ADVERTISEMENT

When is it time to cut bait with a job? Asking for a friend.....Examples.....go

No I’m too green for that still. And he’s in a different market.
Is there a way to decouple sales from your job currently? If it is something truly antithetical to your being, and if you explain that to your boss and ask for that decoupling and he says no, i would think he would feel less backstabbed. Especially if you explain you didn’t realize how much you dislike sales until after you were doing them and they invested in you.

Is there a way to decouple sales from your job currently? If it is something truly antithetical to your being, and if you explain that to your boss ask for that decoupling and he says no, i would think he would feel less backstabbed. Especially if you explain you didn’t realize how much you dislike sales until after you were doing them and they invested in you.
Unfortunately no. Basically, the expectation is to pass as much administrative stuff to my future assistant as I can so I can be out selling. Growing business has to keep new $$$ coming in. New job is with a more established provider in this market so they basically just live off referrals and hence their officers don’t need to sell.

Yeah that’s the other bitch of it. My current assistant is leaving at the end of the month and need to hire a new one. Feels wrong for me to make the hire with this other stuff going on in the background.

Unfortunately no. Basically, the expectation is to pass as much administrative stuff to my future assistant as I can so I can be out selling. Growing business has to keep new $$$ coming in. New job is with a more established provider in this market so they basically just live off referrals and hence their officers don’t need to sell.

Yeah that’s the other bitch of it. My current assistant is leaving at the end of the month and need to hire a new one. Feels wrong for me to make the hire with this other stuff going on in the background.
We’ll, I guess it comes down to how much you dislike sales, how good at sales you are despite not liking it, and what the short, medium, and long term costs/befits are (leisure/family time/$/burning bridges/building new bridges). No easy answer, especially if you live in a small community. But, if you are in the DSM metro, I would think it would be easier…

I’m there. I’ve been with the same company since I moved to Charlotte 14 years ago and I’ve grown a lot. I truly, genuinely love the core of what I do, but churn and management changes has pulled me from that core. It’s been a grind and I’ve made some decisions and trade offs that have not been healthy. I’m going to walk away in about a month and take a break. I might get back to writing, maybe try a podcast, but I need to re-focus and make some changes in my life. I work with some truly amazing people and I will miss them - there are some 1-on-1 meetings that are absolutely the best things in my week.

There’s a little more to it than that, but at the core, I need to make some changes and go in a new direction. We’ve saved and, even though I’m not a HROT bajillionaire, I’m in a position where I can take some time off, recharge, pursue some new skills and still be fine long-term.

Best of luck, OP. Trust your gut.
I am going to try to give it a few more months as we work through a new software transition. The new system should make a pretty significant difference in my daily life. That said, for someone that is supposed to be part of the leadership team, I feel like I am left in the dark on A LOT of things. I know they will be looking to be out of the business at some point in the next couple years. I have been through that before and know that if you're not part of the planning, you're probably not a significant part of the future.

I am going to try to give it a few more months as we work through a new software transition. The new system should make a pretty significant difference in my daily life. That said, for someone that is supposed to be part of the leadership team, I feel like I am left in the dark on A LOT of things. I know they will be looking to be out of the business at some point in the next couple years. I have been through that before and know that if you're not part of the planning, you're probably not a significant part of the future.
It’s healthy to think about alternatives, whether you leave or not. We all sometimes get into some degree of tunnel vision with our jobs/careers, but it’s healthy to remember that we do have other choices. You don’t have to be stuck in one field/industry, skills can be transferrable to other disciplines, etc.

I first started thinking about quitting last summer. Thinking about pros/cons, thinking through scenarios and considering other options. It’s taken me some time to come to the realization that leaving is something that I need to do. I progressed from “hey, I could do this” to “maybe” to weighing out reasons to stay to now figuring out specific timing. I went through a similar phase about 7-8 years ago, but that time I found a potential path to staying and worked with my boss to change my focus and it put me on a really cool growth path. This time around, I think the next cool path for me exists outside my current company.

I've been selling for 12 years and there is a 0% chance I'll ever have a degree unfortunately.
University of Phoenix. Take it at your own pace. It will matter and be easier because you know what you want to do and can focus

No I’m too green for that still. And he’s in a different market.
2 years to go and you won't be too green. Go to him and ask what it would take to be mentored into his role whenever he decides to retire. If he isn't willing to entertain that idea then you have some information on what you need to become a person in his role and can look either internally or externally to get that experience. Remember that your career is yours and if you aren't pushing for yourself no one else will either. Just asking should set some things in motion for you at your place of employment and if it doesn't then maybe you aren't viewed the way you think. Also important to know as you are passing on other opportunities

Reactions: jasonrann
University of Phoenix. Take it at your own pace. It will matter and be easier because you know what you want to do and can focus
Should I apply for an internship at Google as well?
9bc67b6e-916c-4650-9166-bd1650fa13c8_text.gif

I feel ya brotha. When I realized I wasn't part of the plan I started planning my exit strategy. I didn't learn my lesson the first time so I came back to give it another shot. I quickly learned I still wasn't part of the plan going forward and had enough. It really came down to coworkers telling me what was being said behind my back that I had seen enough.

The hardest part is making that leap, but when you do you will feel much better. Hopefully in a few short years you won't have to work anymore anyway, you can be living the dream as a stay at home daddy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT