ADVERTISEMENT

When looking at remaining opponents the key is RUSHING DEFENSE

Dec 17, 2019
When Iowa has their worst offensive performances it is usually because the opposing defense can completely shut down the run and force Iowa to win through the air (ala Wisconsin v Iowa for the past 10 years). Iowa's offense can look semi-competent if it is able to run consistently and be in 2nd-5, 3rd-2 type situations. That is why I would say PUMP THE BRAKES on thinking this offense is revitalized because I am envisioning more of what we saw the past few weeks coming soon! Northwestern's defense is 112th in the country aka horrendous. Let's take a look at the remaining teams rushing defense:

@ Purdue 18th
Wisconsin 25th
@ Minnesota 26th
Nebraska 115th !!! (this is why we dominate them consistently)

For context the teams we have lost to:

Iowa St 15th
Michigan 5th
Illinois 2nd
Ohio St 8th

I will predict 2-2 finish with a blowout of Nebraska to close the year. Start getting Detroit hotels booked!

Reactions: BustingNarratives
When Iowa has their worst offensive performances it is usually because the opposing defense can completely shut down the run and force Iowa to win through the air (ala Wisconsin v Iowa for the past 10 years). Iowa's offense can look semi-competent if it is able to run consistently and be in 2nd-5, 3rd-2 type situations. That is why I would say PUMP THE BRAKES on thinking this offense is revitalized because I am envisioning more of what we saw the past few weeks coming soon! Northwestern's defense is 112th in the country aka horrendous. Let's take a look at the remaining teams rushing defense:

@ Purdue 18th
Wisconsin 25th
@ Minnesota 26th
Nebraska 115th !!! (this is why we dominate them consistently)

For context the teams we have lost to:

Iowa St 15th
Michigan 5th
Illinois 2nd
Ohio St 8th

I will predict 2-2 finish with a blowout of Nebraska to close the year. Start getting Detroit hotels booked!

5 of our first 7 FBS opponents had top 15 defenses, and SDSU is near the top in FCS I believe. It doesn't excuse all the struggles of the offense, but especially for a young OL it certainly didn't help!

The OL has been much improved but as the OP points out, their improvement correlates to playing teams that don't have stellar run defenses. Johnson's ability to make something out of nothing has given the run game a big boost as well. Credit BF, as much as it pains me to type that, for some good situational play calling.

The RB by committee should be over at this point. KJ needs to get the majority of the snaps and get more balls thrown to him on screens. Time to can the jet sweep. It's super predictable and utterly ineffective other than to lose multiple yards.

Reactions: MonmouthHawk
Against teams that are dedicated to the run and have big olines we're a little "light in the bucket" along the defensive front. Shannon is got the build but at only 290 he'll give away 20 +lbs in situations

Minnesota-lightest oline is 305, largest 330
Wisky-lightest 310, largest 317
Nebbie-lightest 295, largest 315 - * notably smaller across the front than the others.

I like our depth and really like the way some of the younger tackles are developing. We will be challenged by Minnie and Wisky, big lines and good-great backs. Gotta win one of those two.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Against teams that are dedicated to the run and have big olines we're a little "light in the bucket" along the defensive front. Shannon is got the build but at only 290 he'll give away 20 +lbs in situations

Minnesota-lightest oline is 305, largest 330
Wisky-lightest 310, largest 317
Nebbie-lightest 295, largest 315 - * notably smaller across the front than the others.

I like our depth and really like the way some of the younger tackles are developing. We will be challenged by Minnie and Wisky, big lines and good-great backs. Gotta win one of those two.

Don’t forget black at 300 lb as well.

Reactions: Cresthawk
ADVERTISEMENT