ADVERTISEMENT

When does Petras start getting looks?

So was Rick a winner because we won three bowl games? If Iowa wins this year, that would make Stanley 3-0 with about the same number of wins as a starter as Rick six. Using that logic Long was 2-2 in games he started and Iowa only won more the 9 games once in his career. Tate was 2-1, and Banks was 0-1 in bowl games, and no he didn't play all that well in Iowa's two losses in 2002 either. Yes Stanleys had some issues, and he's not great, but he's had plenty of help in these losses.
Not just bowl games. Someone posted that Stanley’s record against conference opponents with winning records is 1-10. That is horrible. I don’t know Stanzi’s record, but I’m pretty sure it is better than that.

I am not blaming losses on Stanley. My point is....he is not a great qb. He is average to slightly above, and not as good as Stanzi.

So was Rick a winner because we won three bowl games? If Iowa wins this year, that would make Stanley 3-0 with about the same number of wins as a starter as Rick six. Using that logic Long was 2-2 in games he started and Iowa only won more the 9 games once in his career. Tate was 2-1, and Banks was 0-1 in bowl games, and no he didn't play all that well in Iowa's two losses in 2002 either. Yes Stanleys had some issues, and he's not great, but he's had plenty of help in these losses.
Tate was 1-2 in bowl games but understand what you are saying.

Except you can’t throw to the TE all the time.

You’d be the only Iowa fan to claim that Stanley had comparable WR’s to Stanzi. It’s not close.
The way you word it, you're right. if you change WR to "pass catcher" though.....

99 out of 100? How about 55 out of 100? That is his completion % against the teams he has played with winning conference records. The reason people venerate Stanzi today (they didn't nearly as much back then) is that he found ways to win games. Stanley is 1-10 vs teams with winning records in conference play. The slant to McNutt on the last play to beat MSU. Stanley threw essentially the same pass three feet behind Smith last night. If he makes that throw, the entire complexion of the game changes.
I have actually defended Stanley at times. The Martin PI non-call last week was not his fault. He put that ball exactly where it needed to be. The OL has been abominable the last two weeks. That has not helped his cause. But too many times he makes poor decisions when he is not under duress.
He is QB until he graduates. I am not calling for Petras, Mansell, or Padilla. But he is the greatest factor between this team beng 7-5/8-4 or being in Indy in early December.
Stanzi went 7-5 his senior year and had a chance to win every game in the 4th quarter but didn’t.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Why do we believe he will be any better? I think we have allot of good pieces on offence but the key of it isn't there a dynamic play maker at QB.

Because Stanley is allot less mobile than the average big ten qb and struggles with hitting guys who are open.

Reactions: dozee
I'd be concerned that putting Petras in with this porous O line would actually have a negative impact on his psyche for next year. It's good to get the reps but they should be quality reps.

Yeah. Stanley isn't the biggest issue in my opinion, it's the interior line constantly letting rushers up the middle.

That said, I'd still be in favor of letting another QB have a shot because mobility can make up for some of the Olines issues.

Iowa has a really good D, we don't need great QB play, just enough to get a couple TDs a game.

like I said I'd take tj over any of them.....

I would too. But the thing is that you can’t throw to T.J. every time. You have to have others to throw the ball to who can play at a high level. Stanzi had that. Stanley has not.

Everything considered, Stanzi clearly had better offensive pieces than Stanley has had. Even with that, Stanley has put together a great career at Iowa.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
I would too. But the thing is that you can’t throw to T.J. every time. You have to have others to throw the ball to who can play at a high level. Stanzi had that. Stanley has not.

Everything considered, Stanzi clearly had better offensive pieces than Stanley has had. Even with that, Stanley has put together a great career at Iowa.
that's why I said I'd buy the "quantity" argument, but not so much the "quality"

Reactions: GarryO37
Except you can’t throw to the TE all the time.

You’d be the only Iowa fan to claim that Stanley had comparable WR’s to Stanzi. It’s not close.

And I will say again. His WRs this year are as good as what Stanzi had to throw to in 09. ISM is as fast and dynamic a playmaker as DJK was, not to mention he isnt a colossal asshat like DJK was. Smith is comparable to McNutt. Ragaini/Tracy are comparable to Sandeman. The biggest difference is that Stanzi put the ball on the receivers a lot more reliably than Stanley has.

And I will say again. His WRs this year are as good as what Stanzi had to throw to in 09. ISM is as fast and dynamic a playmaker as DJK was, not to mention he isnt a colossal asshat like DJK was. Smith is comparable to McNutt. Ragaini/Tracy are comparable to Sandeman. The biggest difference is that Stanzi put the ball on the receivers a lot more reliably than Stanley has.

You’re wrong.

I'd say a pretty big difference is that stanley rarely lets his teammates make a play, he'd rather just make sure nobody can touch the ball.
Let smith make some more awesome grabs, he's shown he deserves the chances imo! Of course you have to pick your spots, I'm not asking to see him go throwing up jump balls every other play :)

Stanley is an above average QB and is certainly showing toughness.

His lack of accuracy is just tough to overcome against good teams. He just misses too many throws that need to be made. Also, it seems that some of his reads/throws are just a little late.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.
Next season, when he should get a look.

As soon as we are mathematically eliminated from B1G West contention, I would love to see Petras or even Mansell taking 1/3 of the snaps. Won't happen though. We will go into 2020 with essentially zero experience at the QB position, to go along with 3 new OL starters.

Unless Stanley is hurt, spring 2020. The coach will not pull a seasoned veteran. Blow out game aside. You can wish it, scream it, stomp your feet, but it will not happen.

Just my opinion but I'm not blaming the losses on Nate. First, does anyone understand how difficult it must be to operate behind a line with some noticeable weak links? And, on top of that the defense knows you're going to pass because that's your only option to move the ball. Do you know how good Nate and the Hawkeyes would be if we could move the ball on the ground?

Why is another QB getting snaps equated to blaming the losses all on Nate?

I don't buy the idea that QB is somehow so sacred a spot and the QB's psyche is so fragile that he would be destroyed if another player got a series in a game that wasn't in mop up time.

Nate is essentially the same player as he's been all along. Plenty of great characteristics and some significant downsides. Realistically he'll get every snap on offense other than a blowout in the 4th qtr. That's how KF rolls and there's no reason to think he'd do something different now.

Apologies for the confusion. What I meant was a lack of meaningful in-game playing experience for Petras. With one more loss in Big Ten play, our goal of winning the West is more than likely demoralized. Why not give Spencer some meaningful reps during the backend of the season to better prepare him for next year?

Reactions: m.stoops2013
He doesn’t and shouldn’t. He’s not better than Stanley.

The hate for Stanley last night was unreal. I even heard people around me blame him for Goodson’s fumble. He literally put the ball right in his chest and Goodson didn’t secure it.

Stanley could complete 99 out of 100 passes and a good number of fans would freak out and bitch about that one incompletion.

Yes Stanley makes some bad throws. Guess what? So does every damn QB in college football and the NFL. Never mind the fact that Stanley has been absolutely destroyed the past two games because of horrible blocking.

Stanley will go down as one of the greatest QB’s of all time at Iowa when his time is done. The saddest thing part is that he will also go down as one of the most hated players in Iowa history. We literally have a QB who was nicknamed “Rick Six” by the Iowa fans because he threw so many pick sixes and he is one of the most loved in Iowa history.

Stanley is better than that and he deserves better from Iowa fans.

How the f*** do you know who's better, you sound like a know it all

Personally, I'm kind of sick of all of the "special" things Iowa gets credit for. I want an Iowa team that is special because they win games.
But we were so close in our losses.. just one score games to good teams!

I've seen the above statements way too much. Congrats to Iowa because we almost won....cool.

Yep. And he’s done that with below average receivers for the majority of his career. It hasn’t been until this year his receivers have been average and they still can’t get open on a consistent basis.

They only difference is that they have less drops this year.
You forget about his all world TE's he had? 1 thing I'll never forget is TJ Hockenson running down the field vs Ped last year with no one within 30 yards and Stanley overthrows him. Ready for new blood.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.
Regular season will end 9-3, with likely loss at Madison; however, the rest of opponents all have flaws.

Reactions: Harbinger273
You forget about his all world TE's he had? 1 thing I'll never forget is TJ Hockenson running down the field vs Ped last year with no one within 30 yards and Stanley overthrows him. Ready for new blood.

No I didn’t. I even said you can’t throw to you TE every time. You know there’s more receivers out there other than TE’s right? Noah wasn’t perfect. He dropped some of Stanley’s passes.

Calling them all world is a stretch. They haven’t proven that yet.

I'd be concerned that putting Petras in with this porous O line would actually have a negative impact on his psyche for next year. It's good to get the reps but they should be quality reps.

Oh, please, there was one player who was destroying the Iowa OL, that was Robert Windsor. This loss was on 1.) the coaching staff not adjusting, just like Michigan, 2.) Nate Stanley having a terrible pocket presence and missing a wide open Brandon Smith in the end zone, 3.) The OL not having a clue on who to block on the point of attack(which goes back to coaching).

Great teams adjust during the game, Iowa has failed the last two weeks and that is on the coaching staff.

Reactions: dozee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT