ADVERTISEMENT

When is the recession? I was promised a doomsday recession by so many

I imagine the flood insurance premiums are insane, too.

The Rock River looks pretty in summer. This is what it looks like often off-and-on in the late winter and spring:

7797b940-0202-4407-96f4-cadc3148363a_1920x1080.jpg

5a6f3d21e5023.image.jpg

2850776f-964b-49ff-8f16-22ec5cca5871-large1x1_DresdenIceJams4.jpg
tacos-de.gif

It definitely is not great out there. Layoffs are starting to go more "up-market." I know some very well-compensated people in tech who have gotten laid off in the last 3 months. Software giant Salesforce announced this morning that they will be cutting 10% of their workforce.

A buddy of mine who owns a small local restaurant chain (3 locations) said that he had his first losing quarter in 15 years.

This won't be 2008 all over again, but 2023 is likely not going to be a good year economically.
Tech overextended themselves.

I know our coastal posters, and those from big cities would think our housing prices in DSM are adorable, and they are relatively speaking, but it is amazing right now what money does not buy. Here in Ankeny, so many new houses are built on tiny lots jam packed up against one another, as if we are actually living in a big city or by the ocean/gulf, where space is at a premium. And yet, these nice-looking houses on tiny lots are selling for way more than I would ever pay for them. Then you have "older" homes here built in the 90s and early 2000s, which are mostly tired and in desperate need of renovation. To get a combination of a really nice and/or updated house on a big lot lot with a modicum of privacy, you are looking probably at homes that start at 700k, and go up to $1.3M. Even then many of the houses are a bit dated. Will these prices crash? I don't know. But we got sick of trying to find the right one to move to and basically have replaced almost everything in our house in the past few years, and added a pool, for a hell of a lot less.
Preach brother. Our house is fine and no need to move but have the resources to upgrade if we wanted. But God almighty prices are still stupid even with 6.5% mortgages. Thought for sure they’d ratchet back considerably. I see the only way to upgrade is to wait for the builder backlog to clear and try to get a custom build before the developments are all full.

The generic spec homes are trash and overpriced but taking up the only available real estate.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Preach brother. Our house is fine and no need to move but have the resources to upgrade if we wanted. But God almighty prices are still stupid even with 6.5% mortgages. Thought for sure they’d ratchet back considerably. I see the only way to upgrade is to wait for the builder backlog to clear and try to get a custom build before the developments are all full.

The generic spec homes are trash and overpriced but taking up the only available real estate.
And the trick with that is finding a suitable lot. In ankeny, there aren’t many that aren’t tiny. I mean, up in the otter creek golf course development you have some REALLY nice houses shoe horned in with no privacy. Those houses sold I think for 1M or so. I am not going to pretend I don’t love some of those houses, but many of the lots would be dealbreakers. No way. There are a couple for sale in the 1.2m to 1.3m range I like, but I can’t justify that cash outlay with kids heading off to college. So, we’ll sit tight in our remodeled house and save our money for sweet vacations and retirement.

I don't understand why they care if the work is still being done.
The article I sourced (in the WSJ) said that many of these companies stressed a loss of a comprehensive corporate culture and less effective performance overall. Training goals were falling short as well per those interviewed.

ADVERTISEMENT