ADVERTISEMENT

When I was lost in life this man helped me find my way

An economist helped you find your way and is the greatest man to ever live?

I might have gone with Jesus or if you prefer a non-religious based answer someone who sacrificed themselves for a greater good or saved a lot of lives.

Nothing against economists but helping people find their way and being the greatest person to ever live seems above their pay grade.

One of the major criticisms of Friedman’s influence is the deregulation of the financial sector, a hallmark of his free-market ideology. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, U.S. policymakers, inspired by Friedman’s views, rolled back many regulations that had been designed to protect the financial system. Notably:

• The repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999, which had separated commercial banking from investment banking, is seen as a key moment in deregulation. It allowed financial institutions to engage in riskier activities, such as trading in derivatives and mortgage-backed securities, which played a central role in the collapse.
  • Deregulation also allowed banks to engage in highly leveraged activities, making them vulnerable to shocks in the housing and credit markets.

rbd6ybx3ww581.jpg

Milton Friedman is the greatest human being who ever lived.
What would Milton Friedman say about the idea of spending 10’s or even 100’s of millions building a new Mississippi River bridge so the 17,043 residents of Clayton County don’t have to drive the 10-20 miles up to Marquette to cross the Mississippi?

Your hero would call you a dumbass.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
One of the major criticisms of Friedman’s influence is the deregulation of the financial sector, a hallmark of his free-market ideology. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, U.S. policymakers, inspired by Friedman’s views, rolled back many regulations that had been designed to protect the financial system. Notably:

• The repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act in 1999, which had separated commercial banking from investment banking, is seen as a key moment in deregulation. It allowed financial institutions to engage in riskier activities, such as trading in derivatives and mortgage-backed securities, which played a central role in the collapse.
  • Deregulation also allowed banks to engage in highly leveraged activities, making them vulnerable to shocks in the housing and credit markets.
Thanks Rinos Jim Leach and Bill Clinton…

What would Milton Friedman say about the idea of spending 10’s or even 100’s of millions building a new Mississippi River bridge so the 17,043 residents of Clayton County don’t have to drive the 10-20 miles up to Marquette to cross the Mississippi?

Your hero would call you a dumbass.
Damn, it’s down to that?

Oof. Growing up, there was always 20,000+ in Clayton County.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT