs that get open regularly. The problem with one of those (Tracy) is that he has a serious case of the dropsies. So Stanley's receiving corps has been average at least during his three years.
Stanzi had McNutt and DJK (McNutt had a brief stint in the NFL, DJK never got so much as a phone call) and some good TEs as well. I would say the overall receivers Stanley has today compare favorably with what Stanzi had to throw to during the 09 and 10 seasons.

Except you can’t throw to the TE all the time.

You’d be the only Iowa fan to claim that Stanley had comparable WR’s to Stanzi. It’s not close.

No backup ever plays unless there is a major injury, at least that's KF's history at Iowa. A few years ago--maybe it was James Vandenberg's senior year--Iowa was the ONLY team in the country that had one QB take every freakin' snap all season long. That's pretty special.
Personally, I'm kind of sick of all of the "special" things Iowa gets credit for. I want an Iowa team that is special because they win games.

When I read this thread I think the most popular player on the team is the backup quarterback.

I’ll add in an Akrum Wadley catching passes out of the backfield. May be the best RB in open space in the KF era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT