ADVERTISEMENT

When does Petras start getting looks?

While we will likely see Jackson, Wirfs, and A.J bolt to the NFL I would not be totally shocked to see see them in round 3 or 4 given their statistics and their units performances. Round two will be likely landing spots, but should any suffer injuries their stock would drop like a rock.

With a new QB and no quick fixes looming on the o-line I don’t see any of them struggling to make a decision to go or stay. Anyone who expects the QB to improve next year is dreaming.

Sadly the defense won’t get the chance to play on the winner they deserve. I feel for Phil and the D.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.

K & B let a hobbled Beathard limp around the field for an entire bowl game. No way they take out Stanley unless he has an injury that won't allow him to throw or walk.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.

Has this ever happened in sports? Anywhere?

Cannot get worse than our current situation - why not let the projected starting QB for next year get reps with the starters once out of the B10 West race? If Petras is that far behind Stanley, we’re in trouble next year unless Deuce is the savior.

I don’t think anybody is saying Petras is better than Stanley.

It’s true Stanley has been destroyed the past 2 games. It’s true he has thrown a lot of td passes. It is also true that his record in “big” games is terrible, and that he has not improved one iota over 3 years. Yes, every qb makes bad throws, but how many over/under throw open receivers as consistently as Stanley?

You mention “Rick Six”. Yes, he threw a lot of pick sixes. He was also a winner. Won 3 bowl games.

Of all the qbs in the Ferentz era, I can immediately think of 5 that I would take over Stanley.

I have nothing against Stanley. He’s just average at best.
Rick Six was helped by a defense that got turnovers. Remember the Indiana game when we were behind & got into the game with the defense getting turnovers? Seems like that third bowl win by Stanzi was won by a defensive back making a pick six. Stanley has two bowl wins, BTW. And I love Stanzi.

Was it 2011 or 2012 when Iowa was the only D1 team in the country to have just one quarterback take every snap that season?

Remember CJ Beathard practically hobbling on one leg during the Outback Bowl yet played every snap of that game?

There is your answer.
Ask Ed Cunningham about that one.;)

Yep. And he’s done that with below average receivers for the majority of his career. It hasn’t been until this year his receivers have been average and they still can’t get open on a consistent basis.

They only difference is that they have less drops this year.
So Fant and Hockenson weren't good receivers? They were the primary targets last year. Some due to the lack of mature, productive WR's like they have this year.

I know you were referring to the WR's, but Nate was able to compensate with the TE's in 2018.

So, in the course of one short week many on these boards have gone from praising Nate and saying we have the best QB depth to now saying some of our QBs are worthless(with one having only little on field experience) to now wanting to see what the #4 can do.
Amazing turn around by the “experts” here.
As some like to say......JFC!

So Fant and Hockenson weren't good receivers? They were the primary targets last year. Some due to the lack of mature, productive WR's like they have this year.

I know you were referring to the WR's, but Nate was able to compensate with the TE's in 2018.

I have already addressed this. You can't throw to your TE all of the time and Fant didn't catch every pass either. He actually dropped passes too. TJ was the only sure handed receiver he had.

The argument was who had better receivers. Stanzi had two of the best receivers in Iowa history on the field at the same time. They were the most productive WR's we have ever had. To quote a post you haven't seen yet.

"DJK and McNutt only combined for more than 5,400 receiving yards, 45 receiving touchdowns and 343 receptions in their time at Iowa. You can also add 1500+ kick return yards and a couple of return TD’s to DJKs numbers."

Cannot get worse than our current situation - why not let the projected starting QB for next year get reps with the starters once out of the B10 West race? If Petras is that far behind Stanley, we’re in trouble next year unless Deuce is the savior.

Who said Petras was “far behind Stanley”? In live on field game experience sure...that has always been the Iowa way. I do not recall hearing he was otherwise “far behind”. Can you clarify or provide a link please. I recall both Nate and either KF or BF stating Spencer was equal to Stanley in play book/football knowledge now which the TV guys mentioned at one point emphasizing Petras has been on campus only 2 years compared to Nate’s 4 years and that was quite an achievement.
Go Hawks!

This thread is very enlightening. A lot of posters still saying the SSDD, just with new players. Funny how history repeats itself.
This is what fans do. All teams, all sports. Fan is short for Fanatic.

This post was created after Iowa lost 2 heart breakers (10-3 at Michigan, 17-12 vs Penn State) and the offense was complete garbage. Fans start to blame Stanley, KF, BF, Iowa being Iowa, etc. I remember thinking Iowa pissed away another B1G West opportunity after those 2 games.

The Iowa program stays together and wins 6 of their next 7 games, including a 49-24 beat down of USC in the Holiday Bowl. A very nice 10-3 season and Nate Stanley leaves Iowa as #2 all time in Passing Yards and Passing TDs.

This is what fans do. All teams, all sports. Fan is short for Fanatic.

This post was created after Iowa lost 2 heart breakers (10-3 at Michigan, 17-12 vs Penn State) and the offense was complete garbage. Fans start to blame Stanley, KF, BF, Iowa being Iowa, etc. I remember thinking Iowa pissed away another B1G West opportunity after those 2 games.

The Iowa program stays together and wins 6 of their next 7 games, including a 49-24 beat down of USC in the Holiday Bowl. A very nice 10-3 season and Nate Stanley leaves Iowa as #2 all time in Passing Yards and Passing TDs.
Just for the record, you will not see a post from me in this thread or any other, bashing one QB in favor of another, aside from my more recent opinions about SP and AP in other threads. Every starting Iowa QB has had something more to work on (for Stanley I thought it was acquiring more of a touch pass), nonetheless we all know QB1 isn’t perfect. I stand by my earlier statement, that after 19 games experience, injured or not injured, SP only ranks above Jake Christensen for starting QB’s that have been given more than ample opportunity to perform with minimal accountability. If Kirk decides SP is the starter against SD St, then he should have the shortest rope in the world, before yanking him for the next man in (Padilla or Labas). Mystery QB next upside would be way more appealing than SP constantly battling injuries downside…..

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT