ADVERTISEMENT

When fall season is canceled, a plan for spring 2021 and beyond

• Thread starter anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
  • Start date
There are some machines that can get results in 20 minutes. They need to mass produce these.
We use them at the hospital I work at, and they are far less accurate than the other tests. 15-20% false negative, but we see more than that. It's pretty appalling that at this stage of the virus there isn't a more accurate rapid test available.

Reactions: GOHOX69
If we had just taken this virus seriously in March, perhaps this would do be different know and we could be talking about the start of football instead of the cancellation.

We use them at the hospital I work at, and they are far less accurate than the other tests. 15-20% false negative, but we see more than that. It's pretty appalling that at this stage of the virus there isn't a more accurate rapid test available.
Well, I am sure they are working on the speed and reliability. The potential profits are a far bigger motivator than anything else possibly could be.

If we had just taken this virus seriously in March, perhaps this would do be different know and we could be talking about the start of football instead of the cancellation.
You mean when we shut everything down?

Uni, South Dakota, and North Dakota State all have domes.

softball in the dome setup involves minimal setup and for a couple hundred grand in rent I am sure the track meets will be moved/cancelled.

The tough thing. About spring football is there will be more sports vying for tv trucks which there won’t be enough of.

The tough thing. About spring football is there will be more sports vying for tv trucks which there won’t be enough of.
That's interesting and I had not thought about that. College Football, at least the P5 version, will likely win the battle for the trucks, but some things could certainly be impacted. Do we end up with more sports getting just a relatively poorly produced internet streaming?

not an expert but hey who needs to be these days, but i think the issue is just one of what is being measured and the accuracy and sensitivity of the test. The quick tests measure viral antigen, or a protein unique to the virus using an antibody/elisa type of system, the problem is although they are fast they are prone to errors, particularly the false negative, takes a fair amount of viral antigen for it to be detected and early or late in infections it may not be enough to detect, fast but not accurate. technology been around for awhile, just may be as good as it will get with that technology. The PCR test which detects viral RNA (which i believe is first converted to DNA for the test) is very sensitive and accurate uses highly specific DNA primers which match up only to the viral RNA and can detect very small amounts of virus and are much less prone to errors. There is time required to collect the sample, prep the sample (isolate the viral RNA and convert to DNA) then run the PCR to amplify the viral RNA so it can be detected. I work in a lab where people do this routinely (not for diseases) but you can probably have it done in a day but then you have to include time for collecting the samples, shipping the samples, recording the info, do the sample prep and running the assay, sending out the results and say were are running a million tests a day so there is backlog and it is days to get results. perhaps one day we will get to a really rapid and accurate test but not in the next few months.

I am starting to go with the what the hell let it rip crowd, the US population as a whole doesn't seem to be willing to compromise, i mean you look at Sturgis, a quarter of a million people with few restrictions, and then the BLM protests with large crowds and well maybe we should let it rip. It is odd to me because i am sure both groups will probably say why cant we gather the other group did. an effective vaccine is a ways off, and herd immunity could be a rocky road but the majority of potential deaths associated with covid and reaching herd immunity will be the sick, old and fat and rare healthy person.. as someone on here posted earlier ..too bad grandpa, too bad fatso, too bad fractional outlier,,,,seems brutal and uncaring but it may be what will happen.

This is where common sense hurts us so much in our society! Fist off tobacco related issues are not contagious! A person with a tobacco related issue can not pass their issue to others by simply being near them. Covid is highly contagious Tobacco related issues are not! And the 160000 that have died so far this year .....that number could possibly be nearing that 440000 by the end of the year and that is with social distancing and face masks. Without these precautions that number could have been 750000.
And what does being healthy or not have to do with anything .....we all get old and we all will eventually will have health issues ....none of us live forever...it doesn't mean our lives should be cut short unnecessarily.
"...it doesn't mean our lives should be cut short unnecessarily." Regarding that, COVID-19, at least in the U.S., has well over a 95% recovery rate. Note I said recovery. Not hospitalization. This means that over 95% of those who get it do NOT have their lives cut short unnecessarily. The flu will send many to the hospital, and it will kill some too. The panic of COVID-19 and the resulting effects on the economy and other aspects of normal life in general will eventually be as bad or worse than the virus itself. We're beginning to see this now.

8 games in the spring and 8 games in the fall in 2021. No Iowa State game until 2022.

The masses believe medicine is way ahead of where it really is. Lots of things with no answers.

So I am curious as to when you think people should be able to stop wearing masks in public?

Please don’t say when there is a vaccine, even when it does get done it will not eliminate COVID-19. People will still be getting it. So are masks just how people are to behave in public now in order to not be selfish? and were those same people not selfish before when they spread the flu to others?

I have no idea when people should be able to stop wearing masks. I do know that right now all of us should wear them in public. Do you dispute that?

Yes, of course, even with a vaccine people will contract the virus. People still get sick with the ordinary flu even though there are shots each of us can easily get.

As far as selfishness goes, this is not the time for it. We all need to come together and think about the greater good by following the proper guidelines to combat the virus.

I have no idea when people should be able to stop wearing masks. I do know that right now all of us should wear them in public. Do you dispute that?

Yes, of course, even with a vaccine people will contract the virus. People still get sick with the ordinary flu even though there are shots each of us can easily get.

As far as selfishness goes, this is not the time for it. We all need to come together and think about the greater good by following the proper guidelines to combat the virus.

I am not sure what to think. I try to look at things from different perspectives as much as I can. I was told in March that mask wearing and social distancing was necessary to "flatten the curve"..........not so people won't get it, but so that the healthcare system won't be overwhelmed with everyone getting it at the same time........ and now where I live the curve is flat. Now people are telling me I need to wear a mask to stop the spread of the virus, which I was told in March was not really possible, nor the goal. But now it is.

I have never once gotten a flu shot. I never get sick. Do I owe it to the rest of our society to put chemicals in my body that don't really work most of the time anyway? Not picking an argument, just curious your opinion. Also, do you believe that everyone who gets the Covid vaccine will be kept from getting Covid? If so, would you like to buy a bridge in Florida, really cheap?

ADVERTISEMENT